PDA

View Full Version : 1911 VS Glock

Love Life
03-14-2015, 07:36 PM
I'll try this again...in the correct forum.

This is the official 1911 VS Glock thread. This is the place to declare your side, and support it. All evidence is admissible to include: Verifiable proof, anecdotal evidence, tall tales, retelling of things you heard, etc.

So which is better?

Included is the only known photo of a 1911 Sammich with a side of Commander model:

Tom W.
03-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Can't say which is "better". I had a Colt GM for 40 years and traded it for a Glock Gen 4 Mod.30 The Colt did have an easier trigger to master...

JSnover
03-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Dunno. The Glock is lighter but it's bulkier. Doesn't fit my hand the way the 1911 does.

Lefty Red
03-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Hmmm,

Out of the box-Glock
Tricked out-1911

Jerry

Don Purcell
03-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Utilitarian verses class.

rogerstg
03-14-2015, 08:07 PM
I enjoy shooting with a good trigger on a 1911 or any hammer gun more than any striker fired pistol. That doesn't mean it's better, just my preference for recreational shooting.

aarolar
03-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Neither I vote M&P

LUCKYDAWG13
03-14-2015, 08:16 PM
some how i can just see my son passing down my 1911 to my grand son one day long after I'm gone
not my plastic gun

BrianL
03-14-2015, 08:28 PM
I had the model 30 (the cast bullet barrel is listed in S & S) and two Springfield 1911's. I tried to make the 30 my carry gun but for my 2 cents, the 1911's feel better , shoot better for a utilitarian purpose. I can hit a rabbits head every time. If the 'game' is shooting back, the Glock's firepower might give it an edge with capacity. As for concealment, it wasn't really any better than the 1911.

Valley Forge
03-14-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm unqualified because I don't have an open mind. I've only shot a Glock twice and it just didn't feel right to me. I've been shooting 1911's for a long, long time and can't help but long for just one more.

gkainz
03-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Every time I start to feel a little bad about badmouthing Glocks and think I need to give it another try, my hand sort of throws up just a little as I try to wrap my fingers around the Glock. So, I've promised myself to heed my dear old mother's advice of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." :)

ejcrist
03-14-2015, 08:42 PM
I like my 1911's a whole lot better for a variety of reasons, but I seem to carry my Glock more often because I don't worry if it gets dinged, scratched, etc. So I vote for the 1911 but I don't have anything negative to say about Glocks since they do the job well for me.

Comrade Mike
03-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Depends on what context were talking about.

bouncer50
03-14-2015, 08:51 PM
The 1911 has been around for over 100 years now. Its a time tested prove it a good design. I am willing to bet it will be here for another 100 years unless they have a super type of ray-gun in the future. Time will tell about the Glocks future. A lot of guns have come and gone but the 1911 is here to stay.

OutHuntn84
03-14-2015, 09:00 PM
I love my Glock. Just what I know. Everytime I pull it up Im on target. Never could get that with a 1911

lefty o
03-14-2015, 09:03 PM
at the same price point, the glock is a more reliable pistol. i have more 1911's than glocks, but facts is facts, you have to pay more for a quality reliable 1911.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Is the Glock not a time tested and proven design?

bhn22
03-14-2015, 09:16 PM
There is no "best". Things vary in utility and ease of use from user to user. I've had nine different Glocks, now I have none. I've had five different 1911s, and now I have three.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 09:38 PM
To me, the answer is both and neither. It just depends on the application.

I have owned many Glocks through the years and many 1911's. I've had one dud Glock and 1 dud 1911.

Out of the box the Glocks and 1911s shoot pretty close to each other on paper in the 45 ACP cartridge. I've never tried to "tune" a Glock for accuracy and have no idea if they will hang with a fully tuned wad gun of the 1911 variety if a Glock can be tuned to that level of accuracy.

For concealing, the 1911 pretty much wins across the size spectrum from full size to sub-compact. The Glock 26 and 19 are more concealable than the 17, but they are still very thick. The Glock 36 does well for concealing, but only has 7 rds so you might as well have a Commander model 1911. The 30S is quite good, but still lags behind the Commander model 1911 for concealing.

Reliability. As the gun gets smaller, Glocks reliability edge increases.

Bringing the ruckus. Glock wins hands down for available firepower on tap. I carry a 1911 with 2 magazines for CCW in all seasons, but when traveling or possibly having to go into bad places a Glock 21 on the duty belt with 5 magazines has the edge on a similarly decked out belt with a 1911 and 5 magazines. The numbers are undeniable.

Looks. The 1911 walks all over the Glock in the looks department.

Reliability in adverse conditions. Well, they are both reliable platforms and if you do just a smidge of weapons maintenance then both will be fine.

So is one really better than the other? Yes and no. It depends on the application.

Those are my thoughts on it.

Bigslug
03-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Honestly, they are my #1 (1911) and #2 (Glock) favorites for semi autos - it's most of the other offerings I don't have much use for.

Here's my take on it for the operator:

The 1911's is the refined samurai sword for the warrior who really focuses on and trains at his craft, and learns the intricate aspects of the tools of life at the sharp end. The Glock is the crude, but effective boarding cutlass for the guy who is normally up in the rigging hanging sails, but realistically might have to chop someone up someday.

The thing I like about the Glock is that, among all the ways since the early 1930's that lawyers have come up with to hamper the accurate combat firing of pistols with devices that "idiot proof" them, the Glock probably hampers the operator the least.

From a maintenance perspective:

The 1911 was designed to be a bulletproof tank of a pistol that you can often easily fix in the middle of nowhere by adjusting the parts you have, or by finding a blacksmith to get clever and make them for you. In the days of remote deployment in a pre-internet, pre-telephone, pre-fax-ordering world, this was emphatically the kind of weapon you wanted. AND, if you don't get overly into the modern features like ambi safeties and goofy guide rods, you can take it almost all the way apart with the pistol itself providing the tools for the job.

