PDA

View Full Version : Finished at last, My Classic Pro-1000

44Vaquero
03-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Finally had the time to stop by my uncles so he could turn down the .50 cal Shell holder/insert to accept the Pro-1000 carrier. I now have my Classic Pro-1000, now to clear some space on the bench for it!

seagiant
03-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Hi 44,
I'm trying to follow along here!

Does this give you a 3 stage progressive?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-19-2015, 12:02 AM

Looks like you've got something interesting starting there. Much better mechanical advantage and stronger base. Does the shell holder turn now and the die turret stay fixed? Or rather, can we get a MOOVIE when you get that rascal going?

jmort
03-19-2015, 12:20 AM
Most interesting. Waiting for more detail, unless that is in another thread I missed which you could link if possible.

44Vaquero
03-19-2015, 05:02 AM
Seagiant & Dave Yes,

it is now a 3 hole progressive the turret stays in position and the shell plate rotates automatically! Given the fact that much of Lee's equipment is modular in nature this is a very simple mod/hack! The only part that needs to fabricated is a reduced post to fit the socket under the Pro-1000 carrier. In my case I chose to use the .50 caliber shell holder Lee makes as it is designed to thread into the Ram of either the Classic Cast O-frame or the Classic Cast Turret!

Once the suitable post is modified and installed the Pro-1000 carrier bolts on top and you are in business with a Super-Duty Pro-1000 on steroids!

I should also point out that this Mod/Hack is nothing new A couple of people here have done it a few years back as I recall.

You can really see in the 3rd picture the key advantage in swapping pro-1000 components onto a Classic Cast turret

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-19-2015, 10:35 AM
You can really see in the 3rd picture the key advantage in swapping pro-1000 components onto a Classic Cast turret Yes, a much better base and linkage. Both stronger and a better design than the original. Will you be able to retain the through ram spent primer disposal?

What to me is a shame is that Lee didn't come out with that very press as a four holer. Would have been a heckuva press.

seagiant
03-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Hi,
Yes! 4 holer would be better!

A question though,can you get just the Pro 1000 parts you need from LEE or you have to strip another press???

cstrickland
03-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Finally had the time to stop by my uncles so he could turn down the .50 cal Shell holder/insert to accept the Pro-1000 carrier. I now have my Classic Pro-1000, now to clear some space on the bench for it!

ok more detail please. More pictures, movies, link to other peoples post who have done this. I tried to search and I may just be incompetent , but I could not find anything here.

44Vaquero
03-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Dave,

Yes I have retained the primer thru the ram function! That was the main reason for using the .50 cal Shell holder/insert it is drilled thru and solid (No slot for primer arms).

Seagiant,

Yes 4 would be better? There have been rumors for years that Lee has been working on a 4 Hole-Pro type unit. But like most rumors it's mostly smoke and mirrors, nobody has ever seen a prototype?
I had almost all the parts already (most acquired as spares in trades) and they can be all be ordered separately from Lee or FS and Titian.

Cstrickland, They will be hard to find! No one ever did a write up!! I have seen them in passing, in other threads and several on my FB page "Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment Group" have also completed the mod.

For moding the .50 cal insert: The insert starts out 1.125 and needs to turned down to .705 ish (I forget the exact dim. Have to grab the calipers LTR.) We opted to part the shell holder lips and face the resulting surface 1st. We then turned it down to the required dia., back to about 6/10's of an inch. Break the edges and it's done.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Okay, obviously we're going to have to have a list of parts.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-19-2015, 03:57 PM
44, in red in quote:

Yes I have retained the primer thru the ram function! That was the main reason for using the .50 cal Shell holder/insert it is drilled thru and solid (No slot for primer arms). That rocks, so you gain three of the positives of the Lee Classic Turret right off the git go.

Yes 4 would be better? There have been rumors for years that Lee has been working on a 4 Hole-Pro type unit. But like most rumors it's mostly smoke and mirrors, nobody has ever seen a prototype? I hate it the way Lee makes a few new, really progressive designs and then kinda shuts down, like there is nothing else to do. I wonder if the last left wing gun crisis caused that.

I had almost all the parts already (most acquired as spares in trades) and they can be all be ordered separately from Lee or FS and Titan. We gotta have a parts list by Lee number. This can't just be a pic or two.

They will be hard to find! No one ever did a write up!! I have seen them in passing, in other threads and several on my FB page "Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment Group" have also completed the mod. Which is exactly why you should do a write up and make a video!

