PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer in operation

Adam10mm
03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Just a quick clip. Should be all set now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

VTDW
03-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Just a quick clip. Should be all set now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

I gotta have one of those. That video is worth a thousand words and this should be a Sticky.

Thanks Freak,

Dave

mtgrs737
03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Cool video! You could really use one of those shovel handles! They make operating a Star much more comfortable.

Adam10mm
03-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I got three sizing dies and the shovel handle on order. Placed it this morning and the chick mailed them out when I got off the phone with her. The sizers take about three weeks to get shipped but the parts and dies are in stock. Their customer service is stellar.

IronAir
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks. How often do you have to give a twist to the lube pressure screw? Do you size a bunch, and then crank it down till it's tight again?

quasi
03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
that is so much faster than my RCBS that I can't believe it.

lathesmith
03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Great video Freak. It's worth more than 1,000 words! The Star favors single wide-groove- style boolits, but handles the skinny 2- or 3- groove boolits also(adjustment is just a bit more tricky). YMMV, but I don't have to crank down the lube pressure on mine sometimes for 30-40 boolits.
I see guys raving about that shovel handle. I got a freebie with one of my Star sizers, guess I need to dig it out and give it a try.
lathesmith

xr650
03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Good video.
Thanks man.

Dennis Eugene
03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Dang I got to get some sizer dies and get mione up and running he does 6 or 10 as fast asI do one on my RCBS. Any idea on how they seat Gas checks? Dennis

runfiverun
03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
they seat hornady's just fine
haven't tried any body elses g/c's yet
if you use the air feed you don't even have to stop to turn the lube feed
and if you use the boolit feed you get tired of lubing [bored] after about 1000 boolits

crabo
03-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I can't run that many bullets without turning my lube tensioner. I have an old one that had a bunch of black, yucky lube in it. I have often wondered if I didn't get it clean enough. I did the heat gun method and it looked clean. I also took out the large screw in the side to let the lube run out. I sometimes get holes in my lube ring.
Anyone have any similer problems?

Crabo

Adam10mm
03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks. How often do you have to give a twist to the lube pressure screw? Do you size a bunch, and then crank it down till it's tight again?
I run about 50 bullets or so. I also run a lubed bullet back through the die to keep it lubed about every 25-50 bullets or so. When I feel the resistance build up on two or three consecutive bullets and I figure it isn't because they are oversized, I run one or two lubed bullet through there again.

they seat hornady's just fine
haven't tried any body elses g/c's yet
if you use the air feed you don't even have to stop to turn the lube feed
and if you use the boolit feed you get tired of lubing [bored] after about 1000 boolits
I was wondering about checks. I use Hornady checks on all my boolits.

HeavyMetal
03-07-2008, 12:04 AM
What a neat video! Yes it should be a "sticky"! Yes the Star's are slicker than snake snot!

I think the type of lube has to to with how often you must crank down the tensenior screw to put pressure on the lube. Softer lubes do more boolits, harder lubes live longer in hot climayes!

Adam10mm
03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I lube with Lar's Red exclusively and on all my bullets, both personal and commercial.

My unwritten motto is: I will never sell something I've never shot and I will never have someone shoot something that I won't shoot myself.

mtgrs737
03-07-2008, 12:17 AM
A Star will spoil you if you do large amounts of boolits. I am keeping my Lymans for low volume runs. Get the air feed and you will not have to worry about turning the pressure feed screw, makes long runs easier. You can run it off of an air bubble it you want to as the air cylinder does not "use" a volume of air to operate, only the pressure of the tank. I have mine connected to a tiny pancake compressor with a 2 gal tank at 100 lbs. and the compressor never runs. I would bet a fully pressurised air bubble would last for 1000's of boolits if you didn't have a leak somewhere in the conections or lines.