The Glock is probably the best of the modern "planned service life" guns in that most of what can go wrong on them can be solved with a new, drop-in, no-need-to-adjust part. . . AND you can take it pretty much all the way apart in under a minute with one tool - a drift punch.

I don't think anything else comes close to these two. I'll gleefully roll with either, prefer the 1911 for myself, and the Glock if I have to take care of several hundred of them.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 09:45 PM
I wonder what John M. Browning would create today with all the new materials available. What the man did during his time on this earth is just simply astounding.

Char-Gar
03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
I have them both and use them both, but they are not comparable pistols, is not fair to compare the two.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 09:57 PM
I have them both and use them both, but they are not comparable pistols, is not fair to compare the two.

I agree.

Jupiter7
03-14-2015, 10:38 PM
I've been a handgun shooter for about 6+ years. My first handgun was a gen 3 G17, it was my only handgun for about 3yrs, I put about 12k down the pipe that first 3yrs but I never could shoot it well, good enough for SD but not accurate in my hands. I finally came to the solution, it just doesn't fit my hands. Bought a 1911 and the glock sat for 18months, unfired. I found the solution to my accurate shooting woes on the first day. Me and the 1911 just get along better, ergonomically. I sold the glock and now own 7 1911's and one 2011.

About a year ago a buddy got a gen4 g35, I picked it up and took out a falling plate rack in short order at 15yds, apparently it was me all the time. I recently picked up a G29 for carry, accuracy seems on par with my other shooting. I still will shoot 1911's more, maybe for sake of nostalgia. I'm in the process of replacing all my non 1911 semi's with glocks. Guns are tools, like hammers, with proper training and practice anyone can use either. For carry I'll use glocks, competition/plinking/showing off the 1911 still holds a edge.

Bigslug
03-14-2015, 10:43 PM

I think it is INEVITABLE to compare the two.

The thing I grouse about most in pistol design is that so often things are done for the safety of idiots (notably DA-to-SA triggers and decockers) that the handgun's originally-intended function AS A WEAPON is degraded. The 1911 had some features (grip and thumb safeties) installed for the benefit of the lowest common denominator, but it was designed before the existence of the nanny state. The Glock recognized the drawbacks of the nanny state design philosophy and started to head back toward the pure weapon - while still addressing the fact that you have to keep it simple for a lot of folks. As long as you hammer in "keep your booger hook off the bang switch", you don't need to hammer them on much else.

And I also like to point out that 100 years on, we need to be a little careful in defining a "1911" for this comparison. The trend looks promising (to me) but hopefully, we'll start to see more looser-tolerance fighting guns that don't try to be all things to all people. "Match accuracy" (that virtually no one can exploit) has become such a selling point on glossy magazine pages that the zombified masses forget what that pistol is really for.

nagantguy
03-14-2015, 11:21 PM
For me after years and years with the 1911 and playing with glocks here and there, the 1911 fits and feels better in my hand. That translates to metal on meat quicker and tighter than with a glock. I might be limited toless rounds but will be more accurate with the 9 on board. I think the biggest factor is I have small hands for a guy my size, just under 6 foot and 225. I've shot and trained with 1911s in competition classes and twice down and dirty, comfort and familiarity with a weapon platform goes a long way. I've watched hours of video of myself shooting a 1911and I see my self making hits, clearing malfunctions and switching hands when I can't consciously remember doing such. The m16/ar15/m4 isn't my favorite weapon system but I have 20 years of training on the system, I can make it run, same with the 1911.

flyingmonkey35
03-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Let's see if I run out of ammo I can use a 1911 as a small club that will do serious damage to the object I'm hitting with little to no damage to the gun.

A glock on the other hand may start to fall apart on you after a good few whacks.

So for a survivalist stand point the 1911 has got my vote.

Frank46
03-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like the hammer fired pistols. 1911's,sig 239 and P6, cz82 and such. I've shot other folks glocks and never warmed up to a striker type pistol. Frank

GhostHawk
03-15-2015, 12:22 AM
I've never had a glock, although I have held and shot them.

I do have a 1911, a Springfield Armory mid 90's model. With good hand loaded ammo the 2 of us are slowly becoming a good team.
My last trip to the range I put 8 in the center in about a 4" group at 20 feet. That is good enough for me, as I really don't want to have to ever use it.
But I do prefer that if I ever did choose to that I could use it effectively. It will easily throw 8 big chunks of lead downrange in under 8 seconds, and put them all in the same spot if I do my part.

It looks and feels like a weapon of war, which in my opinion it is. There is nothing cheap, plastic, or casual about it. When I pick it up I find I need to find and get a good hold on my intestinal fortitude, then get a good hold on my pistol, then let hell fly.

I really don't like pistols a lot, as I feel like they really were designed for one purpose, killing people.

If that makes me a pacifist, ok.

I think there are 3 kinds of people in the world. There are sheep, which are easily scared, but won't do much about it. There are wolves which prey on sheep, and I think enjoy it. And then there are sheepdogs. They may look like a sheep, and at times they may act like a sheep. But when the conditions are right they will defend the flock from the wolves.

So I guess I'm a sheep with a sheepdog complex.

brtelec
03-15-2015, 12:29 AM
I just own both

Love Life
03-15-2015, 01:17 AM
I also own both (See 1911 sammich), and even though I switch between the two platforms quite a bit, I have no issues getting 1st rd hits out to 25 yds on an echo target. It's pretty easy.

Cmm_3940
03-15-2015, 01:49 AM
Apples vs. banannas.

waksupi
03-15-2015, 02:27 AM
Dishwasher safe guns just ain't right. A 1911 feels "right" in your hand.

freebullet
03-15-2015, 02:38 AM
Of the 2 I'm going with 1911. It's like comparing a vdub bus(glock) to a space shuttle (1911).

