PDA

View Full Version : Need Sight Help

JohnH
03-06-2008, 11:44 PM
I picked up a fixed sight Taurus Gaucho in 357 Mag two weeks ago. Already have 420 rounds through it, a fun shooter indeed :) However, it shoots 2-3 inches left of POA and 2-3" high depending on load velocity. Elevation is no biggy, I can always aim high or low as needed, but windage is a bit tricker. So how does one correct a fixed sight sight revolver for windage? Thanks JohnH

MtGun44
03-07-2008, 01:09 AM
I have never done it, but I have heard of two ways - both sound a bit
scary to me and I'm about half good on the mill and lathe. One is
to bend the front sight slightly. For instance, if you have 7" between the
sights (guessing for a 5.5" bbl) and are shooting 3" off at 25 yds, you need
to move the top of the front sight .023". I have no idea how they bend
the sight, but they are brazed or silver soldered on, so you have to be
careful not to knock it off. Also, I have heard that some gunsmiths can
change the clocking of the barrel by removing it and (I presume) trimming
a hair off of the seating shoulder that contacts the front of the frame or
peening it slightly to make it lock up sooner.

Sounds like a place for a pro, to me.

Bill

EDK
03-07-2008, 05:23 AM
Try playing with your loads a bit, varying weight of powder charge, type of powder, boolit weight. You can also switch grips and achieve a different point of impact.

"Conventional Wisdom" is that a 357 is somewhat sensitive to such changes and point of impact with the same point of aim can move around a lot...usually when you don't want it to!

Depending on your pistol's finish, you could also file or mill the rear sight groove a little wider to the side you want the group to go to. It might also improve your sight picture. It's an option I have considered on a couple of VaQUEROS, along with a wider front sight, to help a set of 59 year old eyes.

I am currently shooting a group of 357 and 44 Original Size RUGER VAQUEROS. The 44s, with either BISLEY or DRAGOON, grip frames, seem to go to the same point of aim/point of impact, regardless of minor load variations, etc. The 357s with the same grip frames can go all over the place when I change grips or boolits or powder type/charge weight.

I've used the LYMAN 357 Cowboy Boolit, but am experimenting with 358156, 357446, 358429 and when I get some cast, 358627. The RANCH DOG 359 190 looks to be a good option when he gets them in stock this summer.

If you like to experiment, you have a nice project. If you prefer "the one good load" and don't like to tinker, you have a challenge. There are a lot of things to be said in favor of adjustable sights on pistols. I had adjustable sight Rugers for 30+ years until I got interested in Cowboy Action Shooting and Original Size VAQUEROS a few years ago....and then they discontinued the model I liked!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Bass Ackward
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Flintch low right. :grin:

JIMinPHX
03-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Pardon me for starting with a stupid question, but if you are right handed (my assumption there) & the gun is shooting a little to the left, are you sure that you aren’t “dipping” when you shoot? You can find that out by loading 1 piece of empty brass in with the live stuff when you load it, then giving your cylinder a spin so that you don’t know where the “dead” shell is. If you’re dipping, you’ll find that out when you pull the trigger on the dead shell & your barrel “dips” towards the ground.

That aside, At what distance is it shooting 2” left? If it’s 2” left at 5 yards, then you need a big adjustment. If it’s 2” left at 25 yards, then the adjustment is very minor. Is the front sight in a dovetail or is it solid to the barrel? How many different load variations did you try?

JohnH
03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Flintch low right. :grin:

Bass, What a simple straight forward answer. No wonder it eluded me. Simple genius like this is so rare in our complicated world. It's why I keep coming here ;) Why I bet I could even master such a flinch with a Smith Mountain Gun. Bet one of them titanium models would do it in less than 50 rounds. Prolly why they make it.