45nut
03-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Awesome vid. Copied to Classics and Stickies.

brshooter
03-07-2008, 12:39 AM
I use a "Q" nitrogen bottle with a regulator on the tank, quick disconnect on regulator set @ 100# then another quick disconnect on the regulator on the air feed. Must have done a good job on it. When I quit for a week or two, I shut the valve on the tank off, and leave it. There is still 90-95#'s pressure a month later. You can run any inert gas bottle on it as long as you have a good pressure regulator. A "Q" botttle will last 5 years as long as you don't have leaks. The nice part, no noisy compressor to ruin the mood. Don't use CO2 as it is corroisive, and Oxygen is all so a no - no, can react with grease and burst into flames.

WildmanJack
03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm a newbie on this site, been loading on and off since the 70's, Back then I had all Star equipment, got divorced, sold all the star stuff for. $600.00. Yeah I know I should have shot myself instead!! Anyway, I just bought a Star sizer and luber on Ebay for $160.00 with .38 dies, so I need to order more dies. Man I sure miss my old progressive Star loader, but this new Dillon I bought is pretty impressive..

DJWright
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
I have two Stars. The best thing about them I think, other than being extremely fast, is that by simply pushing the bullets straight through, there is no nose punch to bend the bullets out of true. I had both a RCBS & a Lyman sizer years ago. After trying a friends Star, I was hooked.

mtgrs737
05-09-2008, 12:21 PM
If you are going to lube a lot of boolits then you can't beat a Star! Get the air cylinder and roller handle, you won't be disapointed!

Wicky
05-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I had never even heard of them until I came on this forum. Makes the old Lyman look like a model 'T' next to a Ferrari. I can see why you guys rave about them.

miestro_jerry
05-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I love mine! I am really glad that company picked up the line after Star when out of business.

I know of a guy Westerville, Ohio, who has pneumatics hooked up to his and do everything twice as fast.

Jerry

jleneave
05-15-2008, 04:17 AM
After seeing this video I called and ordered one. The lady who took my order was super nice. This thing is really nice not to mention super fast. The manual likes a little to be desired, but other than that it is a top notch piece of equipment. Quite a bit more expensive than the other units, but well worth the extra money.

Freakshow10mm, they should give you a comission for all the sales they make off this video!!

Jody

miestro_jerry
05-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Once you have gone Star, you can't go back. How many people actually have seen a Star Sizer on the used market compared to other units?

Jerry

jameslovesjammie
05-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I just got one off of Evilbay. With shipping, I was only saving $50 over the cost of a new one, but it's $50 I can put toward more components!

Gonna clean it up this weekend and give it a go!

exile
06-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I just watched the video. How much is a Star luber/sizer and what is the companies phone number, if anybody has it handy. Thanks.

GabbyM
06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
They are $250 today. From Magma Engineering Co. In Queen Creek, AZ.
http://www.magmaengr.com/index.php

dragonrider
06-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I bought mine about 15 maybe 20 years ago from a guy that had 3 for sale, he was having a hard time selling them. I paid $130 for it with a 452 die. Prolly should bought all three of them. I never used it much, always getting a glob of lube on the bullet nose and was never able to correct it. Recently I decided to pay some attention to it and work out the problem, thanks to this forum I have worked it out and am now getting great results. Just made up a die for the 360-180 Group buy bullet and it works great, except for one measly little thousandth, I was shootin for .360 and got .361. Oh well I can make another.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey,that was a neat video.I already have 10 lubrasizers but after seeing that demo I think I could find room on the floor for one more.I have 9 Lyman and one Cramer.I bought them used of course. I hate to change sizing dies .I was lucky to buy some dedicated casters life time collection of sizing dies. I have no idea how many of those I have. I have made them for the Cramer but it is a pain.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-29-2008, 01:23 AM
too cool for words! I bought one from a friend who was strapped for cash, and have not set it up yet. I use a lot of semi-spitzer rifle bullets, anybody tried them yet?

Rich

Jon K
10-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Works great, with rifle boolits, just make sure the grooves are lined up with die lube groove. With harder lubes the heater is a MUST.

Jon