In addition I will say glocks may or may not be the leading cause Of Liberal tears.Did ya know Gabriel Gifford has a glock? She is a strong supporter of gun rights. She keeps it in a safe like a good gun owner should.

Not a true 1911, but same darn thing pretty near far as I can tell.
My glock is an xd.

alrighty
03-15-2015, 03:03 AM
I like the 1911 , it works best for me.IMO the 1911 does have a larger learning curve for everyday carry use over the Glock.
I at times carry a Smith and Wesson M&P. My M&P's also have the thumb safety and very nice Apex trigger kits.The thumb safety really helps me get a good high grip from a concealed draw.
I have no problem with Glocks other than they simply don't fit my smaller hands as well.

badbob454
03-15-2015, 03:28 AM
1911's are beautifull weapons , glocks are square boxy and ugly , but i trust my 10 mm glock , my hands are big enough so its comfortable, both are good guns but i would rely on my glock

9.3X62AL
03-15-2015, 04:43 AM
I own both. I shoot both--a lot. I carry both. I trust both. I enjoy both. I will buy more of both.

N4AUD
03-15-2015, 06:01 AM
I think it's apples vs oranges, but I prefer a 1911 over a Glock. I just never acquired any feeling for a Glock, and I shoot a 1911 pretty well so why change?

Char-Gar
03-15-2015, 07:53 AM
I own both. I shoot both--a lot. I carry both. I trust both. I enjoy both. I will buy more of both.

That is pretty close to being the story of my life as well. I started shooting the 1911 in 1961 and had owned many over the years. As a result of the long years of use, the fit my hand and nervous system like a glove. They are an extension of my arm.

The Glock is a tool pure and simple, but a very good tool for the job of a combat sidearm or personal defense weapon.

I live on the border with all the hazards that go along with that. I carry a Glock 19, because I want the extra magazine capacity and like the light weight. The G19 or a G17 are near at hand 24/7 in the house.

When I go to the range or head for the brush I will have one of my 1911s in 45 ACP with me.

Geraldo
03-15-2015, 08:12 AM
Love 1911s, hate Glocks, and I've tried Glocks in everything except .357 SIG, from the 26/27, 17/22/34, 20/21/30. If I had to buy a plastic pistol now it would be an HK VP9 or a Walther PPQ.

375supermag
03-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Hi...

I am a dyed-in-wool 1911 type of guy.
Own a couple,a full-sized blued Springfield and a nickle Colt Combat Commander both in .45ACP. They just feel right in my hand and I have been shooting them for so long that the bullets just seem to automatically go into the 10-ring.

I have some experience shooting rental Glocks and one's owned by others. Ergonomics just aren't there for me. Accurate enough and reliable, just don't feel any thing for them.

When I went shopping for my first polymer handgun a couple of weeks ago, I tried several different polymer guns and the Glock didn't win the competition, even though I could have had a police trade-in at considerably less cost. I purchased a new M&P40, because it was the most ergonomic and the sights aligned better than the Glock.

If I feel the need to replace one of my 1911 carry guns in the future, I will replace it with another 1911 in .45ACP. When I pick up a 1911, my mind brings forth images of a WWI marine clearing a trench in France or a 1930s era private detective dealing with a gangster outside of a speakeasy. A 1911 just touches my soul...as someone said "A more elegant weapon for a more civilized time".

When I pick up a Glock, I think plastic...cheap and expendable. No soul...nothing to stir the imagination or memories.

Animal
03-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Where I live, I get the impression that most folks prefer 1911. I do as well. I think the carry laws dictate which gun might be more efficient in certain cases. I've never tried to conceal a Glock, but I have a feeling it would be easier than a 1911. Georgia doesn't mind open carry, so citizens are a bit more flexible in what they choose to carry. Sometimes I think I'd like to have a Glock for my occasional trips to Texas. I just have a hunch that it would be easier to conceal.
Regarding round capacity... I'd feel comfortable with a 5 round 44spl. If 5 rounds cant keep me alive, I'm not sure what 2 more is going to do in most cases. Depending on where I'm going, I might carry extra magazines. But during my normal routine, I'm totally happy with a fullsize M1911 on my hip in condition 1 without extra mags.
BTW, does anyone know what Texas decided to do with their open/conceal carry laws? Seems they wanted to consider going to open carry.

tigweldit
03-15-2015, 09:24 AM
I have two 1911's. One Comander and one Gold cup. Both shoot 2" groups at 50 yards from a rest with my handloaded cast bullets with Bulseye powder. I had a Glock 21 for several years and was never able to get to get my groups under 6",no matter what the load,factory or reloads. I did like the feel of the Glock and the larger capacity mags. But I'll stick with the 1911. They fit my hand better. A little easier to conceal. More accurate. And more class!

bouncer50
03-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Picking a gun is like a women. Some guys like slim women other with a little meat or plain fat. Tall or short big breast or small breast. Big butt small butt. Pick what you want, if your happy with it that fine with me. My choice of girls are lean and mean. I thought to write this to be funny. Their all will be pros and cons with is better or the best.

white eagle
03-15-2015, 10:35 AM
1911 nuff said

bigarm
03-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I believe that Glocks are great guns, very reliable, built at a good price point, etc. However, I started with 1911's and still love them. Tried to like Glocks, but just didn't. I think for me the 1911 just fits the hand well, is easy to shoot well and just looks beautiful. I appreciate Glocks, just don't have any or any other "modern" semi-autos, unless you consider the Hi Power modern!

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 03:17 PM
:popcorn: Well this will be fun to watch. Carry on.

DougGuy
03-15-2015, 03:50 PM
1911. WITH A FLAT MAINSPRING HOUSING! This is critical.

When I throw a Glock out to the side at arm's length, shoulder height, then turn my head and see where the sights are, the front sight is up in the treeline! A defensive carry gun should be sights near dead on when you try the aforementioned test. If it ain't, how you gonna hit where your arm points in the dark? You should be able to grip your gun and it's point of impact be an extension of where your forearm is pointed. The Glock, although it is a FINE piece of kit, has the wrong grip angle made into it.

