PDA

View Full Version : Dillon brass processor

rockitrob
03-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Just got my new Dillon brass processor going ! Sometimes called an RL550 this one is set up to process OPB in 223. Stage one is a Dillon size/decap die. [really like those dies!] Bottom of the that stage in place of the primer assembly is a swage device I got from Ebay from GS Custom. This swage works like a ram. It goes in like a wedge so you have to kind of stab in a little at the bottom of the stroke a little harder than priming. Set up was easy and it does not move when mounted and came with small and large swage pins. Next stage empty so the RT 1200 trimmer misses the die which is on the third stage. Once set up trims fairly close but really fast. To get me length on my bucket head shop vac I went over to the sump pump area and bought the same size hose for those for 10 bucks at 25 feet. Cut a section off at the convenient cut offs and no adapters were required for the shop vac or the trimmer. I would say that this is faster than loading the easiest pistol bullets on this because it eliminates having to put a bullet in. Every pull of the lever gives me a sized, decapped and trimmed piece of brass all in one.

rockitrob
03-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Forgot pictures

garym1a2
03-19-2015, 07:16 PM
what is the primer swage device? Do you have a link.?

Just got my new Dillon brass processor going ! Sometimes called an RL550 this one is set up to process OPB in 223. Stage one is a Dillon size/decap die. [really like those dies!] Bottom of the that stage in place of the primer assembly is a swage device I got from Ebay from GS Custom. This swage works like a ram. It goes in like a wedge so you have to kind of stab in a little at the bottom of the stroke a little harder than priming. Set up was easy and it does not move when mounted and came with small and large swage pins. Next stage empty so the RT 1200 trimmer misses the die which is on the third stage. Once set up trims fairly close but really fast. To get me length on my bucket head shop vac I went over to the sump pump area and bought the same size hose for those for 10 bucks at 25 feet. Cut a section off at the convenient cut offs and no adapters were required for the shop vac or the trimmer. I would say that this is faster than loading the easiest pistol bullets on this because it eliminates having to put a bullet in. Every pull of the lever gives me a sized, decapped and trimmed piece of brass all in one.

altheating
03-19-2015, 08:45 PM
I did the same thing on my Dillon 1050. Set a second tool head up with the dillon trimmer. Deprime, size, swage and trim? Much better than the old way, one case at a time and three steps. You sure can do a bunch of brass real quick. I bet you just love processing brass now with your new setup. One thing I am going to do is get a roller handle for both of my 550's.

jmorris
03-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Yeah, on a 650 or 1050 be can size/deprime and trim around 1800 an hour.

I have tried just about every swager except the GS at one time or another. Never messed with them because you loose the Dillon no BS warranty and seemed to have mixed reviews on how well they removed the crimp. The 1050 is the one I like the best.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-20-2015, 08:17 PM

Something you might want to rethink is sizing in the first stage. If you do that, the sizing die that is the Dillon Size & Trim die will not hold the brass as tightly when it is trimming, potentially causing the brass to slip and the trim to be inaccurate. I changed my first stage to an RCBS lube/decapping die that lubes the case and removes the primer. This greatly smoothed up the operation with the Dillon size/trim die and made the process much nicer. RCBS sells the lube dies in .308 and .223. The RCBS lube works great and can easily be tumbled off after you're done (along with any brass trimmings) with the brass on your press.