PDA

View Full Version : Movie 3:10 To Yuma - Hollywood -Finally- Got One Right..

DougGuy
03-18-2015, 10:59 PM
I was quite impressed with the guns used in the movie and how correctly portrayed they were. Thell Reed did a wonderful job of not only coaching the actors but making sure the prop guns were correct and that they were basically used and loaded correctly.

There are no 7 shooters in this western, the good guy don't get shot in the leg and wrap it up with a kerchief and ride off with the girl at the end like it ain't nothing but a scratch.

The SAA props were Colts, but the entire production saw 1875 Remingtons, S&W Schofields, 1851 Navy revolvers with Richards-Mason cartridge conversions, the newest gun that I saw in the movie was an 1882 Spencer shotgun, there was a yellow boy, a few Winchester rifles, and one contract S&W displayed. They used a genuine .45 caliber Gatling gun in scenes where there was no risk of damage to the real article, and in scenes where the Gatling gun was on the back of an out of control stage coach, they used a rubber prop that looked like the real thing.

Equally impressive was the fact that most of the guns looked new or with very little use, and considering the timeframe of the movie would be between 1882 and 1900 or so, real guns back in those days would have been new looking, not all worn with patina like the props used in the spaghetti westerns of the 1950s.

KUDOS to Thell Reed!

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=3:10_to_Yuma_%282007%29

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/400px-HandOfGod_zps4f5oeh09.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/400px-HandOfGod_zps4f5oeh09.jpg.html)

jmort
03-19-2015, 12:18 AM
Great movie, completely agree.

Scharfschuetze
03-19-2015, 01:46 AM
Yep. Great movie and this (circa 1957) wasn't a bad version either.

seaboltm
03-19-2015, 03:24 AM
1957 version was great, which is why it was remade. However, I think the remake was better than the original. Sort of like Dredd was much better than Judge Dredd (Stallone hammed it up too much).

warboar_21
03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
It's been awhile since I have seen it. I enjoyed it then though. Think i'll have to look for it on NetFlix.

gwpercle
03-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Thell Reed, that's one man I want on my side in an old west six gun shoot out!
He was fast and accurate!
Gary

groovy mike
03-20-2015, 07:48 AM
I liked the original better than the remake.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Really enjoyed the new movie, then got a copy of the old version and the new one on DVD. Great movies. Went to the theater with one of my shooting buddies when it came out to see the new version. The scene with the Gatling gun gun mounted on the rear boot of the stagecoach being fired at moving targets while the team was pulling the stagecoach was at full gallop was entertaining, it was not realistic. And me and my buddy scoffed at the scene where the frontier lawmen laid down their guns.

The actors really carried the story and the details in making that movie were excellence.

osteodoc08
03-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Great movie indeed. May have to dig it up and watch it again.

GoodOlBoy
03-20-2015, 04:02 PM
I guess I am going to have to be the guy with the hated opinion. I don't think the 2007 remake held a candle to the original movie. In fact it was, again my opinion, so BAD that it is the ONLY western movie I ever bought then turned around and sold my copy of. I think my major major issue with the thing is how badly I hated Christian Bale, and how badly I think he botched the part. Russell Crowe did a HECK of a good job in it, and yes the guns were spot on, and the cinematography was really well done. I would rather be forced to watch "A Million Ways to Die in the West" a hundred times than have to watch the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" ever again.

Again my opinion. I am also a BIG fan of "Paint Your Wagon" and most folks I know don't like it, so I am usually the odd man out. I also refused to watch, and will refuse to watch the remake of "True Grit".

GoodOlBoy

Piedmont
03-20-2015, 11:27 PM
The True Grit remake was much better than the original in my opinion and closely followed the book. Never saw either Yuma movie.

seaboltm
03-21-2015, 01:00 AM
I guess I am going to have to be the guy with the hated opinion. I don't think the 2007 remake held a candle to the original movie. In fact it was, again my opinion, so BAD that it is the ONLY western movie I ever bought then turned around and sold my copy of. I think my major major issue with the thing is how badly I hated Christian Bale, and how badly I think he botched the part. Russell Crowe did a HECK of a good job in it, and yes the guns were spot on, and the cinematography was really well done. I would rather be forced to watch "A Million Ways to Die in the West" a hundred times than have to watch the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" ever again.

Again my opinion. I am also a BIG fan of "Paint Your Wagon" and most folks I know don't like it, so I am usually the odd man out. I also refused to watch, and will refuse to watch the remake of "True Grit".

GoodOlBoy

Well, you are from deep East Texas. Enough said. East Texas is a different world, and not much like the rest of Texas. More like Louisiana. Deep South, not West.

Multigunner
03-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Watched a pretty good western a couple of months ago called "the Salvation".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoSCdnwOB8

GoodOlBoy
03-21-2015, 05:23 AM
ya got that right seaboltm. East Texas river bottoms and piney woods are a different critter.

For reference I also like most John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Ben Johnson, and other western movies.

Have a good one!

GoodOlBoy

Rhou45
03-22-2015, 05:45 PM
I agree, the remake was a good western.

I too find it hard to get behind Christian Bale movies, Russell Crowe carried this one for him.

The level of effort they went to make sure the guns were time period accurate speaks volumes of how the Western movie industry has changed over the years. We do not get enough new westerns, and have to settle for remakes in may instances. But at least we get some new ones to enjoy.

The new True Grit was a good example as well. There are not many actors today that can remake a western, let alone a John Wayne western and not be criticized. When I heard Jeff Bridges was remaking true grit, I rolled my eyes and about puked. I thought really, Jeff Bridges, the big Lebowski? After watching the remake, I had to reassess. He made a convincing Rooster Cogburn. My hats off to his ability to transform himself as an actor.