Char-Gar
03-15-2015, 04:05 PM
The original "Army 45" 1911 pistol had a flat mainspring housing. In a few years, the Army found out soldiers tended to shoot low when they pointed the pistol. This fact caused the Colt to develop the arched mainspring housing which was incorporated into the 1911A1 in 1924.

Like the early solders, I have found the flat mainspring housing to cause me to shoot low. The arched housing tilts the muzzle up just enough to get me on target. This is the reason I have arched mainspring housing on all of my 1911 pistols. This must not be true of many people, because the flat housing seems to have legions of fans and the arched housing but a few.

I also find the Glock pistol points well for me. Go figure.....

BrianL
03-15-2015, 04:15 PM
1911. WITH A FLAT MAINSPRING HOUSING! This is critical.

When I throw a Glock out to the side at arm's length, shoulder height, then turn my head and see where the sights are.............

Proper technique is important.............are you rotating the gun to the horizontal position? This is critical.........................:kidding::kidding :

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 06:00 PM
The grip angle comparison always seems to come up. I do not find the grip angle on a 1911 to be ideal. I've always found guns with more rakish grip angles to point naturally for me. I'm not sure what causes one to prefer the 1911 grip over others. I have large hands and I can shoot a 1911 just fine but I find a Glock to point naturally for me.
I will not say that one is better than the other but I will say that people are different and there is probably not a "universal" grip angle.
One of the many guns I've owned over the years was a Remington model 51 (the original version from the 1920's) and that gun was one of the best pointing guns I've ever had. Surprisingly for a gun that was introduced in 1918 just a few years after the 1911 was adopted, it has grip angle much different than the 1911. That gun was a shining example of ergonomic engineering long before anyone knew what that term was!

Despite the 1911's prevalence & prominence, there have been many widely accepted gun designs that do not emulate the grip angle of the 1911. The Luger P-08, Ruger standard, MKII & MKIII pistols, H&K P7 and of course the Glocks; utilize grip angles that are markedly different from the 1911. I don't think those designs were mistakes; the designer simply chose a different path.

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 07:59 PM
In recognition of Love Life creating this thread (and moving the argument away from the Glock v. M&P thread) allow me to stir things up.

John M. Browning was unquestionably one of the greatest firearms designers of all time. His innovations and engineering brilliance continues to influence the world of firearms to this day. Even the Glock pistol that is one half of the subject matter of this thread was influenced by John Browning. The tilting barrel design invented by Browning is used in countless handguns, including the GLOCK!

However, as great as John Browning was, innovation and change continues in the field of firearms. The 1911 is often held up as the pinnacle of combat handguns and I do not agree with that assessment. It may have been the pinnacle at one time.

The 1911 was a great gun when it was introduced and it continues to be a viable tool to this day but it is no longer the best available tool. I'll stop short of saying the Glock is the best tool but its introduction certainly was a watershed moment in gun history. I had a very difficult time warming up to the Glock, in fact it took years before I would even consider one. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid but I did evaluate the Glock. Eventually the simplicity, durability and incredible reliability of the Glock won me over.

I've heard all of the arguments and criticisms concerning the Glock:
It doesn't have a manual safety (nor do my DA revolvers),
The trigger sucks (it's good enough and in fact the guns are quite accurate),
You have to pull the trigger to field strip it (one might consider unloading it first).
The plastic frame is weak (it has proven to be plenty strong and I've yet to see plastic rust!),
The grip angle is wrong (see post #51),
The factory sights are weak (OK, plastic sights were a bad idea),
it's ugly, (you got me there!).

The 1911 is thinner than a Glock (Got me there as well).
The 1911 may be tuned to achieve better accuracy (sometimes and the Glock is accurate enough).
The 1911 is prettier (STOP - I've already conceded that point !).
The 1911 makes a better club when it's empty, which generally occurs sooner with its single stack magazine.
The 1911 has more parts to wear out and break therefore it keeps more gunsmiths off the streets and out of the bars.
The 1911 utilizes a swinging link, not one but two separate lugs on the barrel and a separate fitted barrel bushing to comply with the "Machinist Full Employment Act of 1910".
The amount of time needed to make a 1911 even remotely as reliable as a stock Glock provides hours of "family fun time".
The 1911's manual safety and crisp single action trigger gives the shooter the opportunity to test his or her fine motor skills under moments of extreme stress; a Glock operator is deprived of that wonderful experience.

So outside of aesthetics, the Glock seems to be a great tool. (maybe they could put some pin stripes on it?) They go bang when you want them to and the bullet goes generally where you point it. Now someone will jump in and say their 1911 is more accurate; it probably is - I so don't care.

Then we get to caliber. Whenever people talk about 45ACP the conversation tends to center on the 1911. Fair enough, the "CP" of ACP does stand for Colt Pistol ! However there are other guns that are chambered in 45 ACP (I hear even Glock makes a few!!) and by the way....there are other cartridges! We've beaten that horse to death in countless other threads.

So, 1911 vs. Glock........I have to go with Glock.

theperfessor
03-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Not putting down Glocks, they just never felt right to me. But neither do single action revolvers with traditional plow handle grip frames. Just my hand size and shape. The 1911 and the .45 ACP cartridge were literally designed for each other, and if I wanted to shoot a sub caliber high capacity gun I've got a HiPower. Shoot what you like, I doubt that one is much better or worse than the other at this point in their development.