For moding the .50 cal insert: The insert starts out 1.125 and needs to turned down to .705 ish (I forget the exact dim. Have to grab the calipers LTR.) So a metal lathe is needed for the most important mod. Of course, some enterprising machinist on this forum could make up a few....[smilie=1:

We opted to part the shell holder lips and face the resulting surface 1st. We then turned it down to the required dia., back to about 6/10's of an inch. Break the edges and it's done. Too easy.

How does the auto advance work? I've never had a Pro 1000, so I'm not majorly familiar with the operation. I assume it has something to do with when the ram reaches bottom.

44Vaquero
03-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Dave,
The auto-advance does work on the down stroke. The index rod is twisted and there is a nylon gear arrangement inside the shell-plate carrier that rotates the shell plate. There is a spring loaded ball that locks the plate and a back-lash adjustment screw in the base for timing.

Here is a link for everything you would ever need to know about a Pro-1000. Cowboy-T is the video guru on them! https://www.youtube.com/user/sfliberal/videos

I will whip up a parts list soon.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-19-2015, 04:41 PM
That's the ole liberal with a gun.:)

seagiant
03-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Hi 44,
Excellent job of course!

I think you should send some pics to your friends at LEE....Hint...Hint!!!

jmort
03-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Have you cranked it up? If so how does it work so far?

44Vaquero
03-19-2015, 09:41 PM
No, it has not been permanently mounted yet. I need to add/clear some space for it's permanent location. I am still tinkering with turning bump groves on the support pillar and making a curved cartridge ejector etc.

I know for a fact operation is/will be more positive and solid just like I noted when the Lee Automator was placed on a heaver O-frame.

kbstenberg
06-25-2015, 09:21 AM
So then the lower parts group is installed on the top of the 50 cal. case holder.
Does the indexing rod have to be adjusted because of going into a different press?
I think the concept is getting clearer.

44Vaquero
06-25-2015, 05:41 PM
No adjustment of the operating rod is required. The indexing rod performs its function during the downward motion of the ram and as such requires no adjust to it's length.

Carrier timing is still performed per Lee's instructions for the Pro-1000. nothing changes.

Firebricker
06-25-2015, 08:26 PM
That is a cool idea. Congratulations on a very neat modifacation. FB

rbertalotto
06-26-2015, 11:03 AM
OK...I'm totally lost here! What the heck are we doing? I have 6 Lee1000 presses that work excellent. What advantage are we discussing here? I just wish someone would make a 4 station Lee1000 .... or a conversion....

44Vaquero
06-29-2015, 11:25 PM
rbertalotto,

a couple of things are different. The leverage on the Classic Cast Turret is greater than the Pro-1000 base, The solid ram provides for clean disposal of primers. The press being heavier all the way around lends the Pro-1000 pieces a more positive feeling.

Also, it can't be denied it's a pretty cool modification!

fryboy
06-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Pretty sure geargnasher had a thread on the one he did ,(iirc geargnasher strikes again or something like that ,if I was on the home Puter I'd try to find it, and yeah I too like it !!

44Vaquero
06-30-2015, 12:06 AM
You are correct! Gear did do it years (2012) back, that was the 1st time I had seen it done. Hence my title finished at last! LOL

HeadLead
07-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Any chance of duplicating the .50 component for sale to others who do not have access to machines?

I have lots of the other components available a d would love to use this type of set up.

44Vaquero
07-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Headlead, mine was turned down by my uncle for me. There are several members here who could turn the .50 cal insert for you. It is heat treated so it helps if you torch it 1st to weaken it.

HeadLead
07-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Ok. Thanks 44.

timotab
01-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Were you ever able to complete the conversion? Does the 3-hole top plate bolt to the standard posts for the classic turret? I was looking into doing this exact modification but was going to use the automator as the source for the pro-1000 top end parts.

44Vaquero
01-16-2016, 05:11 AM
Timotab, The parts are modular and directly bolt onto the Classic Cast base. 3 things about using the Automator kit as a parts source for this project:

1. It will be slightly more expensive to go this route (the required parts are less than $30.00 from Lee).

2. The Automator is slightly shorter than the original Pro-1000 so you loose about a 1/2 inch?

3. The Automator is a cool piece of kit on it's own and can be set up and used on another press

Keep in mind you still need to have the shell holder or 50 cal shell holder turned down too!

