PDA

View Full Version : Lee turrets 3 or 4 hole

Blanco
03-15-2015, 08:37 AM
I have a Lee classic turret press that has become my dedicated Rifle loading platform. Way too easy to load rifle stuff on.
So here is my question. with most rifle die sets I have an empty hole left over. I don't like empty holes....
So can I use the 3 hole turret on my classic press? Will the timing be correct? Will I miss the empty hole?

dragon813gt
03-15-2015, 09:08 AM
No, you can't. The Classic cast is designed for the four hole turrets. They make an upgrade kit to turn the three hole into a four. There isn't one the other way.

hc18flyer
03-15-2015, 09:19 AM
I have a universal decap on one of mine, or my Lyman M die for cast. I don't use the auto indexing feature, just like have all dies in and adjusted. Flyer

Bohica793
03-15-2015, 09:26 AM
I actually have all 4 of mine in use for 223 - Size/decap, rifle charging die, seating die, factory crimp die. My 45-70 I still load on my single stage as I am not loading in bulk for it.

Blanco
03-15-2015, 09:51 AM
I started out on the Classic, so we have a long term affair.
After I moved to Loadmasters and some RCBS equipment the little classic cast got lonely. Then I discovered / Rediscovered how easy rifle loading was on it.
I think I have about 25 turrets each already set for that particular caliber. What could be easier? No need to swap dies around. Just pop one out pop a new one in. The dies are in most cases already set up from the previous use. Just a little tweak and load like crazy.

dragon813gt
03-15-2015, 11:04 AM
I use all four stations on mine as well. Charge, expand, seat and crimp. I've found runout to be acceptable for plinking ammo. But to much for target ammo. There is to much play in the turret. But we're talking minimal amounts of runout.

mdi
03-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Nope, can't swap a 3 hole turret for a 4 hole turret. I can/would add a ram prime unit if I had to fill a hole that needed filling (I have one on my 30-30 turret and since it only takes 22.75 seconds to swap a turret, I can just put my 30-30 turret in the press and prime anything I need, just use appropriate shell holder...).

44Vaquero
03-15-2015, 03:01 PM
YES, it is possible to swap the 4-hole Turret carrier head of a Classic Cast Turret over to a 3-Hole unit the parts are modular and are a direct bolt on swap! There will how-ever be a trade off unless you already have a 3-hole index system (Lee discontinued them a few years back) you will loose the ability to auto index. Additionally, the operating rod will not be long enough so a new one would have to fashioned even if you were in possession of the aforementioned discontinued parts.

If you are reasonably mechanically inclined the swap out is very simple and if you wish to continue using the auto-index a little E-bay Foo may be required to source the parts but it can be done.

454PB
03-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I had two of the older Lee turret presses when I bought the Lee Classic Turret. Since all my handgun dies were already set in 3 hole turrets, I robbed the head off of one of the older units and swapped it for the head on the 4 holer. It only takes a few minutes to do the swap, but you do need those older Lee 3 hole turret parts.

Blanco
03-15-2015, 03:58 PM
I might have considered it if it was just a drop in deal.
I don't mind having an empty hole or 2. You guys are a wondrous wealth of hands on knowledge and experience.

OuchHot!
03-15-2015, 04:15 PM
If it is just the extra hole that bothers you, then maybe a mini flashlight for illumination is useful. Or crimp separate from seating or a powder check station. Just suggesting but I would rather have too many holes than not enough.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-16-2015, 01:02 AM
If you don't already have the parts on hand, probably not worth the cost.

mdi
03-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Well, if yer talking about switching turrets, 4 hole and 3 hole, nope. But if you're talking converting a 4 hole set-up to a 3 hole, then yep can be done easily with the proper parts...

bedbugbilly
03-17-2015, 09:27 PM
I have a Lee Classic 4 hole - it mostly gets used for pistol loading but I also do some rifle loading. To me, it's not a big issue. If you only use two or three of the four holes, the dies are in the progression that you use them and it's pretty easy to pull the lever and index past the empty hole back to your first die. I was thinking about a 3 hole but why? For the money I'd put in to an extra press (3 hole), I could buy more 4 hole turret plates.

I still use my RCBS Jr3 single stage for batch loading some cartridges or for working up loads. I'm not loading thousands rounds though so for me the 4 hole turret is a great workhorse - I love mine!

44Vaquero
03-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Because you can do this!

Plates5
03-17-2015, 11:12 PM
44vaquero. Would you be interested in selling the index rod for 3 hole press?

Geezer in NH
03-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Use a size die, M die, seat die, crimp die. Or ignore the 4th hole??

MaryB
03-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Size/deprime, expander with powder drop or universal rifle powder die, bullet seat and feed, crimp die. I use all 4 holes. That is for loading range ammo for the rifles or for pistol ammo. Rifle accuracy ammo I weigh each powder charge and use a funnel on the powder die. Have 800 rounds of 223 blasting ammo to get loaded along with about 500 pistol rounds. Saving it for after neck surgery so I have something to do besides walk... won't be shooting for at east a month or more.