PDA

View Full Version : Boyds' Gunstocks: Not worth it

Remiel
03-18-2015, 04:15 PM
If this is in the wrong place pls move it. this was for my M91 Project Boris mentioned in multiple threads here pics may follow....

So after a month of excuses no call backs or Emails, I finally get my stock from Boyds' Gunstocks, and low an behold the stock doesn't fit. Now I understand some work would need to be done but this is just ridiculous. the hole for the recoil lug is drilled off center the rear mag screw hole is crooked and there is a chunk of wood missing from in between the mag and the trigger guard. So I call them(5 times to get an answer) and got told that I can return it and get a replacement.... in 15 bis days(yeah another month) so i said the hell with it, I am just going to take it to a smith and have it re-drilled and put action pillars in, nothing I can do with the missing chunk unfortunately. So if you are looking for a new stock avoid Boyds' Gunstocks (https://www.facebook.com/BoydsGunstocks), the quality sucks, the service is poor and you will spend a month waiting on junk,

ipijohn
03-18-2015, 06:25 PM
If this is in the wrong place pls move it. this was for my M91 Project Boris mentioned in multiple threads here pics may follow....

So after a month of excuses no call backs or Emails, I finally get my stock from Boyds' Gunstocks, and low an behold the stock doesn't fit. Now I understand some work would need to be done but this is just ridiculous. the hole for the recoil lug is drilled off center the rear mag screw hole is crooked and there is a chunk of wood missing from in between the mag and the trigger guard. So I call them(5 times to get an answer) and got told that I can return it and get a replacement.... in 15 bis days(yeah another month) so i said the hell with it, I am just going to take it to a smith and have it re-drilled and put action pillars in, nothing I can do with the missing chunk unfortunately. So if you are looking for a new stock avoid Boyds' Gunstocks (https://www.facebook.com/BoydsGunstocks), the quality sucks, the service is poor and you will spend a month waiting on junk,

You must have gotten a lemon, I have 10+ of their stocks and have never had a problem with any of them. And NO, I am in no way affilated with them.

waksupi
03-18-2015, 06:30 PM
I think you just got a lemon, too. I've seen too many guys get good ones to think this was a common occurrence.

leebuilder
03-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Plus 1 ipijohn, never had a problem with them to date.
Little bit of hiccups in fitting but that was my fault.

seaboltm
03-18-2015, 06:42 PM
I have not had that experience with Boyds. BUT, I have mailed off some rather expensive blanks to professional stock turners and mistakes were made. It happens. I had one walnut blank that was totally destroyed by the stock turner. Its rare, but it happens. If the problem is not severe and if this is not a high end looker, you don't have any problems that glass bedding won't fix.

Ed Barrett
03-18-2015, 06:43 PM
I've bought 3 stocks for 3 different types of rifles and had no problems with Boyds.

nagantguy
03-18-2015, 06:51 PM
That is a shame you got lousy service and a junk stock. I have always been pleased with wood from them. You are probably sick of hearing about how good they are, but in all the times I've dealt with them....you know. They were great. I would like to take a moment however to give you warning, nagant projects tend to go like this, now you are taking a stock you paid good money for to a smith to have them for a price work their magic on it so it fits your Boris and pillar being to.$$$$ I am not making fun nor mocking you, no sir I am totally unsolicited trying to save you grief, money and mayhapes even your marriage. I've been down this road many times(as a matter of fact I'll be posting after pics of the most beat up, ugly rough fit chicom 53 I rehabbed at great cost and stress as soon as I'm done warning you). I've ended up with some nice shooting good looking mosins as you will to I'm sure for about three and a half times in treasure and tears and grief as I could have bought a new or very sweet used hunting or target rifle for. Just saying. And if you need to talk yell or cry at any stage of this project pm me sir or if you are in the area we meet every third Wednesday in the basement of the american legion hall post 141 and none of us thought we needed help until we started the group.

