PDA

View Full Version : Affordable AXIS has potential

randyrat
03-19-2015, 09:07 AM
I decided to work up a load for the 7mm08 AXIS using cast. Basically I set out to find a load that I can refine for target shooting close range (under100 yds).
The load and some specs.
-Using the only LEE bullet I could find which is the C285-130r (90360) Cast out of WW + a little Lino to keep the weight about 130 grains..
- TAC 1 lube
- IMR 30-31
-No special treatment of brass -all about the same length- clean good brass
- a small tuff of Kapok- Not sure if this is really needed
-Seated to about 2.52 OAL
- started out using 19.5 and worked up to 22 grains.
I shot this load after drinking a large cup of Coffee equal to 2 cups, thinking it was DeCaf (turned out to be regular coffee) I figured that out when I sat down on the shooting bench and I couldn't control my heart rate....Thumpdy thumpdy
But with all in all the AXIS can shoot and is promising...I think I will work with this gun more it has potential!
The pic says 140 grain it should say 130 grain

pietro
03-19-2015, 12:18 PM

Your rifle has plenty of potential.

A few years ago, my (adult) Son won a new .223 Axis factory package deal (w/cheap scope), in a $20 game dinner raffle, that shoots well under an inch @ 100yds out-of-the-box (El Cheapo scope not with stranding).

He doesn't really care about group size, since he's 99% a hunter, and no animal yet has stuck around long enough to shoot a group on if the 1st shot is a miss.

Bulldogger
03-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Glad to hear YOUR rifles are good. My AXIS on the other hand was a disappointment. Caveat emptor, it's a budget rifle through and through.
Bulldogger

LynC2
03-19-2015, 02:19 PM
I bought a LH one for just the action. So did a friend of mine who sold off the stock on fleabay and replaced it with a Boyds. We're happy with them after a bit of parts swapping and work. :smile:

Artful
03-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Glad to hear YOUR rifles are good. My AXIS on the other hand was a disappointment. Caveat emptor, it's a budget rifle through and through.
Bulldogger

can we hear the rest of the story?

randyrat
03-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah, when you get to the higher velocities loads is when you wish for a stiffer stock, bedded nicely.

NoAngel
03-19-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm happy for you.

Mine was a piece of cråp.

randyrat
03-19-2015, 08:01 PM
I'd like to know what you mean by a piece of Crappola, just out of curiosity. Kinda give the rest of us an idea of what to look for.

MBTcustom
03-19-2015, 09:29 PM
bedding the Axis takes a little savvy, as well as doing away with the disgusting excuse of a recoil lug, and that plastic stock has to go, as well as the factory trigger (if you dont have the acutrigger).
Other than that, it's a strong, well made action that might have a "so so" to "utterly despicable" barrel screwed into it.
After getting all the issues lined out, and blueprinting the action, I like to think of it as a magazine fed F class Savage. They are remarkably similar.

NoAngel
03-19-2015, 10:07 PM
You could have removed the action and strung the stock like a bow. Never seen so much flex.
The plastic clip on the magazine sucks. It will break.
It got hot ....FAST.

THe barreled action was acceptable scent for the super thin barrel. It would shoot jacketed loads well. Three round groups were decent. After five rounds it would open up until it cooled.

LynC2
03-20-2015, 12:17 AM
bedding the Axis takes a little savvy, as well as doing away with the disgusting excuse of a recoil lug, and that plastic stock has to go, as well as the factory trigger (if you dont have the acutrigger).
Other than that, it's a strong, well made action that might have a "so so" to "utterly despicable" barrel screwed into it.
After getting all the issues lined out, and blueprinting the action, I like to think of it as a magazine fed F class Savage. They are remarkably similar.

I believe Goodsteel summed it up pretty well. I despise the poor excuse for a recoil lug also. I faced off the front of my receiver to eliminate the unthreaded area where the recoil lug fits and to square up the action's face. I then used an aftermarket conventional style recoil lug and barreled it up like a Remington 700. After a bunch of work on the factory trigger it was passable. Too bad it doesn't use a Rem. style trigger as I like the action itself.
I also agree with NoAngel, the factory stock might be usable for a boat paddle in an emergency. I have no idea on the quality of the barrel, I removed it as soon as I got the rifle and replaced it with a Shilen profiled blank that I had ordered.

koger
03-20-2015, 12:34 AM
The barrels are the same sporter barrels on all savage hunting rifles. The 2 axis rifles I have owned, shot very well, cheap stock is junk, but had no problems so far. My .223, shot 3/4 and under groups with whatever I put in it, that was good ammo, not junk. The 30/06 was a honest 1 inch rifle, with factory Federal and Rem 150 grainers. A lot of folks don't seem to understand, you actually get way more than you pay for in these rifles.

JonnyReb
03-20-2015, 08:18 AM
My .308 is awesome.
$256.00 and does 3\4"-1" 100 yard groups with a variety of factory ammo. Smooth, lightweight, decent hunting trigger...only complaint coming could be the magazine clip but so far so good. For the money i can't ask for anything more in a knockaround hunting rifle.

Moonie
03-27-2015, 03:11 PM
I have an Edge in 30-06, I replaced the horrible flexy stock with a Boyds lightweight thumbhole stock. I also worked on the trigger and it is nice, light and crisp now. I have a new scope for it but the rings and mount didn't work with the scope (scope too short) so I'm waiting on a one piece picatiny rail to show up. The cheap scope that my son got on the rifle when he bought it is horrible. He bought it at 17 to go hunting, decided he wanted a 300 WM and I figured I'd take Colonel Whelen's advice as I'd never had a 30-06.

Rhou45
03-31-2015, 07:21 PM
I got lucky with my Axis 223, for the money it is a good coyote/range gun. Easy to maintain 3/4 inch groups as long as I allow time between groups. The stock is cheap and the magazine is sure to fail at some point, but what do you expect for the 250 invested? If I get dissatisfied at some point in the future, it is easy enough to either sell it and get my money back or change all the parts except the action and turn it into something else. Win-win

monge
04-02-2015, 07:34 PM
My AXIS Is in 3006 shoots well put a boyds thumb hole stock on it and a leupold vx-1 3-9-40 hand loads shoot 1/2 @ 100yards 5 shot groups first three almost touch! don't be fooled these guns are shooters, I like the axis trigger better than the accutrigger don't like the weight of the first trigger on my finger! Axis trigger is easy to work on and is simple just what you want on a fridged day in the woods.does the action have nice shiny blueing no, is the bolt silky smooth no, But if your looking for great project gun and like to work on guns you can build one for $600 complete with stock and scope. that's less than a premium rifle without optics!