Mine has been up and running for some time now and also now includes a home built electric case feeder!!!

You can see both the Automator and the Classic Cast Pro-1000 in this picture!

petroid
01-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Tagged! this is awesome!

timotab
01-16-2016, 11:02 AM
44Vaquero,

Well done! That's good new about the parts bolting on and being a little less than the automator. I still might get an automator and mount it to my classic cast but since I don't have a Pro-1000 it would cost almost as much as buying a whole press kit.

One question, on the post closest to the front of the press it looks like you have the bracket and spring for the Z-bar. Were you able to mount that on the original support post from the classic turret or did you have to order that post, bracket and spring from Lee?

44Vaquero
01-16-2016, 02:38 PM
timotab,

The front right post support is assembled from parts ordered from Lee. I also opted to cut my own shaker grooves into the right rear post for the primer shaker rather than order one. YMMV

If you are not planning on using a case feeder then the above parts are not required.

timotab
01-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Here's a link to a fella that used the Automator http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php?32443-Modifying-the-Lee-Classic-Turret-press-with-a-Lee-Automator

Here is geargnasher's version back in 2012 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158721-Geargnasher-Strikes-Again!

44Vaquero
01-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Timotab,

Did you happen to notice the post date of the guy that used the Automator and the .50 cal shell holder? 1/13/2016!! I wonder where he got the idea? Here or my FB page?

timotab
01-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Yeah, you were obviously the inspiration for the 50BMG Shell holder and most likely the Automator as well. An interesting mash-up of your ideas.

TuxAir
01-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Timotab,

Did you happen to notice the post date of the guy that used the Automator and the .50 cal shell holder? 1/13/2016!! I wonder where he got the idea? Here or my FB page?
Ha! This is funny! Great minds think alike. :D My hat is off to you!

Truth be told, no I didn't. I saw a Facebook post about the Automator being on clearance. I don't know if it was your FB page though. I did find your CB post (and gear gnasher's) later on though, the morning after I finished turning the shellholder down at work. It is the logical choice. How I came up with it was back when I contacted Lee about 50 BMG options using equipment I had. I was told the classic turret and the classic cast used the same ram and that the 50 BMG shell holder would fit the LCT ram, but 50 BMG could not be loaded on the turret press.
She's up and running 100 % and I am now trying to come up with an elegant solution for dropping the completed rounds in a bin. (Which is how I found these recent thread updates ;-)) With the LCT base, everything sits much lower. For now I have a little corral on the bench top to contain them. The press is mounted to a board that fits my Lee quick change press adapter which I'd like to keep using. So jacking the press up a tad is where I'm headed. A curved chute adapter I made from fiberglass to eject them forward just didn't work reliably.

44Vaquero
01-26-2016, 04:49 PM
TuxAir,

Happy to see you have come to the inventive side of Lee products! Gear's inspiration started quite a few Classic Cast Pro-1000's. You are correct the .50 call insert just makes sense, a much better solution than turning down the smaller shell holder.

I am one of the Admins on the Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment FB group. That's how the Automator was pretty much sold out after sitting on Lee's shelves for 25+ years! Yet, another select group of Lee users, it has been confirmed that Lee has sold them out.

Yes, collection of produced rounds is a issue on the conversion. Having been spending time working on my DCCF MKII (Dirt Cheap Case Feeder MK II) project I have not really devoted much time to solving it. Instead settling for chopping an ARKO bin as a temporary fix. I am looking forward to seeing some creative solutions from others?

Note: The bolt is also in the way!

TuxAir
01-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks! And I am pretty sure I know who you are now on the FB group :) IIRC, it was a simple post about the Automator being on clearance for $40.00 that prompted me to order it. I think I was the first or second one to post I had ordered the kit. Even helped out a fella that wanted to do the conversion with his regular deluxe press. Hence my pictorial on the Bersachat site.

Reloading, like Aviation, is a small world. I've been modifying Lee products to better suit my needs for a long time. Most being ergonomical. Economy of movement = higher throughput. My LCT runs about as fast as my Pro 1000 with homemade reverse indexing, case kicker, press risers, bin holders etc. Perhaps not all original ideas as I stand on the shoulders of a few giants, but definitely all my own work. Having access to specialized equipment and tooling due to the nature of my job helps out a lot :D

TuxAir
01-26-2016, 05:39 PM

Note: The bolt is also in the way!
Here's an Idea that may help you with your current bin and the bolt that is in the way. Install a 1/4-20 T-nut in the bottom of the bench and flip the bolt around so the head is on top of the base. Perhaps a countersunk or panhead one to lower the profile even more.