Remiel
03-18-2015, 08:39 PM
What gets me is i went to the because of the reviews here and from a couple of local folks, but i noticed when i went over there face book that I was not the only case and it has gone back a couple months, the lack of professionalism is what burned me the most, When i called today one of the sales reps stated that this was a common issue as of late and that the production team had been on a vodka bender, not once but multiple times on 2 calls, I do hope they get it together cause even though i will have to re-drill it(using action pillars) its still a nice looking stock

Remiel
03-18-2015, 08:46 PM
That is a shame you got lousy service and a junk stock. I have always been pleased with wood from them. You are probably sick of hearing about how good they are, but in all the times I've dealt with them....you know. They were great. I would like to take a moment however to give you warning, nagant projects tend to go like this, now you are taking a stock you paid good money for to a smith to have them for a price work their magic on it so it fits your Boris and pillar being to.$$$$ I am not making fun nor mocking you, no sir I am totally unsolicited trying to save you grief, money and mayhapes even your marriage. I've been down this road many times(as a matter of fact I'll be posting after pics of the most beat up, ugly rough fit chicom 53 I rehabbed at great cost and stress as soon as I'm done warning you). I've ended up with some nice shooting good looking mosins as you will to I'm sure for about three and a half times in treasure and tears and grief as I could have bought a new or very sweet used hunting or target rifle for. Just saying. And if you need to talk yell or cry at any stage of this project pm me sir or if you are in the area we meet every third Wednesday in the basement of the american legion hall post 141 and none of us thought we needed help until we started the group.

As far as Smith expense that's not a problem, i have gotten him 3 .270 Mauser barrels and an enfield bolt as of late, called him and he was surprised too, said he has had many of their items and enjoyed them, but he told me to come down and used his drill press and jig to fix it and he will help me glass bed it and fix the lug recess, damn thing sits so high in the stock you can see the interrupter thru the side between the action and stock,

Remiel
03-18-2015, 08:52 PM
134388134391134392 pics are not the best but here is some of the issues you can see the tang sits high, the whole action does, if i tighten it down it angles the barrel way up, i cant get a clean pic(damn phone) of how far off the screw hole for the recoil lug is

freebullet
03-18-2015, 09:17 PM
If you buy a stock that requires fitting, then make it fit.

Want a ready made drop in stock.....buy one.

For the price they are tough to beat imo.

nagantguy
03-18-2015, 09:38 PM
134388134391134392 pics are not the best but here is some of the issues you can see the tang sits high, the whole action does, if i tighten it down it angles the barrel way up, i cant get a clean pic(damn phone) of how far off the screw hole for the recoil lug is

I do know how you are feeling and you have a right to feel it! Reminds me.of.my Christmas debacle with palmetto state; 13 calls no one ever answers, order took weeks to.get to me, three of the items were gifts when it did arrive it wasn't complete, the gift items were not there! The thing for me wasn't the right thing, long and short, $250 dollar order not counting shipping took about 6 weeks to get all of it right and no one ever answered the phone!

Remiel
03-18-2015, 09:39 PM
If you buy a stock that requires fitting, then make it fit.

Want a ready made drop in stock.....buy one.

For the price they are tough to beat imo.

fitting is one thing removing a 1/4 in of materiel so the action fits is vastly different, i knew i would have to do some sanding and smoothing but now i need a drill press a jig and some flat based wood drill bits to finish where they left off, that doesn't make their price worth it, I also would have sent it back but no communication for a month when i first ordered, the obvious rush job on it and then the 15 bis days to exchange it, as they say time is $$ and after this they most likely wont get any more of either from me.

Remiel
03-18-2015, 09:42 PM
I do know how you are feeling and you have a right to feel it! Reminds me.of.my Christmas debacle with palmetto state; 13 calls no one ever answers, order took weeks to.get to me, three of the items were gifts when it did arrive it wasn't complete, the gift items were not there! The thing for me wasn't the right thing, long and short, $250 dollar order not counting shipping took about 6 weeks to get all of it right and no one ever answered the phone!

I remember hearing that, i was going to order parts for the wife's AR, ended up using brownells and classic firearms cause of that issue

Multigunner
03-19-2015, 01:28 AM
Boyds should have mailed a replacement stock immediately at their own expense, not waiting for you to send in the junk stock, and thrown in a coupon for a sizeable percentage off your next purchase.
When a TV I bought along with extended warranty clapped out thats what the retailer did for me, I suspect that TV cost more than this stock.
When i asked about sending in the TV they said to just scrap it.
If something can't be repaired economically theres no sense in sending it back, they couldn't make any use of that messed up stock any more than the retailer could make use of the messed up TV.

A local retailer with a sporting goods section had a problem with every handgun and rifle sent them by their wholesaler having some defect or other. The wholesaler had found the management was hesitant to complain so they palmed off any blems and culls onto them. I convinced the guy who ran the sporting goods section to find a new source.

