PDA

View Full Version : 6 inch ruger gp100

Mauser48
03-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Ok it doesnt sound like the 1911 is the winner for what I want to do and what I want to spend. Im now looking at the ruger gp100 and I'm stuck on it. I used to have one but sold it and wanted one ever since. The previous one I had had a 4 inch barrel. I shoot steel targets at the range 35 to 100 yards away so I'm thinking the 6 inch would be better. Im also looking fir good accuracy. How well does the 6 inch compare to the 4 inch in terms of balance and accuracy. Im mainly concerned about how well it balances. Carry is not really an issue the only time I do carry is out in the desert so concealment is not an issue. Also I would be shooting berry's plated bullets. How well do they shoot with those and is 700x a good 357 powder. When I had my 4 inch gp100 i wasnt hand loading at the time.Any recommended loads? And recommended bullet weight? Thanks guys!

Petrol & Powder
03-18-2015, 08:06 PM
You got a lot of questions there !

I consider a 6" barreled revolver to be a dedicated target or hunting gun but it sounds like you're not too concerned about carrying it. The longer barrel gives you a bit more velocity and 2 more inches between the sights. For me that extra 2" isn't worth what you get for it, but that's me.
There are tons of good loads for the .357 and the GP-100 is an excellent tool to explore them.

It sounds to me like you really want a 6" tube and are looking for confirmation or validation. It's your gun, get what you want!

Ed_Shot
03-18-2015, 08:22 PM
I shoot a Ruger SS 6" and reload for my brother's GP 100 6" and they are both tack drivers. I agree with Petrol & Powder, "there are tons of good loads for .357" and these 6" Rugers are fantastic with 38 Spl loads also.

Go with what feels good to you.

Rhou45
03-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Have had my Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel over 20 years. I have not found a load it doesn't like. Probably the best revolver I have ever owned.

It eats everything I feed it without an issue.

For hunting purposes, the 6" barrel is just the right size to carry and hunt with without being so large as to be difficult to carry comfortably. Revolvers with barrels longer (my old RBH 44mag with 7.5" for example) seemed awkward to carry.

The 125 gr bullets have a lot of energy, but depending on what you are hunting you can vary from 110 gr up to 200gr hard cast. Whatever you need/want.

Like others said, if it is what you want get it. A 357mag in a strong revolver with 6" barrel is a great choice, very versatile.

Petrol & Powder
03-18-2015, 09:12 PM
I've owned and shot a bunch of GP-100's and they are great revolvers. Very strong, durable, accurate and excellent values. I'm always a bit amused when I hear some gun store "expert" comment on the "horrible" trigger of a Ruger DA revolver as if they knew what a good or bad trigger was. While it is true that the GP-100 trigger can be a bit heavy out of the box, it can be greatly improved with just a little work. A spring kit and some careful polishing will put it in the same league as most new S&W's.
In terms of strength and accuracy; I'd put a GP-100 up against a S&W L-frame any day. The GP-100 is a bit heavy for its class but super strong. It's hard to go wrong with a GP-100.

As for loads, I lean towards 38 Special more than .357 magnum these days but any 158 gr SWC driven at sane velocities will shoot better than I can out of a GP-100. Unless you need maximum velocity, a plain base lead SWC will handle a vast majority of your shooting needs.

Maine1
03-20-2015, 12:15 AM
The GP 100 is/was on my short list of must buy revolvers. I have a 6" P, and its a great gun. It actually carrier quite well. i carried it in addition to my full size glock when i first bought it, i liked it thart much. its a great shooter, the full underlug really helps the shot to shot recovery with magnums.

Still want a 4" and a 3' version, though.

Petrol & Powder
03-20-2015, 10:01 AM
I like revolvers and have a few with longer barrels but I prefer the shorter tubes. For me....a 4" barrel is about the perfect compromise between bulk, weight and accuracy. Anything longer is just unwieldy, in my opinion. This is far from royal decree, YMMV.
A 5" tapered barrel has some strong merit but those are rare.
2" barreled "snubnosed" revolvers are outstanding tools for concealed carry and I find a 3" to be an excellent self defense tool. The larger grip and slightly longer barrel of a 3" revolver makes it one of the best "packable" combat guns around [again, lot's of personal opinion here :-o ].

