PDA

View Full Version : how would you handle this

LUCKYDAWG13
03-15-2015, 07:29 PM
I went shooting today had a great time I was able to hit my 10" steel at a 100 yards :razz: with my Ruger SBH 44 mag
on my 98th round my ejector rod & spring fly off i was able to find the screw so after i get home and try and put the screw
back in it don't fit ? ok I'm thinking the hole is stripped dang it ( I just got back from my gunsmith) well got it back a few weeks ago first time out had a trigger job done anyway i decide to clean it and then i see 1 of my grip frame screws is gone and
there is a gap in my frame and 1 more of the screws is lose so the screw i found is for the grip frame. I guess my question is
how would you handle this is this my gunsmith fault right now I'm a bit PO

lefty o
03-15-2015, 07:31 PM
id wait till tomorrow, then call him and give him one chance to make it right.

fg-machine
03-15-2015, 07:59 PM
i do not see this as the gun smiths fault .. more of a learning experience on your part . screws loosen up .
it happens , buy some replacement screws and throw a good screw driver in your range bag for the next outing .

i would use a dab of blue loctite on the ejector rod screw and check the others after 50 or so rounds , most often after they have settled in and been retorqued once or twice things stay tight , but if you shoot stout loads often expect to have to check and tighten regularly .

Bzcraig
03-15-2015, 08:00 PM
I would tell him what happened as calmly as you wrote it in your post and let him reply. If he denies any culpability, I would follow it up with are you sure nothing you did could have resulted in what happened. Then depending on how long you have used him and how well he has treated you in the past would dictate my next move.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-15-2015, 08:21 PM
the thing that Bugs me the most is he had my gun for over 3 month's you would think that the screws would be tight I will talk to GS this week oh the Stout loads that i was using was 14.8 gr of BlueDot under a 245 castboolit just over the starting load but dang i can hit
steel with it at 100 yards
thanks for your reply's

bob208
03-15-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't see how some screws working loose after 100 full bore loads is the gunsmiths fault.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-15-2015, 08:36 PM
I don't see how some screws working loose after 100 full bore loads is the gunsmiths fault.

what full bore load 14.8 gr of BlueDot is a starting load

Idaho Mule
03-15-2015, 08:37 PM
It's your gun. Shouldn't you be responsible for making sure it's in shooting order? I know it is always easier to blame our downfalls on someone else but sometimes we just gotta face facts. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but I have had gun parts shake loose before, and usually there are definite changes in the "feel" as things progress. Not always, but most times. JW

44MAG#1
03-15-2015, 09:28 PM
I have had 2 new Rugers with the screws loose. I check my screws BEFORE I take the gun out the first time.
To me single actions are bad about screws getting loose.
Check your screws. Especially the ERH screw.
The next time you will be more aware of the situation.

contender1
03-15-2015, 09:29 PM
I own quite a few Rugers. I have seen MANY of the screws loosen & back out. I've also seen ejector housing screws unscrew, shear off studs pop out etc. When Ruger builds them, they add a thread locking sealant to the screws. Once loosened, they can start working out. I'd say be polite in talking to the gunsmith. It may not be entirely his fault. See if he has any replacement screws. If not a polite call to Ruger will likely get you the screws shipped for free.

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 09:38 PM
....... I'd say be polite in talking to the gunsmith. It may not be entirely his fault. See if he has any replacement screws. If not a polite call to Ruger will likely get you the screws shipped for free.

That would be my path.

bedbugbilly
03-15-2015, 09:59 PM
yes . . . your gunsmith worked on it . . . but then you accepted it back and then shot a 100 44 mags through it. So how do you know where to issue the blame? Maybe he did tighten the screws . . but maybe not as hard as you do? Or have you ever tightened them? I have shot SAA for 50 years and somewhere along the line, you're going to have a screw loosen up. I consider it "my job" to go over my firearms before I use them and make sure they are in operating condition - i.e. no loose screws or malfunctioning parts.