Char-Gar
03-15-2015, 10:37 PM
The grip angle comparison always seems to come up. I do not find the grip angle on a 1911 to be ideal. I've always found guns with more rakish grip angles to point naturally for me. I'm not sure what causes one to prefer the 1911 grip over others. I have large hands and I can shoot a 1911 just fine but I find a Glock to point naturally for me.
I will not say that one is better than the other but I will say that people are different and there is probably not a "universal" grip angle.
One of the many guns I've owned over the years was a Remington model 51 (the original version from the 1920's) and that gun was one of the best pointing guns I've ever had. Surprisingly for a gun that was introduced in 1918 just a few years after the 1911 was adopted, it has grip angle much different than the 1911. That gun was a shining example of ergonomic engineering long before anyone knew what that term was!

Despite the 1911's prevalence & prominence, there have been many widely accepted gun designs that do not emulate the grip angle of the 1911. The Luger P-08, Ruger standard, MKII & MKIII pistols, H&K P7 and of course the Glocks; utilize grip angles that are markedly different from the 1911. I don't think those designs were mistakes; the designer simply chose a different path.

You had to go and mention the Luger didn't you! IMHO the most easy to point pistol in the world is the Luger. The only draw back is the light weight barrel. With a full bull barrel it would be a daisy in a close fight.l Here is my Luger, a 1913 DWM with all numbers matching and German Imperial Army markings. This was a WWII bring back, that saw service in two World Wars. It was a gift to me by the solider that brought it back.

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 10:54 PM
That's a nice Lugar and a great piece of history.

garym1a2
03-15-2015, 11:44 PM
I had a good 1911, I got rid of it in a trade for a decked out G35, now I have the g21sf, g22 and g30s also. The G22 is the most flexable, the G35 is my USPSA gun. My fav is the g21sf

ole 5 hole group
03-16-2015, 10:49 AM
You are either a 1911 type guy or you're not - no maybe or wantabees - either you are or you're not. I am a 1911 guy.

Love Life
03-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Both are better than a sharp stick.

Finster101
03-16-2015, 12:33 PM
I was issued a 1911 in 1979 and not been without at least one since then. I have never said that Glock's are bad pistols but they are not the right fit for me.

Moonie
03-16-2015, 02:05 PM
I was in the market for a model 30SF when I came across a sweet deal on a compact 1911, couldn't pass it up, thinner than the 30SF as well. Love 1911's, it was my fourth.

1911KY
03-16-2015, 04:19 PM
My first pistol was a G23. I shot it fairly well and did so for a couple years. Once I shot a 1911, I knew I would never purchase another Glock. The 1911 ergonomics were the perfect fit for me and the trigger pull was obviously better.

For my practical purposes, Glock only has the edge in capacity. Everything else goes to the 1911.

If I need capacity then I carry my 10 rd mags as backup...I figure, if it gets to that point, then I really don't care how far they stick out of my gun!!

Having owned one and shot several others in 9 mm and 45, I would feel comfortable using a Glock in any situation but they would not be my first choice.

tygar
03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
I shot my first 1911 Govt in 1959 at 12yo & owned one by 61. I can't say how many I have owned but way over 100, still have 15 or so. I have shot sloppy military guns in USMC as well as match guns there. Have owned numerous match 1911s & all variations you can think of from 3" to 7" barrels. I like the 1911 period!

I have shot numerous Glocks. They shoot fine, are easy to maintain. They also feel bulky, have a bad trigger & don't point naturally like the 1911. Because of the trigger etc. they aren't as accurate.

I just plain don't like them.

The bottom line is, if I'm going into combat, I want my 1911!

Handloader109
03-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Can't speak to 45 caliber, but I've got a g17 and I'll throw in my PPQ, and neither are as good to shoot, nor as good to hold in your hand as my 9mm 1911.

MtGun44
03-17-2015, 03:04 AM
1911 has better ergo, better trigger by a mile, far thinner so easier to conceal, much safer -
check with PDs, their AD rate is up with Glocks. There is no real safety, the trigger
thing is just a drop safe. Typical AD is trigger finger in guard as they reholster or
something catches the trigger as reholstering. Bang. 40 cal guns were blowing
up with factory ammo - saw a letter from the head of DOE security to Glock asking
why so many blowups with .40 Glocks.

If there was no other choice to defend myself, I would use a Glock and know that
it would very likely work (I have seen a few Glock jams) and be reasonably
accurate. Just never going to own one. Grip shape and angle and thickness are
not good and truly hate the trigger by Mattel. More rounds is good, but there are
dbl stack 1911s, but the suffer from the same fat grip issues as the other dbl stacks
other than (perhaps) the Browning HP.

They have been slowly improving the guns, so more power to them, eventually they
may get it right. Apparently the 4th Gen improvements help the .40 blowup issues with
a better chamber shape, and there are other real improvements.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127516&d=1421305697

:bigsmyl2:

freebullet
03-17-2015, 05:53 AM
That's a glock I'd buy lol

NavyVet1959
03-17-2015, 06:35 AM
Where I live, I get the impression that most folks prefer 1911. I do as well. I think the carry laws dictate which gun might be more efficient in certain cases. I've never tried to conceal a Glock, but I have a feeling it would be easier than a 1911. Georgia doesn't mind open carry, so citizens are a bit more flexible in what they choose to carry. Sometimes I think I'd like to have a Glock for my occasional trips to Texas. I just have a hunch that it would be easier to conceal.
Regarding round capacity... I'd feel comfortable with a 5 round 44spl. If 5 rounds cant keep me alive, I'm not sure what 2 more is going to do in most cases. Depending on where I'm going, I might carry extra magazines. But during my normal routine, I'm totally happy with a fullsize M1911 on my hip in condition 1 without extra mags.
BTW, does anyone know what Texas decided to do with their open/conceal carry laws? Seems they wanted to consider going to open carry.

I have conceal carried both Glocks and M1911s. I have a 10+1 round subcompact M1911 that is as easy to conceal as my subcompact Glock (G29) (also 10+1 rounds). The Glock is probably a little lighter since it is plastic and instead of 230 gr bullets, we're talking 175 gr ones -- that's about 1.4 oz there just in the difference in the weight of lead. Looking it up, my subcompact M1911 is 31 oz whereas the G29 is 24.7 oz. So, once you factor ammo into it, there's perhaps a half pound difference. Maybe some people notice it, but I don't.

