PDA

View Full Version : once fired brass question

hound13
03-15-2015, 10:09 AM
I was looking through some 1 time fired brass for my 32 win spl ,and noticed 1pc of brass had the primer popped out from the head this was not fired from my gun I got them at a gun show. when you see things like that is a good idea to reload them or toss them to be on the safe side ????? to me it looks like the guy made it to hot and there was extra pressure right??????

Pipefitter
03-15-2015, 10:20 AM
If the primer is backed out a bit, but not flattened, to me it is an indication of headspace/improper adjustment of sizing die. If the headspace is too long the firing pin drives the case deeper into the chamber before setting off the primer. The case expands to grip the chamber walls and the primer backs out to meet the bolt face. Adjust the sizing die so that the neck is resized, but the die just touches the shoulder of the case (after lubing the case "smoke" the neck/shoulder area with a match or candle and adjust the sizing die accordingly).
If the primer is flattened and the primer pocket is expanded, that is a sure sign of overpressure, and the case is trash.
Pictures of the case head and body would be a big help here

MarkP
03-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Very Light loads will do this as well.

mdi
03-15-2015, 11:56 AM
I'd set it aside and when I had nothing else to do I'd mic the case head looking for any expansion, and try a new primer for fit (pocket may be too large, expanded by an overload). Otherwise I agree with the above posts...

Yodogsandman
03-15-2015, 12:18 PM
I realize it's hard to find 32 spl but, just throw it out. When buying second hand brass, you have to figure on throwing out anything that doesn't quite seem right. I've thrown out up to 10% from a very reputable source, from a gun mfr's test range (they only shoot new factory rounds). Look for the wrong colored primers for the headstamp brand. Look at the case mouths, do they have the new brass ridges? Or have they been trimmed? Are the case heads scraped, like high pressure signs? Good on you for checking closely, it might save you lots of problems.

Jeff Maney
03-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Size that case & then use it without a primer to make a 'dummy' round of one of your favorite loads. Sure makes it easy to set up the seater die the next time you need to load that again. I mark my 'dummies' with a Sharpie, COAL, distance from lands, bullet type, etc. Really handy for loads that have the COAL near the lands.

Jeff

Motor
03-15-2015, 06:54 PM
This is typical of break action and lever action rifles. I've seen it many times.

The case expands and grips the chamber wall. This grip is often enough to hold it and allow the primer to back out.

This is why MarkP said very light loads, because the very light loads never make enough pressure to force the case back against the bolt face.

Its NBD, use the brass.

Motor

Uncle R.
03-15-2015, 07:10 PM
This is typical of light loads in rimless cases. In a rimmed cartridge like the .32 special if the primer stands out more than just a few thousandths I would suspect excessive headspace in the rifle that round was fired in. It's still a sign of a light load and if careful inspection of the case shows no problems I would expect the brass to be OK to use.

Uncle R.

Motor
03-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Even a rimmed case needs room to allow for minor differences in rim thickness. I'd bet money if you do the math every rimmed rifle round out there would show a high primer if the case did not back up under pressure to the bolt face. It's simple manufacturing tolerance.

Motor

hound13
03-15-2015, 10:20 PM
I would take a pic and put it on but I don't know how thanks for the help guys

DuckHunterJon
03-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Could be a few different things, but if it's only one, if toss it. If it was a bunch, if break out the calipers and take some measurements.

Deadpool
03-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Size that case & then use it without a primer to make a 'dummy' round of one of your favorite loads

best answer