44Vaquero
01-26-2016, 06:22 PM
TuxAir,

The the pan head bolt might be a good place to start! Using it as an anchor point for deflector into an an unmodified bin?

The reverse index rod was actually another win for the FB page! So many people were asking about it or how to make one that In-Line Fabrication started making the kits! Tools do make the difference that's why I am making the case plates for the case feeder available for sale. Many people can assemble the case feeder but might not have the tools to make the feeder plates?

I still have a mill and hobby lathe on my wish list!

It's been great fun being part of 2 very influential reloading sites both here and on FB.

TuxAir
01-26-2016, 06:51 PM
TuxAir,

The the pan head bolt might be a good place to start! Using it as an anchor point for deflector into an an unmodified bin?That's my thought. :D

The reverse index rod was actually another win for the FB page! So many people were asking about it or how to make one that In-Line Fabrication started making the kits! Yep! I remember that! I sent Dan the measurements and process I used and implored him to make the kickers and the rods for the community. He did one better (Normal for Dan) with coming out with a mounting plate, bins, chute etc. as a kit. I may or may not have one of Dan's kits ;-)

Tools do make the difference that's why I am making the case plates for the case feeder available for sale. Many people can assemble the case feeder but might not have the tools to make the feeder plates?

I still have a mill and hobby lathe on my wish list!

It's been great fun being part of 2 very influential reloading sites both here and on FB.I'd love to see your plans for making this. I've tried to find them after seeing your pictures and updates. I made additional shell plates for my ummmm... Aw hell... Dillon out of 1/4" hard board using nothing more pencil and simple shop tools. They held up quite nicely.

44Vaquero
01-27-2016, 03:35 AM
TuxAir,

If you go to the Lee Reloading FB page and under "Photo's" Tab select "Albums" you will find a file titled Dec 12, 2015 that is the pictorial instruction guide for the DCCF MKII.

Under the files tab you can also find a parts list titled DCCF MKII.

TuxAir
01-27-2016, 04:15 AM
Thanks 44Vaquero.

flashhole
01-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Hurry up and get it mounted so you can do an action video. Looks fantastic so far. Thanks for sharing.

timotab
01-30-2016, 08:41 PM
Okay, I purchased everything to complete this modification. Currently I am waiting until I can anneal the 50 BMG shell holder and have it turned down to finish.

I noticed that the 50 shell holder is considerably shorter that the stock ram insert and it got me to thinking. What will stop the travel of the ram on the down stroke? Normally the sleeve that the handle is attached to hits the linkage and stops the ram but wouldn't the shell plate carrier make contact with the base of the press first now? It might not be an issue, the only thing I think could happen is the shell plate carrier would be pushed off the ram if you really got carried away.

TuxAir
01-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Hurry up and get it mounted so you can do an action video. Looks fantastic so far. Thanks for sharing.

I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel. Priorities you know. [emoji12] at least she's all put together. Only needs the dies adjusted. Seems to operate just fine.

TuxAir
01-30-2016, 09:10 PM
Okay, I purchased everything to complete this modification. Currently I am waiting until I can anneal the 50 BMG shell holder and have it turned down to finish.

I noticed that the 50 shell holder is considerably shorter that the stock ram insert and it got me to thinking. What will stop the travel of the ram on the down stroke? Normally the sleeve that the handle is attached to hits the linkage and stops the ram but wouldn't the shell plate carrier make contact with the base of the press first now? It might not be an issue, the only thing I think could happen is the shell plate carrier would be pushed off the ram if you really got carried away.

I didn't notice anything abnormal. I seem to remember it hitting stops on the linkage. I'll take note to look at it when I get a chance and post a reply either way.

44Vaquero
01-31-2016, 12:11 AM
Timotab,

You worry to much! The carrier stops the rams travel at the bottom of the stroke and the ram has very little leverage in this position.

Additionally the shell plate carriers priming pin contacts the base plate 1st to work the priming system.

timotab
01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
44Vaquero,

Thanks! I do worry too much.....keeps me out of trouble sometimes :-)

r1kk1
02-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Vaquero you've outdid yourself!

take care

r1kk1