Even the crappiest M1911 factory trigger is still better than the Glock trigger. All that plastic and stamped metal just doesn't result in a nice crisp feel to the Glock.

There are a couple of companies that are producing M1911s in the Glock price range (and even below it) and they have had good reviews. I have two RIA M1911s (10mm and Officer's Model .45) and they are a lot more accurate than my old eyes.

It's been said that M1911s are for open carry and Glocks are for concealed carry -- because Glocks are just so butt-ugly that you don't actually want to be *seen* carrying one.

Hopefully the Texas legislature will give us open carry this session and the leftists will not have been able to put any unacceptable baggage to it.

I bought the G29 because I wanted something in 10mm and did not want to spend the money on a Colt Delta Elite. I liked the round well enough that when a G20 showed up on Armslist, I bought it as a backup hog gun. Later, a good deal on a G21 came up on Armslist and I bought it and converted it to .45 SUPER +P+ as yet another possible backup hog gun. It the Glocks get scratched up while I'm out hunting, I'm not going to care that much. Glocks are kind of like that beater watch that you wear when you are working on your car whereas M1911s are like the Rolex dress watch that you wear when you have a special occasion.

In a hundred years, my M1911s will still be around, but I doubt that the plastic on the Glocks will be in that great of a shape by that time.

DR Owl Creek
03-17-2015, 12:01 PM
1911. WITH A FLAT MAINSPRING HOUSING! This is critical. ...

What fits one person well, may not fit another very well. I think the main reason for the flat main spring housing is to accommodate people with smaller hands. I replace all the flat main spring housings on my 1911's with arched main spring housings. If I'm not planning on carrying that particular gun much, I'll probably also go with a Smith & Alexander arched main spring housing with the integral mag well too. For me, a long trigger makes the 1911 fit my hand even better yet.

As far as the 1911 vs. the Glock question, I've tried to like Glocks, but just could never warm up to them. I even bought a Glock M21 and a M30, and shot them for awhile. Several years ago, I ran some load tests using Hornady 230gr XTP's and Longshot powder in three of my Kimber 1911's, two of my Para Ordnance double stack 1911's, and a Glock. I worked up the loads for each gun from the starting loads to the maximum loads, and shot them from a rest on a bench at 25 yards. The Glock, while not really shooting badly, was the least accurate of the six guns. Between the looks, the feel, and the overall accuracy compared to the 1911's, I finally got rid of both of them. I don't plan on buying another.

Dave

BD
03-17-2015, 09:00 PM
What's a Glock?

500MAG
03-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Nearly 30 years ago I gave my then fiancé an engagement ring and she gave me a Colt 1911, knew she was a keeper. Like Luckydawg said, can't see myself passing on a plastic gun to my grandkid, when I have one.

garym1a2
03-17-2015, 09:50 PM
World's finest line of handguns

What's a Glock?

FLINTNFIRE
03-18-2015, 04:27 AM
So I read this and I compare 1911 to glock , as I shoot I do not see much difference , but have shot everything I could whenever I could , comparing them , well I like them both and blackhawks and s&w and colt high powers and black powder revolvers and they all seem to fit my hand and have a trigger that seems to be better then what everyone describes , so shoot what feels right , shoot what functions with your loads , and enjoy , going shooting today , been loading off and on all day , casting for 40 and 9 tonight , if you have a 1911a1 and a glock line the barrels up compare grips mine are about the same...

6bg6ga
03-18-2015, 06:38 AM
Seventy one posts on Glock's vers 1911's and then we brought in the size of women's butts and breasts. I vote for ...

NavyVet1959
03-18-2015, 09:00 AM
Seventy one posts on Glock's vers 1911's and then we brought in the size of women's butts and breasts. I vote for ...

"All internet topics morph into topics about either sex, politics, or firearms" -- unknown

Since we started out about firearms, that only left two choices...

robertbank
03-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Neither I vote M&P

+2

Bob

MtGun44
03-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Grip angles on Glocks are VERY different than 1911 grip angle, one of
my main problems with Glocks, besides the hideous triggers.

When I pull up a Glock, I am looking at the top of the slide, it is about
5-10 degrees up with my normal grip, which is from years of 1911 shooting,
so doesn't match the Glock grip angle. If you like them, they usually do work,
and are fairly low priced.

FLINTNFIRE
03-20-2015, 03:43 AM
I seem to point to same point of aim , have been shooting 1911 and 1911a1 a lot longer , and laying my glock on top of my 1911a1 angle is pretty close , shoot what you want , practice with what you shoot , shoot more , I do not really care what the shape of the grip is as they put the hump on the 1911a1 to raise the point of aim , to me they are all tools , do not buy or own to look at or for showing what model of the highest price I own , they are for shooting , 1911 , 1911a1 , browning high power , glock , ruger, smith and wesson , colt , single action , double action , semi automatic , have owned and shot , preference is blackhawk 45 .

freebullet
03-20-2015, 08:06 AM
I dropped my glock off the dock it landed on a rock and split the plastic stock.

Virginia John
03-20-2015, 08:19 AM
I own both and shoot both but the 1911 is my favorite. That is just my personal opinion. Both are excellent firearms and both are quite different in their design and functionality. I do not think you can really compare them merely pick which you favor.

Petrol & Powder
03-20-2015, 09:14 AM
I dropped my glock off the dock it landed on a rock and split the plastic stock.
How high was the dock?
You think if you had dropped an all steel 1911 it would have survived in pristine shooting condition?

Animal
03-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Thinking forward - If a handgun can float, I think Glock will get us there. Gator hunters will buy those guns left and right.

