PDA

View Full Version : Checkering cradle

Coffeecup
03-15-2015, 04:57 AM
I can no longer avoid it: I've got two stocks I need to checker before I'll be happy with them. That means I've got to get new tools and a new cradle. ("New" because 30 years ago, I gave away my tools and cradle so I'd never be tempted to checker a stock again.)

The cradle I used before was designed by Frank DeHaas, and published in the January 1975 issue of American Rifleman. Does anyone have a copy they could loan/copy/scan for me?

Thanks,
Jim

Coffeecup
03-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Just found a source for the plans, should have them in my grubby fingers in a week or two. Thanks to the folks who helped me locate them!

Jim

BrentD
03-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Would it be too much to post those plans here, or are they being sold by someone. I don't want to cut into someone's business model, but I too need to build a checkering cradle and have at it.

Brent

BigEyeBob
03-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Would it be too much to post those plans here, or are they being sold by someone. I don't want to cut into someone's business model, but I too need to build a checkering cradle and have at it.

Brent

I would also be interested in where to source the plans .I have my own ideas how it should /would be but its good to get some idea where to start.

Kev.

edit : actually did a google and found this .
http://rickaverill.com/projects-past-and-present/checkering-cradle/

Coffeecup
03-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Don't know copyright on the plans has expired, but you can always do what I did--get on ebay and buy a copy of the magazine. I'll try to remember to post a photo when I get the cradle built.

That said, I'm in a bit of an odd position: some injuries make it easier for me to go back to the cradle I used so much back in the '80s. The only reason I used that cradle over something like the one in the link posted by BigEyeBob was that it was given to me.

The cradle Bob linked to would definitely be easier to build. I'd use the dimensions given, but instead of using a clamp on the butt, I'd just use a box with sides about 1" tall. The butt would get padded in the box with some closed-cell foam, and the stock would be pinched in place between the box and the cup holding the forend. Definitely easier to use than the towel-on-a-benchtop I used to checker a half-dozen or so stocks before getting a cradle.

M-Tecs
03-19-2015, 11:30 PM
I will look and see if I can find it. I just purchased a bunch of old riflemans.