During my very informal research of gun store stock, I find that 4" revolvers tend to sell quickly and revolvers with 6" or longer barrels tend to be traded in more often and stay in the display case longer. At any given time there tends to be more 6" barreled revolvers available. I think that perceived availability is often misinterpreted as "desirable" or "popular". The buyer sees lots of one type and makes the assumption, "They have lots of them for sale so they must be popular models"; instead of "they can't sell that model and therefore have a surplus".
There's nothing wrong with wanting a 6" barreled revolver and they certainly have their uses but it appears a lot of people buy them and later re-evaluate their needs.
Again, this is not fact or rule, just my take on the issue.

texassako
03-20-2015, 10:48 AM
I have a stainless 6" Security Six that comes along every range trip and most trips to our woods/pond. I like the 6" barrel but lately have been wondering how a 4" would feel. 700-x isn't going to get you full magnum performance, but it should be a good target or plinking powder. A ~158gr SWC in the .357 Magnum are made for each other.

Petrol & Powder
03-20-2015, 12:07 PM
The vast majority of my shooting does not involve magnum cartridges but when seeking magnum performance H110 is generally my choice of powder. The 158gr SWC is a great all-around bullet.

bhn22
03-20-2015, 01:04 PM
700X is a great shotshell powder, but a mediocre handgun powder. The only reason for this statement is that it's a pain to meter accurately through most powder measures. It is a really fast burning powder, and is not suited for magnum loads. It is serviceable in target level loads, particularly in 38 Spl.
As mentioned before, there are tradeoffs in barrel length. I too, favor 4 inch barrels for general utility, but I keep a 6 in. GP100 that's set up for target shooting. My oldest son has blown uncounted thousands of 38 Spl wadcutter loads through the gun. I also have a Millett front sight on it because I originally purchased it for deer hunting. Unfortunately, I never did take it out for deer, but I have every faith in it's potential to deliver there. The heavier 6 inch barrel does add a bit of stability for offhand shooting. The weight dampens my shakey hands a bit. shooting out to 100 yards accurately is more about the shooter, than the gun. 100 yards isn't that far, and once you gain experience and confidence to take 100 yard shots with a revolver, you will do well.

Harry O
03-20-2015, 02:30 PM
I have a 4" model and wanted a 6" model. In handling the 6" gun, I did not like the balance. It was too heavy up front (imagine that with a full underlug). I ran across an old blued model with a 6" barrel, but the underlug is the same length as the 4" model. I much preferred the balance of that one and bought it.

The trigger pulls are poor compared to my S&W's, but that can be improved. Otherwise, it is a "hell-for-stout" gun that will be working long after the S&W's shoot loose.

John Allen
03-20-2015, 02:43 PM
I have a 6" GP100 it is a great gun. I shoot a 158 semiwadcutter and it is a tack driver.

bhn22
03-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Harry makes a good point. I've never been a fan of Rugers factory style grips for nose-heavy guns. Hogue grips seem to work much better for longer barrels.

John Allen
03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I put hogues on mine. The hogues always point better for me.

Petrol & Powder
03-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Harry does make a good point, a full under lug on a 4" may be useful, albeit a tad heavy, with full magnum loads but a full under lugged 6" barrel is excessively heavy. The Security-Six and Service-Six Rugers were (and continue to be) amazing guns. The Six series Rugers were very strong but not as heavy and bulky as the GP-100's. The GP's are incredibly strong and far more common these days but the Six series remain very good options and my favorite Ruger DA revolvers.

daniel lawecki
03-20-2015, 08:31 PM
I shoot the full under lug 6"' and love that gun my favorite gun in my safe.

bluelund79
03-21-2015, 10:06 PM
I have a 6" GP100, its a fantastic pistol. I only kill steel and paper with it since I have a couple of 44 magnums for hunting. Its extremely accurate with either 38 or 357mag handloads. Since I haven't started casting yet, I use commercially cast 158gr SWC. There are too many good powders to list a favorite, but that bullet is all that goes through mine. I did one upgrade to that pistol, and that was to put Herrett's Jordan Trooper stocks on it. Fit to my hand, reduces felt recoil in my opinion and looks better than the factory rubber grips.

TCLouis
03-21-2015, 10:28 PM
I am one of the unusual ones that liked the GP100/SRH grip, but went to Hogues and they are good too.

Hogues or that style is what comes on GP100s now so you don't have to pay to change them out.

Mauser48
03-21-2015, 11:47 PM
How are the redwood hogues on them? They look awesome!

Harry O
03-22-2015, 04:44 PM
A couple of things I should mention about the GP-100. There used to be a long PDF on the Internet called the "Iowegan's book of knowledge for the Ruger GP-100". It is no longer where I printed it off, but there are several pages of mentions if you do a search on it. I will leave someone else to search out a current web address. It is without a doubt, the best set of instructions I have ever seen for cleaning up a revolver, with detailed descriptions and lots of photographs. I went through both of mine with those instructions in hand. They were considerably improved when I got done.