NavyVet1959
03-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Thinking forward - If a handgun can float, I think Glock will get us there. Gator hunters will buy those guns left and right.

Just get a gun with a lanyard hole and then attach a float to it like they do with boat keys. As long as the gun weighs less than around 64 oz, a 2-liter soda bottle acting as a float will keep it from sinking to the bottom. The buoyancy that an object provides is basically equal the to water that it displaces minus its weight. An empty soda bottle basically weighs nothing and figuring roughly "a pint equals a pound", a 32 oz soda bottle would provide enough buoyancy to keep many handguns from sinking to the bottom (although not a fully loaded Glock 21 or M1911).

On the other hand, you could just attach the lanyard to yourself... :)

Clay M
03-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Neither I vote M&P

I happen to like M&P better as well..
I have been a 1911 fan most of my life..
but for a serious personal defense gun I like the regular size M&P .40 S&W..
For shooting and having fun it is still a 1911, and my new favorite is the Ruger Commander

The M&P .22 LR is nothing short of amazing..
I gave my son the one I had for a Christmas present, but will no doubt buy myself another one later this year.

Bigslug
03-21-2015, 01:14 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127516&d=1421305697

That is funny, but I've often lamented that all the 1911 REALLY needs to be truly indestructible is to have the finish of a Glock applied to it. Since we're getting to the point where the need to individually fit parts like thumb and grip safeties in the manufacturing process is no longer necessary, why not just fit the whole gun to combat tolerances, Tennifer-coat the whole thing and call it done? Those that need to tinker and change stuff can buy something else.

The whole grip angle thing. . .I'm with Char-Gar - the 1911 is happiest with a short WWII trigger and an arched WWII mainspring housing, which pretty much makes it identical to a Glock. One could say that Gaston copied the "improved" 1911 in this regard.

Having played with both considerably on the maintenance angle. . .The Glock is probably more likely to KEEP running to some degree with worn or broken stuff in it. This is good because in the .40's and .357's at least, it is more likely to HAVE worn or broken stuff in it. The real apples-to-apples "Pepsi Challenge", as I see it, would be between a 9mm G17 and one of the new production Colt .45's.

I note that there aren't many championing the ultra-pudgy .45 G21 over the 1911. . .I DO wish the Austrians would get around to giving us a full-size single stack. . .

Love Life
03-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Glock 21 is huge. You gots' ta' have big pants to pack that thing around concealed...oh, and a larg shirt.

I carry one (Glock 21 Gen4) in the winter in Mernickle High ride, belt, mag set up. I wear a carhart vest and a hoodie (no skittles or tea). The Commander or Gubmint gets the nod for summer along with Mr. Snubs.

Petrol & Powder
03-21-2015, 02:17 PM
If we're going to talk about improving John Browning's allegedly perfect pistol by applying Tennifer we should consider something along the lines of Robar's NP3 finish. While we're at it, we could make other small improvements like: a frame made from something that is lightweight, tough, requires no machining and is totally rust proof...... maybe we could incorporate a double stack magazine, a simplified barrel locking system and some type of very simple lockwork that is completely safe and doesn't require manipulation of a manual safety but is automatically safe when the trigger is released......... Wouldn't that be an awesome combat pistol :bigsmyl2: ?

And you know what would be really cool? If we could make that pistol for a fraction of the cost of an old style 1911!

I wonder how we could accomplish that?

Clay M
03-21-2015, 02:52 PM
My son is the Glock aficionado. He carrys a 19.
I have shot all his Glocks and personally like the Gen 4 Glock 21 best, or at least I could shoot it the best..

seaboltm
03-21-2015, 03:17 PM
I was allowed to carry anything I wanted on duty (LEO). I own a Beretta 92FS, 1911's, Hi-Powers, a CZ 75, and a variety of Glocks. I chose the Glock 22 and would again today.

Bigslug
03-21-2015, 11:08 PM
If we're going to talk about improving John Browning's allegedly perfect pistol by applying Tennifer we should consider something along the lines of Robar's NP3 finish. While we're at it, we could make other small improvements like: a frame made from something that is lightweight, tough, requires no machining and is totally rust proof...... maybe we could incorporate a double stack magazine, a simplified barrel locking system and some type of very simple lockwork that is completely safe and doesn't require manipulation of a manual safety but is automatically safe when the trigger is released......... Wouldn't that be an awesome combat pistol :bigsmyl2: ?

And you know what would be really cool? If we could make that pistol for a fraction of the cost of an old style 1911!

I wonder how we could accomplish that?

One could argue that the modern approach makes the 1911 "better".

One could also argue that all they've done is make it "cheaper".

The 1911 was built with the mindset of "We have money to make these NOW, but might not in the future, so we have to make them to last, and we have to make them so they can be rebuilt and stay in service. These links and bushings allow us to do that." The end result was that in 1985, we had a couple million 40-years-and-older pistols that got retired largely because of political reasons. . . and the Marine Recon boys kept them chugging all the same.

A lot of what's out there today subscribes to the logic of "Let's buy from the low bidder, because in ten years, we'll buy new ones"

There's good fiscal logic to both approaches. Which is better for the guy on the sharp end often depends greatly on how the accountants choose to behave.

robertbank
03-22-2015, 12:28 AM

Should have dropped it out of a helicopter according to their ads it would have survived the fall.:bigsmyl2:

Bob

Petrol & Powder
03-23-2015, 07:47 AM
I should have used the sarcasm font.

garym1a2
03-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Glock21SF Gen 3 is the best Glock in their line. Supper Accurate, reliable and holds 14 rnds of 45ACP plus it shoots cast bullets all day long..
That is funny, but I've often lamented that all the 1911 REALLY needs to be truly indestructible is to have the finish of a Glock applied to it. Since we're getting to the point where the need to individually fit parts like thumb and grip safeties in the manufacturing process is no longer necessary, why not just fit the whole gun to combat tolerances, Tennifer-coat the whole thing and call it done? Those that need to tinker and change stuff can buy something else.

