PDA

View Full Version : Mold handle question

oscarflytyer
03-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Have all Lee molds until now. And learned the Lee handle is permanent!

So, I now have a single cavity older Lyman mold and double cavity older RCBS mold - and no handles.

Are the RCBS and Lyman handles for double cavity molds interchangeable? Or do I need specific Lyman and RCBS handles? Thanx

Beagle333
03-19-2015, 07:02 PM
I use Lee 6-cav handles. That's your cheapest route. They will fit the Lymans as-is. Most times they will fit the RCBS, but sometimes they need just a bit of thinning down on the thickness.
Here's a thread on that....
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?154184-Lee-6-Cavity-Handle-interchange-Use-list

pworley1
03-19-2015, 08:54 PM
+1 on the Lee handles.

osteodoc08
03-19-2015, 09:24 PM
RCBS will need to be thinned out to work. Some (most?) Lyman's as well. I know my older Lyman's are thinner than standard Lee.

Ive got mostly NOE, Accurate and MP molds and they all use standard Lees. The one RCBS I have an RCBS handle on and the few Lyman's have nutcracker lyman handles. Hate those darn things. I guess I haven't got those down just yet.

country gent
03-19-2015, 09:28 PM
The Lee 6 cavity handles are good but occasionally may need a bit of tuning. I have used RCBS Lyman Lees in the standard type handles with good results. I also have 2 sets of the cabine tree locking handles that do a great job and an added plus is closed tension is always the same with them. They are heavier than the others though. I would go with the Lees I ordered 2 sets from midways last week and found out they were on sale as a plus.

oscarflytyer
03-19-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanx guys. Lee 2 cav DEF WON'T work - because you can NOT get the screws loose! I do have some Lee 6 cav handles and can check a pair - and adjust as necessary. THANX!