PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Problem

jonp
03-15-2015, 07:48 PM
I have a harbor freight 5lb vibratory tumbler that is a couple of years old. The other day I started it up and wandered off. A while later I went "whats that smell"? Ran to the reloading room and it had stopped. I turned it off then back on and it hummed but did not start. I took it apart as best I could, poured Kroil down the shaft and tightened everthing up and sometimes it starts. Sometimes I have to bang it a little and it will run.

So, is this fried like in a bearing?

backhoe
03-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Yep,good ol Horror Frieght,Choot it Lizzy Choot it!

CT-shooter777
03-15-2015, 09:05 PM
I have a harbor freight 5lb vibratory tumbler that is a couple of years old. The other day I started it up and wandered off. A while later I went "whats that smell"? Ran to the reloading room and it had stopped. I turned it off then back on and it hummed but did not start. I took it apart as best I could, poured Kroil down the shaft and tightened everthing up and sometimes it starts. Sometimes I have to bang it a little and it will run.

So, is this fried like in a bearing?

Careful, you don't want to turn your house into the neighborhood bonfire.
probably cheaper to replace it, cost of a motor probably more than the whole item.

hithard
03-15-2015, 10:45 PM
Fried like in the motor windings, you said it when you said you smelled that smell........oh no that smell...it means new motor time.....I'm not familiar with the motors on that brand but you might want to look at a bathroom fart fan to see if it is similar....Broan Bp28 on Amazon will run you 20dlrs.

firebrick43
03-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Awwww man, you let the smoke out!

fishboy747
03-17-2015, 10:38 AM
My thumblers tumbler did this years ago and I just ordered a new one from them. Check and see if their motor is a direct fit if so that is an option.

country gent
03-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Alot of those motors are simple of the shelf fan motors with a counter wieght to provide the correct vibration and harmonics. The issue is finding the right motor. While these units run and work some for many years I always wanted to try putting the wieght on a seperate shaft between 2 bearings with a pulley drive to the motor. This would help to keep the vibration away from the motors bearings, possibly extending the life of the motor longer. Another issue is the dust enviroment and the build up of dust in the windigs and bearings.

gwpercle
03-19-2015, 05:18 PM
If you want to stick with a rotary tumbler just bite the boolit and get a Thumblers Tumbler. The one on my shelf is near 40 years old, used long and hard for rock polishing and now for brass cases. My old one has a place to put a drop of oil before each use, keep it clean and covered and you won't have to buy another .
Gary

wv109323
03-19-2015, 09:21 PM
I had a TT Ultra-vibe 18. The motor lasted 25 years. In my case it was the bearings. (actually bushings). The motor is mounted vertical and the weight of the armature eventually wore the bushings until the armature "poled" and would not start to rotate. It then quit altogether. The bushings were not rated for for thrust.
Motor was proprietary to TT. TT did have a motor that had bearings for their "professional" model UV18.

Steve Steven
03-19-2015, 09:48 PM
If you are inclined to repair it, "Surplus Center" http://www.surpluscenter.com/default.aspx has a lot of inexpensive motors, such as http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/AC-Motors/Fan-Air-Conditioner-Motors/1-15-HP-115-VAC-3-SPEED-FAN-MOTOR-10-2121.axd which is a 1/15hp fan motor for $6.

Steve

boho
03-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Jonp,
If you're interested pm me your email address and I will scan and email you the book for it. Assuming its the same model you can see what the correct motor costs and not have a Frankenstein.

salpal48
04-01-2015, 03:45 PM
I have a Horror Freight Dual. You can't leave them along. The motor's are not for Continuos Run. i only use rotary's. i would suggest getting a Lortone or Older commercial machine Like, Sears, star Diamond. Diamond Pacific.
Thumbler are very good but they are Cheaply made with a lot of Plastic. parts. I have one of those as well.. professional rock tumblers are the way to go . If they will Tumble Rocks they will clean Cases