PDA

View Full Version : Crimp quandry

Lead melter
03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I just got a shipment of Magtech all brass 410 bore cases and loaded up a few with cardboard over-powder wads, Winchester shot cups, and cardboard over shot wads. 12 grains L'il Gun and 1/2 ounce #9 shot.
Looks like great fun, but crimping is a pain. I tried a boolit seating die from a 45/70, 45 colt, sizing dies in .457, .458, .459. They all slightly crimped, but the brass would get stuck in the die and have to be wiggled out. No fun.
I'm thinking about a brass rod with a 1/2 hole drilled in the end. Set the rod on the case mouth, tap with a hammer and .........
How are you guys doing this crimp? Any ideas?:???:

wire nut
03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
You don't need to crimp the brass. Just put a drop of duco cement or use elmers as I do to hold the overshot card in place. Some use a solution call water glass to glue the cards in.
I have been playing with reloading brass .410 lately and was given some great tips by a fellow member this week that I am goung to try. Wire nut

woody1
03-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I just got a shipment of Magtech all brass 410 bore cases and loaded up a few with cardboard over-powder wads, Winchester shot cups, and cardboard over shot wads. 12 grains L'il Gun and 1/2 ounce #9 shot.
Looks like great fun, but crimping is a pain. I tried a boolit seating die from a 45/70, 45 colt, sizing dies in .457, .458, .459. They all slightly crimped, but the brass would get stuck in the die and have to be wiggled out. No fun.
I'm thinking about a brass rod with a 1/2 hole drilled in the end. Set the rod on the case mouth, tap with a hammer and .........
How are you guys doing this crimp? Any ideas?:???:

I don't use 410 brass but 444. I use a 308 Win. seat die to slightly round over the case mouth. It slightly resizes as well. Just run it in until it slightly contacts the shoulder. Use a little lube. Do you have a shellholder that fits the 410 brass? As I recall I use an RCBS#24 slightly opened up with a dremel tool for regular 410 hulls. Regards, Woody

Lead melter
03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Woody1,
Yeah, the Lee #5 fits the 410 brass. I'll try the glue technique and the 308 sizer as well. Thanks guys for the info.