If anything . . . perhaps it is a "shared" issue that both of you are responsible for? Maybe yes . . maybe no . . and I'm not saying this to PO anyone. I'd just consider it a "learning experience" - call Ruger and order some replacement screws to fix it and to have on hand . . . 'cause if you don't put a little goop on em . . . any of them can and just might loosen up on you.

Good luck with it - you'll get it taken care of one way or another but I certainly wouldn't jump on the smith . . . regardless of how long he had it . . . you just may need his services in the future. Are a couple of screws worth damaging a relationship over?

ejcrist
03-15-2015, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't blame the gunsmith at all. I consider it my responsibility to make sure all is in order everytime I take them out for a spin, and I check everything again during and after cleaning. I haven't ever sent anything to a smith but I'd certainly give everything a very good lookin' over to make sure the work was done properly and everything went back together the way it's supposed to be.

fg-machine
03-16-2015, 02:14 AM
i do feel your pain here ,you finally get your revolver back and whammo it is out of commission the first time you take it out .
that is a bummer and i can see how one would be apt to get a bit cross eyed , but there is no reason the blame the gunsmith here .

while i do not hesitate to use locktite on my own guns , i can understand why a gunsmith wouldn't on a customers revolver .
and really three months turn around for a good gunsmith is pretty decent ... just remember all the stories you have heard about guys taking a year or even years to get
quality work done .

all said and done here .. it a rather cheap lesson a couple screws , no big deal .

i kinda suspect that part of the frustration comes from you already knowing to check and keep screws tight and in your excitement it just slipped your mind . it happens to all of us at one time or another .

lefty o
03-16-2015, 04:39 AM
so all you guys also check every bolt on your car after a mechanic fixes something???

dhom
03-16-2015, 05:49 AM
No sir, I certainly do not check my car after a mechanic works on it unless I would of had a reason from the past. [say a trust issue] Then again if I did not trust him I probably would not have let him work on it again. Experience with revolvers, especially big bores, has taught me to check the screws no matter which manufacture. All mine are now set in a medium locktite and usually worry free. I still check them on occasion.

500MAG
03-16-2015, 06:09 AM
After reading some of the comments, I had to go back and read your question. This is a 44 mag. 100 rounds through a Ruger 44 mag, especially at a starting load, shouldn't cause the screws to come loose. when doing the trigger job, those frame screws would need to be removes, correct? I would expect that I could go directly to the range, after picking it up, and go shooting. Like BZcraig said, just explain exactly what occurred. By the way, why did he have it 3 months?

LUCKYDAWG13
03-16-2015, 06:54 AM
After reading some of the comments, I had to go back and read your question. This is a 44 mag. 100 rounds through a Ruger 44 mag, especially at a starting load, shouldn't cause the screws to come loose. when doing the trigger job, those frame screws would need to be removes, correct? I would expect that I could go directly to the range, after picking it up, and go shooting. Like BZcraig said, just explain exactly what occurred. By the way, why did he have it 3 months?
To do the trigger job and ad a base cylinder pin I'm happy with the trigger job gun shoots great just unhappy
with the lose screws

Screwbolts
03-16-2015, 07:12 AM
It has been my experience in shooting the same 3 screw SBH since 1971 that if I shoot it, you have to tighten screws. I call it maintenance, I find it a normal occurrence and never thought to blame the previous owner. Or the one my Dad bought it used from before gifting it to me.

Yes, your smith had it to fix a specific item or problem. sounds like he did good on that. As I read your post,IMHO, you did not look the firearm over good enough to see that a frame screw was missing. You did state you tried to put a found screw in the ejector housing attachment point, and it didn't fit. You may not of been any happier had your smith charged you for a complete overhaul tightening and replacing all loose screws, at that point you were unaware that you had shot it loose. Parts were falling off, and you had not noticed a loose ejector housing while reloading.

If you had you auto mechanic change the starter on your car, do you also expect him to check the lug nuts for proper tightness, check the spare tire for air, check the fluid level in the battery and also make sure your license plate fasteners are properly snugged. not to mention the fasteners holding the seats in and seat belt attachments.

