PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 7mm Rem mag to 338 Rem ultra mag

Desertbuck
03-19-2015, 12:01 PM
So I was talking to my uncle how I would love to find a Ruger #1 action and build a 338 Remington ultra Magnum. Well he walks into the back room and walks out and places in my hands a beautiful 1976 Ruger #1 in 7mm Remington mag but unfortunately has a busted stock. Just before I left he places it in a gun case and throws it in the back seat of my truck. Find out if you can do it. IF its doable it's yours for $400 if not replace the stock and I will pay you back for the stock work you do. OR you can still buy it for me your choice.

I know it can already be done I just can't choose a barrel maker.
I'm looking for something in the 30 inch range maybe even a little longer, carbon steel not stainless. I want the finished rifle to be around 11 pounds if it's a little heavier I don't mind.
Carrying around a little bit of extra weight on my shoulders never bother me much while hunting.
So my question to you guys is any pointers to who can make a barrel for me for my project of converting this to a 338 Remington ultra.
Thanks.
DB

rockrat
03-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Goodsteel

edit==the above to INSTALL it, not make a barrel. Pointed out to me I answered wrong.

Plenty of barrel MAKERS out there to make you a barrel. Goodsteel to INSTALL it (if he's willing)

Nobade
03-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Not sure how comfortable I would be with a 64,000 psi rated cartridge with a .550" head chambered in something with a 1 inch barrel shank. Just something to think about.

-Nobade

Desertbuck
03-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Not sure how comfortable I would be with a 64,000 psi rated cartridge with a .550" head chambered in something with a 1 inch barrel shank. Just something to think about.

-Nobade

The 338 winchester mag is a 64,000 psi rated round. The #1 comes chamber for it from the Ruger factory. I'm going to have a barrel made from scratch so the barrel shank size will not be a problem.
And the 338 Remington ultra is only 1000 psi more then the 338 Winchester so the #1 should be more than sufficient.

rockrat
03-20-2015, 11:05 AM
You could just pick up a #1-s 338wm and have it rechambered. Barrel is 26" long and you might want to add some weight to the stock and forearm. Just a thought

timspawn
03-20-2015, 12:13 PM
If Goodsteel can't help you, (check with him first) contact SSK. They have a good reputation when it comes to No.1's.

Nobade
03-20-2015, 08:52 PM
The 338 winchester mag is a 64,000 psi rated round. The #1 comes chamber for it from the Ruger factory. I'm going to have a barrel made from scratch so the barrel shank size will not be a problem.
And the 338 Remington ultra is only 1000 psi more then the 338 Winchester so the #1 should be more than sufficient.

Quite true. However, the 338 Win Mag has a .515" head. When Savage went to the WSM cases they upped the thread shank to 1.125", and Winchester made the threads a lot finer than before. Of course, lots of #1s have been chambered for the big Weatherby cases and hold up OK, so likely you'll do just fine.

-Nobade