PDA

View Full Version : 45 schofield

milltownhunter
03-17-2015, 03:53 PM
can you load 45 schofield with 45 colt dies also will they chamber in a s&w 25 45 colt or bond arms or in a judge I can find schofield brass

Silver Jack Hammer
03-17-2015, 03:56 PM
I can't get a crimp on 45 Schofield with 45 Colt dies.

DougGuy
03-17-2015, 04:45 PM
I am -told- you can load Schofield brass with .45 ACP dies. I just kept watching for a set of Schofield dies and got some..

If you are using Schofield brass b/c you cannot find .45 Colt brass, I see a post for someone selling or trading .45 Colt brass about once a week lately.

Tackleberry41
03-17-2015, 05:16 PM
Wouldn't imagine a Schofield is long enough to crimp with a 45 colt die, ACP wont give a roll crimp. They fit in anything that colt will fit in. I found new starline 45 colt on amazon just other day.

bedbugbilly
03-17-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm just getting set up to reload 45 Colt/Schofield so am no expert. I picked up a used set of 45 Colt dies as well as a used set of 45 ACP dies just in case I needed them for the Schofield casings.

I would imagine you'd just have to try the Schofield in your 45 Colt dies to see if you can get them to work. The FL sizing die will - the next thing is to see if your expanding die stem will adjust low enough to do the Schofield as well as the seating stem for the boolit you are using.

Yea . . . I know . . .straight walled cartridge means roll crimp . . but . . if you are shooting the Schofield out of a revolver, to get by, you could always try the 45 ACP seating/crimp die and see how a taper crimp works for you. I load a lot of 38 Colt Short and I use a 9mm taper crimp on them and they stay in place just fine. For a tubular magazine, I'd want 'em roll crimped.

Another alternative - if you have a set of 45 Colt dies and everything but the crimp die works on the Schofield - keep an eye on flea bay or post a WTB here and pick up a single Lyman DA seating/crimp die. Remove the stem and shorten the die from the bottom so it will work on the Schofield brass. I picked one up just for that reason to have it and I have another one to use for the 45 Colt. I prefer to seat and crimp in two different operations and I'll be doing it on my Lee classic 4 hole turret.