PDA

View Full Version : 38 spl roll crimp q

soldierbilly1
03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
No visible roll crimp on the crimp groove!

I am using the Lee 4 die set for my 38 spl reloads. This set features a 38 spl factory sizer/crimp die ... this is the 4th die of a 4 die set. I am trying to adjust for a roll crimp but can't seem to get one. Instructions say to put loaded round in, run the adjust screw down until I feel the case mouth.

I am not feeling any case mouth!

The die seems to be working as the loaded rounds fit well in my case gauge and revolver cylinder, however, I do not "see" any roll crimp on the case mouth. I tried a case without a bullet, and no help at all (???) It is doing a light size on the way in and the way out.
How is this thing supposed to work?

I am using lee RNFP lead cowboy bullets 158 gr.

what am I doing wrong???
bill boy

jcren
03-19-2015, 10:31 AM
I think you just haven't adjusted the die far enough. I use that same die set, and I recall that it arrived with the crimp adjustment stem turned all the way out. Mine are currently set up with less than an 1/8 inch between the knurled crimp stem and the die body.

soldierbilly1
03-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Ouch. I did not believe the adjuster had to be turned down that far! She is up and running now. Thanks Billboy

jcren
03-19-2015, 08:40 PM
No problem, glad I could help.

Motor
03-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Sometimes guys don't adjust the die "body" down close enough to the shell holder and may run out of adjustment on the crimp plunger too. That die body should not contact the shell holder BTW.

You very likely know this. Good to hear you got working. Also you didn't mention what type bullet you were using but there are some people including myself that don't use the pistol FCD with cast boolits. Post sizing can be very undesirable with oversize boolits.

Motor

brassrat
03-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Just my thoughts, but I have lately been using basically, no crimp at all, in a mild .38 load and getting the best results ever.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Crimping in the 38 special is necessary to some extent in revolvers to prevent the bullet from moving forward in the cylinder due to inertia. It is commonly seen on round nose bullets like the Lyman 311. It is sometimes used on wadcutters as well. If you can get by without any crimp being applied and you have no problem then go with it that way. Crimping cold works the brass and shortens its life, so the less the better. The taper crimp is less harmful than the roll crimp. LLS