PDA

View Full Version : Question on leather care/maintenance

mtnman31
03-19-2015, 08:49 AM
I've got a lace-on, leather buttstock cartridge holder on one of my rolling blocks. It is a couple years old, a dark, chocolate brown color and fairly thick in construction. Over the course of a couple weeks, the surface develops a waxy or greasy film on it. It looks sort powdery and chalky but is more milky and waxy/greasy to the touch It develops mostly on the smooth side of the leather. The unfinished side (side in contact with the wood) doesn't seem to get the film. It wipes off with a dry cloth but shows up again after a week or two. I have never treated the leather with anything and it has never seen inclement weather. I assume it is something leeching out of the leather left behind from the processing. A: What is it? B:Is there something I can do to stop it?

This is one of those questions/topics where I wasn't sure which section would be best to post in. You want to post where appropriate but also where it will get the visibility to actually get answered. Apologies if it isn't in the right section.

leebuilder
03-19-2015, 09:09 AM
I use Dubbin shoe water proofing and or Mink Oil both can be found near shoe care products.
another product i really been liking alot is Lexol, found that at a farm supply store it is used for maintaining horse saddles.
All these products seap into the leather and prevent further cracking and have not seen any mold return.
they are all rub in/ rub off type of products. They clean the surface of the leather aswell. I use it to restore old leather straps and holsters and use them on my leather mittens and gloves after exposure to salt water.
Hope this helps

firebrick43
03-19-2015, 11:22 AM
After two decades of taking care of saddles, draft horse harnesses scabbards and holsters it's hard to beat saddle soap for cleaning and beats foot oil to feed the leather.

I do use mink oil as well on boots. Find it works better applied to warm leather (130 degrees or so) so it can actually soak in

cajun shooter
03-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Having raised and rode Quarter Horses I'll give a big PLUS 1 on using Saddle soap first. This cleans the leather pores and gets them ready for a good leather finish like the Lexol that was posted by another member. These products may be found in any good feed store or a saddle shop if you have any in your area.
Another product that does well on leather gear and I found this out by trial and error. It's called Ballistol and is used by BP shooters in cleaning the BP guns after firing. This product not only cleans guns, heals small cuts , scratches it also treats and protects leather. It was discovered by the Germans in 1904 as something that could be issued to the German army that would take care of the many things they packed in the field. It's said to work on leather( It works, tested by me) keeps it waterproof and soft. It's also used as a field dressing. I keep it in my shooting cart as a go for product. Later David

robg
03-23-2015, 09:23 AM
neatsfoot oil works well for protecting the leather. ive used it on motor bike boots , gloves ,belts jackets helps keep the rain out and the leather soft and supple.wipe it on leave overnight wipe of excess with dry cloth , job done. it will darken pale leather though.

doc1876
03-23-2015, 09:32 AM
If it returns after this, gently wipe with vinegar, & oil it again.

waksupi
03-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Neatsfoot oil will rot linen stitching. I didn't know this until an old outfitter friend told me, and showed me some tack he was repairing in his tack room.

Saddle soap and Lexol does everything you need to preserve leather.

lefty o
03-23-2015, 11:34 AM
id do your research, as 98% of the commonly recommended things to put on leather cause more harm than good.

firebrick43
03-25-2015, 03:04 AM
Neatsfoot oil does not rot linen thread. Neatsfoot compound (which contains petroleum) will.

The petroleum penetrates the threads wax coating and then allows moisture to do its work.

smokeywolf
03-25-2015, 04:25 AM
Another user of saddle soap here. For a conditioner, I have used Lexol, Neatsfoot and for extremely dry neglected leather articles, Hydrophane.

smokeywolf

abunaitoo
03-25-2015, 11:29 PM
I've been using "Picards".
Seems to work well.
Friend of mine used automotive brake fluid. I'm not to keen on that, but it's not my leather.

kenyerian
03-26-2015, 12:04 AM
+ 1 on saddle soap

Petrol & Powder
03-26-2015, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure what is causing the wax like build up the OP described but it does sound as if something is leaching out. My guess is that will stop at some point as the leather ages. As for the recommendations posted, I've used several of them. Mink oil is a decent waterproofing compound and most brands have some silicon mixed in. I've used Ballistol and it works to keep leather soft but it may make some leather too soft. I use it for straps and belts but not on holsters. I would recommend testing it first so you can get an idea if it is what you want. It does have a wide range of uses but it also has a distinct odor.

charlie3tuna
03-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Everything said above about this product is true, except I've never (yet) encountered a leather it softened too much. Also, it will eliminate acid in leather and keep it from corroding metal...charlie

DCP
03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Read this

https://www.pecard.com/

https://www.pecard.com/about_us.html

great stuff

robg
03-28-2015, 07:16 AM
saddle soap cleans ,hydrovane is refined neatsfoot oil it does not rot stitching .it preserves leather by replacing natural oils lost over time.

smokeywolf
03-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Hydrophane is actually a brand name. They market several types of leather and equine related products (including saddle soap). Their "Leather Dressing" is likely as robg states, a refined neatsfoot oil.

smokeywolf

gnoahhh
03-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Neatsfoot oil does not rot linen thread. Neatsfoot compound (which contains petroleum) will.

The petroleum penetrates the threads wax coating and then allows moisture to do its work.

Ditto. Neatsfoot compound is omnipresent unfortunately. You have to dig deep to find the Real McCoy neatsfoot oil. I found a gallon jug of it at a tack shop 15 years ago and I figure what I have left will last me another 15 years. That plus saddle soap, Pecard's, Lexol. mink oil, etc. used where/when required is all a guy needs.