PDA

View Full Version : getting my feet on the ground finally

frkelly74
03-18-2015, 10:40 AM
I am getting settled into the land scape here in sunny Florida finally and yesterday ran across a gentleman who works in a scrap yard near by who can get me some lead. We had the windows replaced in the house here and I commandeered all the aluminum frames that were taken out with the intention of selling them as scrap. So I ended up advertising the extrusions on Craigs List and asked for a trade in lead scrap and it worked. I traded about a hundred lbs plus an AC condenser unit with an aluminum coil in it for 100 lbs of lead, most of which is roof boots with very little tar on them, plus he picked up the aluminum and delivered the lead. And I got his phone number for future dealings. He was fascinated when I showed him my pile of 225415 boolits that I had cast the day before. Contact!!

RogerDat
03-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Congratulations on a nice score.
I think it is the networking and personal connections that really pay off over time. You hook him up with some scrap a neighbor is getting rid of he hooks you up with..... could be any lead you can imagine. The scrap haulers are the last connection I have yet to make, be nice to get lead from them rather than buy it after they have sold it to the scrap yard. That and radiator shops.

lightman
03-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Good Score! Networking is a major plus when scrounging lead. Congrats on the new connection.

leebuilder
03-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Good haul and plus one on networking it never seems to amaze me were you can get materials and gizmos for our hobby.