PDA

View Full Version : Best Gong Metal

Matt Muir
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi all just wondering what thickness, type of metal makes the best Gong soundwith metal. We were shooting a slab around 1 inch thick at 250 yrds and all we heard is a thwack. I thought I remembered hearing that an old cast iron frying pan made a cool sound but I cant imagine the cheap junk sold now could stand up to these rounds.

I can weld and have a torch so construction is not a problem. Just looking for a style that make a good sound when its hit. The boys will shoot much more when its fun, not just punching paper. Me too:-D

fishhawk
03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
try a 14 inch disk from a farm

Kenny Wasserburger
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
1/2 inch AR-500 rings real nice,

I have them on my 800-900-1000 yard targets for centers 36 inches in diam.

Nice ring to them.

Kenny Wasserburger

waksupi
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I like old oxegen or acetylene tanks cut in half. Ring real good.

yarro
03-06-2008, 09:37 PM
AR-400 or AR-500 makes the best steel targets for dubability. How do you have it mounted? It needs to be hung or on a single sturdy well achored metal stake or pole to get it to ring. Hard metal like the abrasion resistant steels above ring much better than mild steels. It is generally used in plows, loader buckets, blades from graders and dozers, forks from a forklift. A friend used to have a couple of chunks of fork hung from a chain. They rang real nice. His idiot step son put a bunch of AP through them and ruined them. Check for these from forklift dealers.

-Yarro

Matt Muir
03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks all, will try these setups.

crossfireoops
03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
The way you hang 'em's got a lot to do with how they ring. To solid to the hanger structure just dampens any resonance.

A cultivator disc is pretty hard to beat, budget wise,.......Properly hung, ...cut Oxy Bottles and such are good......legnths of well casing, too.

KW's right,....the spendier AR plates just naturally ring better.....and you can get churchbell like notes.

GTC

twotrees
03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Rail road tie plates ring good, and IF you miss you can always say you shot through one of the spike holes[smilie=1: Hehehehehehehe

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees

Matt Muir
03-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I like that, shot through the holes. I may just burn a 1 inch hole in the center and blame all my misses on shooting through.

standles
03-06-2008, 11:48 PM

They do make nice gongs. Careful with the Acetylene tanks though. They are not hollow. They are filled with a porous material and the Acetylene is absorbed into Acetone.

Also make sure you place them far enough out or shoot with a low enough velocity not to hole them

Steven

Boz330
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM

Pretty small though at 300yd.:shock:

Bob

freedom475
03-09-2008, 02:50 PM
If you hang a piece of chain loosely accross the back of the plate it will make a nice clanker addition, Have one on a BIG gong. Shots can be taken from over a mile away and the chain makes it possible to here the hits. Just a little motion slaps the chain against the steel. It is anchored solid from chains attached to 2 machinery blades driven into the ground.