If they can get away with something once they will do it again, thats human nature.
A class act accepts responsibility for the quality of their products, even when it costs them money in the short run.

JeffHolt
03-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Sorry your first experience with Boyd's didn't turn out well for you. Usually because of slight variances in the Mosin actions, a little tweaking can be necessary. Sounds like they maybe they sent a stock for another type of action possibly?

There's always Richards Micro out in California, but you will wait a couple of months and definitely have to sand , fit and finish the stock. My high end Mosin build, "Romanov's Legacy" was well over 2 bills and about 12 hrs of elbow grease.

Edster
03-19-2015, 07:39 AM
I have several of Boyds stocks and the quality is fine. What is horrible is their customer service. I have an issue with a stock that was purchased. The barrel channel was suppose to be for a .920 bull barrel. The stock they sent was for a .920 tapered barrel. I have tried to reach their customer service on more than numerous occasions. I have left voice mails, and sent emails since before the start of the year. I have yet to receive a single acknowledgment from them. Sorry but that is not the way to treat customers!!!

Cmm_3940
03-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Maybe this can be of some help?

http://atg.sd.gov/Consumers/HandlingComplaints/ConsumerComplaintForm.aspx

dg31872
03-19-2015, 08:56 AM
I have never bought from Boyds but have a Savage 325 that I have been thinking about re-stocking and have been watching Boyds web site since last fall. I noticed that the web site made a radical change at the first of the year.
I wonder if they had a change in management?

Hardcast416taylor
03-19-2015, 09:14 AM
I bought a Boyd`s Plains rifle stock for my Mosin .416 Russian Express project. The only work I needed to do is open the barrel channel, a piece of copper pipe and a 3/4" wood dowel 16" long with sandpaper glued to them for opening the wood channel did that work. The other work was for fitting a Timney trigger with side safety and glass bedding key points for the .416 recoil. The drop in fit of the stock before I did the mods was excellent.Robert

Remiel
03-19-2015, 02:03 PM
I had expected to do the finish work and bedding, but between the action screw holes being off center and/or crooked the recoil lug well to shallow and the lousy customer service I'm not impressed, maybe they will get their stuff together, maybe not, until the do I wont be buying their product,

bstone5
03-19-2015, 02:08 PM
I have used dozens of Boyd's stocks on Remington, Mauser and Winchester rifles.

They always have fit if I ordered the right stock, I glass bed and make to fit perfectly. Their laminated stocks are very well made and hold up very well.

GabbyM
03-19-2015, 07:39 PM
The one I bough last year for my Weatherby Vanguard fit and looks very nice. Rifle projects sometimes take a very long time.
Sorry to hear of your poor luck. But I'd buy another stock from them.

Tackleberry41
03-19-2015, 09:31 PM
I have been looking at a boyds recently for a mosin, the ATI that came with it is not much use. I do have the kind of luck that if theres a bad anything in the pile Im usually the one it gets sent to. I always wondered if Wendys restaurants saved the green tomatos for me.

I am seeing plenty that say they sell a decent stock, others saying most of the time?

Remiel
03-20-2015, 07:41 AM
I have been looking at a boyds recently for a mosin, the ATI that came with it is not much use. I do have the kind of luck that if theres a bad anything in the pile Im usually the one it gets sent to. I always wondered if Wendys restaurants saved the green tomatos for me.

I am seeing plenty that say they sell a decent stock, others saying most of the time?

They used to, that's why i bought mine, but ended up waiting a month w/o any communication then got the stock and when called about the issues it was going to be another month (if lucky) to get a replacement

Tackleberry41
03-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Well if theres going to be a screw up it will be my order, I wonder if companies have some sort of list, 'ooooh tackleberry placed an order go find one of the screwed up ones to send' just like swore Wendys saved the green tomatos for my sandwich.

JeffHolt
03-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Green tomatoes is indeed an outrage. I'd call Consumer Reports or my Congress critter...lol!

Remiel, I don't blame you a bit for feeling how you do. I would also.

Adam Helmer
03-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Remiel,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with Boyds Stocks. I have several on my military surplus arms and all were as advertised. I think it would have been fairer for you to return the stock you received and IF the replacement was unsatisfactory, then a post here would have been warranted. Boyds may have problems in-house that your returned stock would have addressed.