I also ordered a set of Wolff reduced power springs for them at the same time. The set comes with three different spring weights, all of them less than the factory spring. The lightest mainspring would not set off all primers, failing fire 2 to 5 times in 100 rounds in both guns. Running them through a second time would fire them. So I removed the lightest springs and tried the middle weight spring. The 4" gun has worked perfectly with that one. The 6" gun had two failures to fire in about 500 rounds. I decided to up the spring in that one to the heaviest spring in the kit (it is still less than the factory spring). I have not had a single failure to fire with either of them in several thousand rounds since then.

However, even after cleaning up the action with Iowegan's instructions and reducing the mainspring weight, the triggers are not as light and crisp as a good S&W's. It is considerably better than what it came with, though, and I strongly recommend it.

Petrol & Powder
03-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Solid advice from Harry O and I will add that the Ruger trigger can be improved to rival a S&W. When judging a DA trigger, smooth trumps light.

here's a link to the GP-100 IBOK: https://gunner777.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/ruger-gp100sp101book-of-knowledge/

Harry O
03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Solid advice from Harry O and I will add that the Ruger trigger can be improved to rival a S&W. When judging a DA trigger, smooth trumps light.

here's a link to the GP-100 IBOK: https://gunner777.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/ruger-gp100sp101book-of-knowledge/

That looks like the text, but there are not as many photos of the Ruger in that one.

rbertalotto
03-22-2015, 07:29 PM
My 6" GP100 stainless is easily the most accurate handgun I own. Even more accurate than my Freedom Arms that cost four times as much.

140g XTP over a stout load of H110 and it will shoot quarters at 25yds. It now wears a scope and eggs at 100yds are doable! The last gun of my collection I'll ever sell!

rfd
12-25-2015, 05:39 PM
My 6" GP100 stainless is easily the most accurate handgun I own. Even more accurate than my Freedom Arms that cost four times as much.

140g XTP over a stout load of H110 and it will shoot quarters at 25yds. It now wears a scope and eggs at 100yds are doable! The last gun of my collection I'll ever sell!

resurrecting an old post ... i have a gp100 6" coming next week and i'm curious to hear more about the scope on yers - what is it and how didja mount it?

Markbo
12-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Just check how many long range pistol champs on IHMSA use 4" guns.

str8wal
12-26-2015, 08:35 PM
I shoot the full under lug 6"' and love that gun my favorite gun in my safe.

Ditto!

tenx
12-27-2015, 05:30 AM
drilled and tapped my 6 inch stainless for a weigand mount and installed a ultra dot red dot sight and haven't looked back, tired eyesight has plagued me lately but now it's easy to shoot and enjoy. the ultra dot exploits the accuracy of the gun. a very accurate and fun pistol to shoot that will probably outlast me.

Markbo
12-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Have any pics tenx?

Kilroy08
12-28-2015, 11:34 AM
I ended up using the 10 pound trigger spring and 12 pound hammer spring from my Wolff kit.

rfd
12-30-2015, 11:35 AM
been thinking seriously about the no-tap weigand base for the 6" gp-100, too. then pop on a good red dot. old eyes, oh well ......

tja6435
12-30-2015, 12:25 PM
The weigand no tap base for the 6" gp100 is what I used to install a scope on my 6" Talo GP100, works great.

Jtarm
01-06-2016, 10:54 PM
drilled and tapped my 6 inch stainless for a weigand mount and installed a ultra dot red dot sight and haven't looked back, tired eyesight has plagued me lately but now it's easy to shoot and enjoy. the ultra dot exploits the accuracy of the gun. a very accurate and fun pistol to shoot that will probably outlast me.

How's the ultra dot working for you? Any idea how many rounds you've shot with it?

Mauser48
01-06-2016, 11:14 PM
Since this thread was resurrected I might as well say that the gp100 is running great! Only have about 300 rounds through it. I just bought a bianci cyclone holster for it.

dannyd
01-06-2016, 11:44 PM
AndI have four gp's love them all 3, two 4 and 6

apen
01-07-2016, 11:55 AM
I had an ultradot on my 6" and it was very accurate. I noticed I couldn't shoot it very well with iron sights. I thought my eyes were going. I put the sights back on the other day and noticed a lot of sideways movement on the rear sight when I turned the elevation screw..maybe 1/32"...A Lot. The fit in the cutout for the rear sight isn't a tight one at all. I don't know if the a Bowen will be any better or not.
At least I know why I couldn't hit anything with the factory irons.

ironhead7544
01-07-2016, 01:14 PM
6 inch is best for the range, IMHO. Plinking with a 158 gr cast at 1000 fps or so is a lot of fun.