PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Ridge and Beyond

nekshot
03-16-2015, 10:00 PM
My uncle Marlin finally got his book published! He was one of Edsons Raiders from the beginning of the Raiders and survived it all I believe because of a Godly mother praying for him. Its a good read from someone who actually was getting shot at and not a typewriter fighter. It is published by The Berkley Publishing Groub, "Bloody Ridge and Beyond" by Marlin "Whitey" Groft and Larry Alexander.

Bad Water Bill
03-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Sounds like a great read from a true hero.

Just ordered it.

Thank your uncle for me for his courage and service.

w5pv
03-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Thanks for your Uncles service and all the other heroes that served.

spfd1903
03-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Just finished reading the book. Great personal accounts and facts on a part of the battle to hold Guadalcanal. A few years ago there was a book published about Carlson's Raiders (American Commando). I saw "Bloody Ridge and beyond", realized it dealt with Edson's Raiders, and grabbed it off the shelf immediately.

xs11jack
03-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Read about them, tough as any man is made. Will look for the book, thanks.
Ole jack

Bad Water Bill
03-17-2015, 11:06 PM
Barnes & Noble has them in stock.

Well they did when I ordered my copy this mourning.

nekshot
03-18-2015, 08:02 AM
I think when he (the marines) were in the middle keeping the chinese and japs seperated at the official surrender and none of the marines were allowed live ammo was a scary moment for him knowing the other 2 sides were armed until the Emperor signed the surrender and then when the marines were deployed at the air field to hold off the communist chinese army he had enough and was ready to go home. Still amazing how he made it the whole way to the actuall surrender.

Dale in Louisiana
03-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Amazon has it for the Kindle. Got me a new 'road book' now.

dale in Louisiana

Hogtamer
03-18-2015, 06:23 PM
thanks nekshot....got it on ibooks as soon as I saw your post and just finished. We have a great heritage thanks to men like your uncle Whitey. sadly I don't believe the America of today could put together that kind of fighting force again.

Plate plinker
03-18-2015, 08:47 PM
So my library will grow again look forward to your uncles book.

Wolfer
03-27-2015, 04:37 PM
I just finished the book. A very good read indeed!
The little woman's grandpa was one of Carlsons Raiders. I didn't know until now there was hard feelings between the two groups.

Bad Water Bill
03-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Got my copy today

Let the reading begin.

Sure wish we here could shake this hero's hand and tell him thank you.

Bad Water Bill
04-06-2015, 12:47 PM
What an amazing read.

What an amazing marine.

I would like to sit down for a beverage with that true hero.

rking22
04-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks for posting, I will order mine tonight! My Father was with Carlson's Raiders on Guadalcanal, and maybe elsewhere, he never talked about it. Only stories he ever told were of his time with President Roosevelts guard, but he had a box full of citations and medals that mom had stashed away. Well he did state that he despised McArther for leaving them on Guadalcanal, and told about shooting a piece of flapping tin to shreads(he had the BAR)overnight at the airfield, they were all kinda twitchy, for good reason. An amazing generation, look for Artfuls post about the ladies who were left home and their contributions also.

Dale in Louisiana
04-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Bought it! Read it!

Great story.

If you're a hand's on history buff, buy this one!

dale in Louisiana

nekshot
04-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I'll be seeing my uncle in may and I will give him your regards fellas. The fight never leaves him, all you have to do is mention the current political debacle and he fires right up!