Adam

W.R.Buchanan
03-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Remiel: I would think that after reading all the positive responses on this thread that you would resign yourself to sending the stock back and insisting on them replacing it. aS far as your lost time unfortunately that is just part of the game. Nothing really moves that fast in the gun industry. Your Smith probably has a substantial back log if he is any good and is going to charge you for the work.

All you will lose by sending it back to Boyd's is the time.

I just bet the second one would work better as they sell a lot of stocks for Mosin Nagants.

Randy

Remiel
03-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Remiel: I would think that after reading all the positive responses on this thread that you would resign yourself to sending the stock back and insisting on them replacing it. aS far as your lost time unfortunately that is just part of the game. Nothing really moves that fast in the gun industry. Your Smith probably has a substantial back log if he is any good and is going to charge you for the work.

All you will lose by sending it back to Boyd's is the time.

I just bet the second one would work better as they sell a lot of stocks for Mosin Nagants.

Randy

i may just do that and finish the mauser project first

leebuilder
03-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Plus one with Randy. Hate to see peaple get burnt, i am sure you will get what you expect.
some projects go quick and great, many go slow and finish up excellently. One build was on and off for years, now i got it done i must wait till the snow melts to break in the barrel.

Remiel
03-20-2015, 10:03 PM
what I will do is take it to my smith if all i need to do is drill it for the action pillars to fix the offset hole then thats fine if i have to hog out the recoil lug recess i will get the RMA# and make them fix it, or just get my money back and get a ATI stock or somthing

Multigunner
03-21-2015, 12:40 AM
Well if theres going to be a screw up it will be my order, I wonder if companies have some sort of list, 'ooooh tackleberry placed an order go find one of the screwed up ones to send' just like swore Wendys saved the green tomatos for my sandwich.
A few years back a local Burger king posted a sign stating that their supplier had delivered a bunch of tomatos that just weren't up to their standards and that they would not be putting tomatos on their burgers till they got the situation straightened out.
I guess they prefered to sell fewer whoppers for a few days than have a customer lose their confidence in their product.

LAGS
03-21-2015, 12:56 AM
I have installed about two dozen Boyd's stocks on rifles, either stocks that I ordered , or ones ordered by someone else.
I have not had any of the issues that you described in either their Pre Finished or Semi Inletted stocks.
BUT.
I do all the final fitting , Glass Bedding or installing pillars, or even Reshaping them to fit the shooter better, depending on the type of action, the caliber or what the rifle will be used for.
I find it faster and actually cheaper then me shaping and inletting a stock from a wood blank.
Oh, the ATI stocks.
The same level of fitting is required to get them to fit and shoot right, and you end up with a Plastic stock.
I prefer wood or laminate.
In fact, I have two ATI Mosin stocks that people brought me to fit their rifles, and traded them for part of the cost to fit a Boyd's stock or make them a Custom stock from a blank.
I wish Boyd's sold their Factory Seconds.
I would snach them up in a heartbeat because I have the skills to correct errors or make them into Customs.

wallenba
03-21-2015, 01:01 AM
Sorry you are having problems. I have 3 of them, real beauties. Getting ready to order another.

Motor
03-21-2015, 02:54 AM
Yeah we have 3 or 4 Boyds stocks and all are great. I was lucky and found a laminated thumb hole for my varmint barreld Rem. 788. Yes I had to make room for the heavy barrel but overall no complaints and I only paid like $105 for it.

Motor

nekshot
03-21-2015, 08:28 AM
I bought a "second" from Boyd that was advertised as a "second" and it sounds like yours. I was able to make it fit and no one is any the wiser. I was happy with Boyds and will continue to use them if needed. I understand your feelings but we do live in a non-perfect world!

Tackleberry41
03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Was a time I hit the Wendys drive thru alot, the spicy chicken sandwich. And invariably I would look a mostly green tomato. A friend would go, nope he got the nice red one. I was tempted to go in and ask if they saved the green ones for me. Just as if I wonder if wal mart keeps track of what I buy so they can stop selling it.

