PDA

View Full Version : 1911/Commander build

Ithaca Gunner
03-14-2015, 09:32 PM
I bought an 80% aluminum alloy frame, jig, and tooling from Stealth Arms and milled the rails, the barrel seat, and drilled two holes. Finished frame? Not quite, it still needed some cleaning and minor hand work with files and stone. I had a Colt 1991A1 Commander upper laying around, (stripped of it's lawyer proof firing pin block) and a bunch of other spares, so I ordered a small parts lit from SARCO. SARCO's shipping is slow and quite honestly, the parts kit leaves something to be desired, next build I'm ordering the parts individually as several of the parts in the kit are of such poor quality I have to replace them anyway. Well, it's put together, feeds, fires, and ejects hardball ammo without a hitch, cast will require polishing of the feed ramp. Here it is, fit for pictures. I have a can of Brownell's "Gun Coat" in flat black, but I think I'll save it for the steel frame I have on order, as the lightweight frame looks good to me as-is, I kind of like the contrast. I didn't cut the frame down to Commander length as I may want to use a full size 1911 slide sometime in the future.

Jupiter7
03-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Looks good. Surprised you didn't shorten dustcover since you built a 4.25 on a Govt. frame.

DougGuy
03-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Seen what a decent Commander upper fetches on fleabay lately? :shocked:

Ithaca Gunner
03-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Seen what a decent Commander upper fetches on fleabay lately? :shocked:

Yes, I have, about the same as what they are on Gun Broker, $500.00 and up. I'm glad I got the two I have for what I paid for them.

Ithaca Gunner
03-15-2015, 12:04 AM
Looks good. Surprised you didn't shorten dustcover since you built a 4.25 on a Govt. frame.

In time I most likely will make a dedicated Commander out of this frame. I'm looking forward to the steel frame I have on order for another Commander build and then three more to use up the full size slide assemblies I have laying around.