PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Ranch Dog, your .44 boolit at 50 yd's.

44man
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I shot your boolit with my SBH at 50 yd's. I went down to shoot some more of them with different lubes today. I had two high shots I can't figure and they were the first shot with Carnauba Red with 22 gr's of 296 and also the first one with Felix and 23.5 gr's. They were both in the same place so I am inclined to think it was the sandbag.
22 gr's seems to be good.
I started low left and shot clockwise to the center last. Low right and center was with 23.5 gr's. Not as good.
I got an honest inch with Felix. C.R and B/A/C came in the same and almost as good.
I put the can up at 100 yd's on my rail. I held at the top for the first shot and nothing happened. I had the impression from the dirt behind that I hit right. I aimed left, nothing, then farther left with still nothing. I then held center and it flew way up in the air. That is the bottom tear, just missed my rail. When I picked the can up, the first shot was centered but the can never moved so I thought I missed. I stood it up and shot it twice more by aiming just above center. Both good hits.
Your boolit does just fine in the revolver.

DaveD
03-07-2008, 02:40 PM
44 Man,

Which RD Boolit were you shooting and what did you size it to? I have a SBHH 44 I want to use them in as well.

Thanks!

44man
03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
It is the 265 gr that actually comes out at 270 gr's. I sized to .431 with C.R. because it is in my lube-sizer but went to .432 with the softer lube. I put it in the grooves by hand and ran them through a Lee sizer that I lapped out. Both work the same.
.430 to .432 will work.
It is a good boolit. I never tried LLA because I don't like it.
This boolit kept hitting the same place on the targets when I changed lube until I increased the charge, those went higher.
My home made boolit hits left with C.R. and center with Felix. Each boolit has it's own mind I guess.
You can't go wrong with RD boolits or Lar's lube.

idahoron
03-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Lar's lube rocks in my Muzzleloaders. Ron

DaveD
03-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Guys,

Is this the Lar's Lube you are referring to?
http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

Hope so, I just ordered some. Butttt, I ordered the CR 2700. Hope I did alright.

Ranch Dog
03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
44Man, glad that bullet is working out in the pistole'. The "can" reminds me of my early shooting with this bullet and my 444P. I found a bowling pin and set it out at 100-yards. I shot three times with the TLC432-265-RF and it didn't move. I shot it once with the Hornady 265-grain FP and it fell over. I walked out and looked at it and the three TLCs had passed through the pin and kept on going. This was with an alloy of 1:1 linotype:wheelweights that where water quenched.

44man
03-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Dave, ALL of Glenn's lubes are good. Don't worry. Some need warmed a little, that's all.
RD, I NEVER had a can stay in place when hit before with a big revolver. It happened with a rifle a lot and 7mm single shot pistols.
I have done a lot of walking to set cans up again because that big hunk of lead has always knocked them down.