PDA

View Full Version : Who knows H&R top break revolvers?

Wayne Smith
03-18-2015, 01:59 PM
I have several in 32 S&W, and one is unusual. It does not eject when you open the action but has a rod extending through the frame that is connected to the ejection star. On this one the star has two rods hanging down that orient it.

What model do I have for looking for parts?

KCSO
03-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Hold it up to the screen and I.ll take a look. This one needs a viewing as there were dozens of various models and parts changes. It soulds to me like the actuating spring is *****, rusted to pieces or collapsed. I usually just make one from spring stock.

scaevola
03-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Didn't take long to find these:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/Hand-Guns/Hand-Guns/I-have-a-HR-top-break-38-with-hammer-that-has-manual-ejection-186338.htm (http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/Hand-Guns/Hand-Guns/I-have-a-HR-top-break-38-with-hammer-that-has-manual-ejection-186338.htm)

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/h-r-model-925.98286/

Wayne Smith
03-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Wow, you are really better at the googlefu than I could dream of becoming! Thanks.

LAGS
03-23-2015, 01:20 AM
I have a collection , or better said a bunch of old Top Break revolvers or as I call them " Suicide Specials "
Generally I have to make all the parts that I need like Hands, pins and springs.
You can somtimes find the parts, but when you get the right part, you will find that the part that it engages to is worn too.
You can dump a whole lot of time and money into repairing them.
Heck, I have even had to make Hammers and triggers for some of them.
They almost all are shootable, but still not too reliable.
My friends are ammazed at the before and after look of the guns.
I got some of them that were actually Rusted or Welded Shut to disable them or missing parts so someone could mount them for a wall display in a Bar, and no one could take them off the wall and shoot someone.

Geezer in NH
03-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Yep, but it was fun and satisfying wasn't it. I love the old 22 rim fires myself and have fixed many to fire them a few times with CB caps.

Wayne Smith
04-01-2015, 08:58 AM
I have a collection , or better said a bunch of old Top Break revolvers or as I call them " Suicide Specials "
Generally I have to make all the parts that I need like Hands, pins and springs.
You can somtimes find the parts, but when you get the right part, you will find that the part that it engages to is worn too.
You can dump a whole lot of time and money into repairing them.
Heck, I have even had to make Hammers and triggers for some of them.
They almost all are shootable, but still not too reliable.
My friends are ammazed at the before and after look of the guns.
I got some of them that were actually Rusted or Welded Shut to disable them or missing parts so someone could mount them for a wall display in a Bar, and no one could take them off the wall and shoot someone.

To make the parts, what steel do you use? The stuff I can get at my local hardware store or more specialty stuff? I will need to make a hand for one of mine, otherwise in good shape. If I use soft steel I know I will need to case harden.

Blanket
04-02-2015, 09:42 PM
my first trap line gun was an H&R nickel plated 22 that my Dad altered to give to me. He made a rod that he stuck thru the cylinder and brazed the cyl in place, ground off the hand and bolt. The thing shot better than it should have and it was with me through most of my teens. Got lost somehow and wish I had it back now. That was about getting close to 50 years ago

LAGS
04-03-2015, 12:14 AM
I just use what ever steel I have at the time and then case harden it.
Like for hands, I use flat spring steel I got from Brownells.
The Hammer was made out of a 1/2" peice of steel I cut off a steel column base plate that we demoed on a job.
The Flat Mainsprings were often made out of Spring steel Tynes off a leaf rake.
I aint jiving you.
I use Kasinet from Brownell's again to harden soft metals, or just Oil Quench them.
BTW.
The ejector return springs, I used a similar size spring out of a Ball point Pen.

Wayne Smith
04-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Got it apart. It's not the hand I need, it is the bolt. Unfortunately, this is a lug on the trigger, not a separate part. I need someone who welds tiny stuff to add maybe a 1/6" of metal to it. Ought to be able to find one around here.

LAGS
04-07-2015, 11:59 PM
What year and model is your H&R ?
I was actually working on one of mine tonight.
It is the 5 shot automatic ejector in 38 S&W made in 1907.
I know that because that is the year they made a model change.
My parts are all the same serial number, but half the parts are the Old Style, and Half are the New Style.
So it is probably a last of the parts left over in 1907 when they started making the full on New model.
It still shoots, but is far from perfect.
I too had to weld up the Hump on the trigger that is the cylinder stop bolt, make a new firing pin, make a Hand , and shim out the endshake in the cylinder and make all new springs.