PDA

View Full Version : Roll, taper, and profile crimp - what do I need for 41 Mag in a carbine?

ohland
03-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Folks, I don't want to snag a die set that needs more parts...

For my 23" .41 Rem Mag Contender, I will be using the Lyman 410610 SWC for (hopefully) fun gun loads. So I -ASSUME- that a roll crimp might be useful. I have a box of .41 210gr XTPs inbound. The Nosler 210gr JHP looks interesting.

Bouncing between hits, I see the "taper" crimp, which tapers the mouth slightly over the jacketed bullet.

Then there is the profile crimp. Huh?

I have almost never crimped (can't remember ever doing it). But there have been references to some powder and bullet combos that require a heavy crimp, such where the boolit is a little light for the powder / charge.

So, I am confused. A crimp is a crimp by any other name...

:veryconfu

Motor
03-17-2015, 12:07 AM
I have not heard of a "profile crimp" either. i don't like taper crimp for anything other than auto pistol calibers where you are not actually crimping, not in the true sense but mearly removing the bell mouth and maybe a .001" more.

This leaves the good old roll crimp. Revolvers have always needed a good crimp to prevent the other unfired rounds in the cylinder from having the bullets walk forward under the force of recoil.

Yes it is also said that a good or even "heavy" roll crimp improves the ignition of some pistol powders, usually ball type like H-110

I suggest you go with a roll crimp. That's just my honest opinion. And that is what I use for my 41 mag. both cast and "j-word" :)

Motor

jmort
03-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Redding Profile Die crimp is a roll type crimp. If you are punching paper either taper or roll would work. If you are running hot loads and are doing field or social work, the last thing you want is a bullet to jump crimp due to recoil and bind-up your revolver. A roll crimp would be preferable to keep bullets from jumping crimp.

gpidaho
03-17-2015, 12:47 AM
The Redding profile crimp is a combination of taper and roll crimp. It taper crimps up to a point in the adjustment and then the roll crimp begins. I use one for my 35cal. loads when I want a good firm grip for slow powder loads. Works very well for me. My favorite crimp die for 357Max GP

Motor
03-17-2015, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the profile crimp discription. Learn something new every day. How does it compare to the roll crimp Lee uses in its pistol FCD. The reason I ask is I know the Lee is kind of a quick taper into roll also. This is what makes it a little more friendy to case lengths that are not all perfectly the same.

The OP states his firearm is a Contender so he has no cylinder lock up worries. LOL

Motor

jmort
03-17-2015, 01:17 AM
Just saw .41 mag and made an assumption. With a single shot I would do a light taper crimp.

Motor
03-17-2015, 02:10 AM
I may agree if he was shooting just cast but he said he wants to shoot j-words too and I assume he'd want to push them a "magnum" velocity. For me that means W-296, H-110 or something similar.

That spells heavy roll crimp to me. Or maybe the Redding profile crimp.

Motor

big bore 99
03-17-2015, 02:15 AM
For my 45-70 single shot, I like to use a full sizing die, just deep enough to remove the flare and a little more to fit chamber.

bobthenailer
03-17-2015, 06:53 AM
For only a single shot rifle or pistol a taper crimp is all that's need !
For the 357 , 44 and 454 casull relover & rifles i use all crimp styles , Taper , Roll and Reddings Profile Crimp as velocity increases from 800 to 1,450 + in that order