PDA

View Full Version : Using Neck Dies to form brass

broeckel
03-17-2015, 03:16 PM
I am going to try my hand at cartridge forming. I want to form 219 Zipper from 30-30 cases (I realize it could be done from 25-35 cases with less difficulty). Could Hornady universal neck dies be used in the forming process? Starting with a 30-30 case, I would run it in a 7mm neck die, then a 6.5mm neck die, then a 6mm die, then the 219 Zipper die. This is reducing the neck diameter approximately .020 " with each step. I would anneal between steps. Would this work? Have I over-done it with too many steps? Thanks.

Mk42gunner
03-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Try it and see. I don't know for sure, but I don't really see any problems with the extra steps.

I do think you may be planning to overdo the annealing though.

Robert

runfiverun
03-18-2015, 02:46 AM
I can partially neck size 30-30's in my 308 neck die but not even close to far enough down it to start making smaller diameter necks.

if you anneal the thin necks on the cases you will definitely start to buckle them before you accomplish the finished product.
you might want/need to anneal once you get down below or to the 25 cal stage.

I think your best results would come from using a combination of the neck sizers and using full length dies in conjunction with each other.
and you'll definitely have to watch for the case necks to start getting thicker as you go.

W.R.Buchanan
03-18-2015, 05:49 PM
I would go directly to the 6.5 and lose the others also I wouldn't anneal until done as you are compressing the material not expanding it. If you anneal first you will risk crushing the soft case necks and mouths.

I am about to do some .303 British cases to .35 cal for my .35-303. I did the few I have tried in a .358 Win FL Die backed out so it only neck sizes. I expanded it in one shot using that die which as a tapered expander that will go in the .31 cal hole to start. All I did was lube the case neck and mouth.

After they are fire formed they will get an anneal on the neck portion of the cases.

Note: I am going the other way from your experiment. Still the annealing should not be over done. Also, another reason to do your annealing after you do the reforming work is so any weak cases will show themselves.

Randy

EDG
03-19-2015, 06:00 AM
I don't think the Hornady neck dies will make you very happy.

They have about a 45 degree lead in angle and they are too large to support the walls of the case.
You might get them to work ok if you buy one in every caliber.
.284, .270, 6.5, 257, .243 - Kind of expensive.
You might have to polish a lead angle into the die to keep from accordianing the 30-30 brass

Your best bet is to stick with dies that have a gentle lead in angle (20 degrees or less) and dies that match the body diameter of the .30-30 brass.

Here is my suggestion

1. Size in 30-30 FL sizer
2. 7mm Waters (Lee FL die body $14)
3. a short 6.5 if you can find such a thing (maybe cut the bottom off of a Lee 6.5 Arisaka sizer body @ $14)
4. 25-35 (Lee FL die body $14)
5. 219 Zipper