Just wondering?

Ken

LUCKYDAWG13
03-16-2015, 07:57 AM
If my mechanic put a new starter on an the bolts came lose on it yes I would think that it's his falt

44man
03-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Ruger used to use a nylock screw but they quit, they still got loose. Best to use red Loc-Tite on them. Make them tight and keep them tight.
Very common for them to get loose and then shear from recoil.
Other then trigger work, there is never any reason to take a Ruger apart to clean, you can lube from outside.
The ERH screw is subject to more vibration and heat so it gets loose faster.
It is up to the owner to care for the gun. Ruger's screws are very cheap, sometimes free, call them.
My neglect one time only was when I went to over 300 gr boolits and sheared 3 grip frame screws that I did not check. I keep extra screws but have not needed any since I check my screws now all the time.
Heck, you can epoxy the ERH screw and I can tell you how to get it loose right quick but why would you remove it?

44man
03-16-2015, 09:43 AM
The BFR's were a problem, the front grip frame screw was too short, catching only a few threads. The screw would strip but there was no damage to frame threads so I made my own screws. The end of that screw should go to the top of the cylinder window, flush.
I contacted MR and I believe they fixed the problem.
For Ruger's, everyone should have a set of hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers. leave the Sears screwdrivers alone!

ole 5 hole group
03-16-2015, 10:01 AM
On revolvers, rifles, scope bases & rings - sometimes it seems best to use a little locktite - HOWEVER, someday you might really regret using red or blue and I don't care how much heat you can bring to bare.

Nowadays I'll only use purple locktite on firearm and firearm related items, as it will hold and you can always remove the screws WHEN you want to.

I've only experienced a few problems with blue locktite over the years, but when I did, it was one great PITA. Purple has never come loose for me, I can't ask for more.

As for the OP question - I wouldn't even bother talking to the gunsmith, he did a great trigger job, the revolver shoots great - just call Ruger and get a couple extra screws coming your way and all will be golden. Those screws are really a non-issue and it could lead to bad feelings over nothing. I prefer to pick my fight and in this case, nothing there to get upset over, for me - but if it's something that really bothers you, then step up, let your feeling be known and let the chips fall where ever they fall.

Shuz
03-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Looks like your Ruger SBH is a new model. Ruger should send/sell you the screws you need, no problem. For those out there that have older Rugers which don't have the transfer bar as a result of being sent back to the factory, Ruger will not even SELL you anything for that gun, until the gun is re-turned for a retrofit. I recently acquired an older Super that had a few screws just slightly bunged up from previous owner(s) and I wanted the gun to be perfect like the rest of the gun. No deal, Ruger won't sell me the screws. So........I dressed them up a bit, and while not perfect, I can live with the results.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-16-2015, 11:18 AM
I gave ruger a call they pick up the phone on the first ring there going to send me the screws that I need
I still think that I should see my gun Smith not to bitch at him just to let him know about it

triggerhappy243
03-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Sure hope the smiths name is not jerry.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Sure hope the smiths name is not jerry.
No it's not I like my gun Smith he is a real nice guy just going to right this up as one that fell through the cracks

44MAG#1
03-16-2015, 02:36 PM
If you didn't check the screws before you took it out to shoot it it fell through your crack too.
Always, always, always did I say always, check your screws BEFORE you take your gun to shoot it.
Even if they have loctite on them. Even from the factory, even from a 'smith, even check yourself.
Saves aggravation.

clum553946
03-16-2015, 03:01 PM
I think that's the best way to handle the situation.

I gave ruger a call they pick up the phone on the first ring there going to send me the screws that I need
I still think that I should see my gun Smith not to bitch at him just to let him know about it

fg-machine
03-16-2015, 03:10 PM
so all you guys also check every bolt on your car after a mechanic fixes something???

more often then not i work on my own car ... but if i do have a mechanic fix something i do tend to double check things .

if its a safety issue your darn right i check to be sure things are right including bolts being tight ..... don't you check your lug nuts after driving a few miles if you get new tires or have your brakes done ?