Bought a lone wolf conversion barrel not long ago, they seem to be hit or miss, will I got the miss of course. Did nothing but jam, gave me a run around for a while, maybe its your mags, no I tried both 40 and 357 sig mags, your ammo, nope factory or reloads jam, your holding it wrong, maybe the sun wasnt out. Ok fine send it back we will 'look at it' 4-6 weeks. Whatever just do it myself. Next time Ill shell out the extra cash for a storm lake. Tho they might be holding the rejects in case I call.

leebuilder
03-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Was a time I hit the Wendys drive thru alot, the spicy chicken sandwich. And invariably I would look a mostly green tomato. A friend would go, nope he got the nice red one. I was tempted to go in and ask if they saved the green ones for me. Just as if I wonder if wal mart keeps track of what I buy so they can stop selling it.

Bought a lone wolf conversion barrel not long ago, they seem to be hit or miss, will I got the miss of course. Did nothing but jam, gave me a run around for a while, maybe its your mags, no I tried both 40 and 357 sig mags, your ammo, nope factory or reloads jam, your holding it wrong, maybe the sun wasnt out. Ok fine send it back we will 'look at it' 4-6 weeks. Whatever just do it myself. Next time Ill shell out the extra cash for a storm lake. Tho they might be holding the rejects in case I call.

We must be related. I am the guy that always gets behind the person that breaks the cash
register. In the Navy my watches would experence the worst of the worst weather and failures. I look up to the heavens and dont ususally see a black cloud. Arg. Sigh.

Tackleberry41
03-23-2015, 08:05 AM
I asked a friend yesterday who works in a gunshop, does alot of custom stuff. Asked about boyds stocks, he said never had an issue, but aid that was their older stocks, I keep hearing the same thing, older stocks no issues, newer stuff, issues.

texaswoodworker
03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
just like swore Wendys saved the green tomatos for my sandwich.

You should have told them to fry them while they were at it. Fried green tomatoes are GOOD. :D

Tackleberry41
03-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Fried they are good, but suck on a sandwich. It really did seem like they saved them for me, unless they just bought the worst tomatoes and all were green in the middle. I got a chicken sandwich it had a green tomato on it. Just dont give me one then vs me tossing it out the window.

Cmm_3940
03-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Funfact: all fast food tomatoes are 'green' regardless of color. They are packed and shipped unripened to prevent damage. The red color is from being artificially ripened with ethylene gas during shipping. This is why most hothouse tomatoes have no flavor.

http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourmet/ethylenegas.shtml#.VRHXqya9KK0

texaswoodworker
03-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Funfact: all fast food tomatoes are 'green' regardless of color. They are packed and shipped unripened to prevent damage. The red color is from being artificially ripened with ethylene gas during shipping. This is why most hothouse tomatoes have no flavor.

http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourmet/ethylenegas.shtml#.VRHXqya9KK0

How about the kind from the store? Those have no flavor.

Note to those who have never tried a home grown tomatoes: Try them once and you'll never want that store bought crud again.

Remiel
03-24-2015, 07:54 PM
I cant eat raw tomato's anyway(I get very sick), got the stock hogged out but still need to re-drill the bolt holes, got some action pillars and will take it to my smith to have him finish it then finish the mauser, then per the Wife and Dad, time to finish the car/truck projects

LAGS
03-25-2015, 11:43 PM
@ Remiel.
Have you thought about installing the Pillars yourself.
There is tons of information out there on how to do it.
Now, are you talking about Pillars on the mauser stock ?
Personally, I see no need to install Pillars on a Mauser, or on a Mosin Nagant either.
Epoxy Point bedding at the Tang and at the recoil lug is all you need to do.
The Mauser does have a Rear Spacer that can be epoxied in place, that acts like a pillar.
But the front of the magazine box already has your pillar built right in.
I glass bed the front and rear tangs on the magazine box, then glass bed the recoul lug

Remiel
03-26-2015, 03:17 PM
@ Remiel.
Have you thought about installing the Pillars yourself.
There is tons of information out there on how to do it.
Now, are you talking about Pillars on the mauser stock ?
Personally, I see no need to install Pillars on a Mauser, or on a Mosin Nagant either.
Epoxy Point bedding at the Tang and at the recoil lug is all you need to do.
The Mauser does have a Rear Spacer that can be epoxied in place, that acts like a pillar.
But the front of the magazine box already has your pillar built right in.
I glass bed the front and rear tangs on the magazine box, then glass bed the recoul lug

Pillars for the boyds and the Mosin, I do not have a drill press, the front hole on the stock for the recoil lug is offset and too far back the rear hole is drilled at an angle, Mostly I am going to the smith to use his press and jig while he does the machine work on my mauser barrel