The whole grip angle thing. . .I'm with Char-Gar - the 1911 is happiest with a short WWII trigger and an arched WWII mainspring housing, which pretty much makes it identical to a Glock. One could say that Gaston copied the "improved" 1911 in this regard.

Having played with both considerably on the maintenance angle. . .The Glock is probably more likely to KEEP running to some degree with worn or broken stuff in it. This is good because in the .40's and .357's at least, it is more likely to HAVE worn or broken stuff in it. The real apples-to-apples "Pepsi Challenge", as I see it, would be between a 9mm G17 and one of the new production Colt .45's.

I note that there aren't many championing the ultra-pudgy .45 G21 over the 1911. . .I DO wish the Austrians would get around to giving us a full-size single stack. . .

NavyVet1959
03-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Glock21SF Gen 3 is the best Glock in their line. Supper Accurate, reliable and holds 14 rnds of 45ACP plus it shoots cast bullets all day long..

Don't know about the SF portion of it -- I don't need a smaller grip on a Glock. But the Glock 21 does have some uses...

https://e3aaceb9-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/navyvet1959/miscellaneous/glock-handguns/glock-21-45-super-+p+-320.jpg

But I still prefer shooting a M1911. :)

FergusonTO35
03-23-2015, 10:54 AM
If I was to get a .45 you bet it would be a 1911. Probably a new Remington, there is just something so right about big green making 1911's, just like it is so wrong that they make Marlins. :-P

That being said my Glock 19 and 26 do everything I need a bottom feeder to do, 'specially with boolits. Planning to add a Glock 42 to join them.

MtGun44
03-23-2015, 07:54 PM
No doubt the application of ferric nitrocarburizing (which is the industrial generic name for the
finish which Tenifer is a particular commercial version of) to a 1911 by a major maker would
be a HUGE step forward in wear resistance and corrosion resistance. I am unsure why there
has not been any of the folks like Kimber, Springfield, etc. offering at least one model as
their "Weatherbeater" or some other catchy name.

Hmm. Some research shows that Melonite (another version of the same process) is used
by Kimber, at least on some guns. Maybe that is why my old Kimber Classic Custom has
shown so little wear over the years. So maybe some of the makers are already there, just
not publicizing it very well.

Will work on any gun, S&W should do it to their "blued" revolvers, too.

This is basically a kind of case hardening which, besides making the surface very hard, makes
it very corrosion resistant. No way that is bad for a gun.

Petrol & Powder
03-23-2015, 08:48 PM
MtGun44, did you just say something positive about a Glock :shock: ? Like the Tennifer process used by Glock should be copied by other makes, maybe even, dare I say........on a 1911 ! :bigsmyl2:

Bullwolf
03-24-2015, 03:37 AM
Well, this kind of thing wouldn't have happened to a 1911.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/presto_z/IMAG1097.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/presto_z/IMAG1100.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/presto_z/IMAG1102.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/presto_z/IMAG1108.jpg

This one was quite popular on the web a while ago.

Supposedly the owner of the Glock had a pit bull that somehow managed to get hold of the pistol. A few inexpensive chew toys would have been cheaper in the long run.

Wasn't a total loss though.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/presto_z/IMAG1128-2.jpg

Chop the bottom off of the pistol, and now it takes G26 magazines.

Compact crafted by canine.

- Bullwolf

NavyVet1959
03-24-2015, 04:34 AM
Well, this kind of thing wouldn't have happened to a 1911.

Yeah, if the dog had chewed on the M1911 that way, at *worse* you would have had buy a new set of grips. In all likelihood though, when his teeth hit the metal, he would have given up on the endeavor before doing much damage to the grips. Definitely not as much damage as he did to the Glock.

texaswoodworker
03-24-2015, 05:30 AM
It's purely personal preference. One is not better than the other. Both are extremely reliable, both are well made, and both will do just about anything you need them to.

Personally, I prefer the 1911. The Glock's trigger, grip, and looks never appealed to me.

Love Life
03-24-2015, 08:46 AM
It's purely personal preference. One is not better than the other. Both are extremely reliable, both are well made, and both will do just about anything you need them to.

Personally, I prefer the 1911. The Glock's trigger, grip, and looks never appealed to me.

I agree. My 1911's have been as reliable as my Glocks and vice versa. It's called weapons maintenance dontcha' know.

The bad 1911 and bad Glock I had both sucked equally.

As for coating, it's moot for me as I practice regular weapons maintenance. All of my guns show wear form being carried, drawn, and fired.

FergusonTO35
03-24-2015, 08:56 AM
When I saw that chewed up 19 I first thought it was one of the ex-LE Glocks that shops here want $400.00 for! There are usually a fair number of custom Glocks gone wrong for sale on GB.

Love Life
03-24-2015, 09:04 AM
When I saw that chewed up 19 I first thought it was one of the ex-LE Glocks that shops here want $400.00 for! There are usually a fair number of custom Glocks gone wrong for sale on GB.

True!! Some look like somebody bought a wood burner at Wal-Mart, turned it on, placed it over the grip of their Glock...and had a seizure.

FergusonTO35
03-24-2015, 09:44 AM
The biggest thing that has made me a Glock fanboy is the timelessness of the design and the fact that Glock happily sells all the parts for them other than slides and frames. Think about it, if you have one of the very first ones from the early 80's you can get one Midway's website (or thousands of others) and buy everything you need to make it like new, even a new barrel. Can't do that with an autoloader from Ruger or S&W, in the time since the Glock 17 first came out most firms have introduced and discontinued one or more entire pistol product lines. As much as I like some of the guns which have been introduced recently I think they will just wither away as trends change. I was sorely tempted to buy a Ruger LC9S when I first examined one. Sweet trigger pull, perfect size, and great price. But I don't feel like doing post-sale quality assurance for them, my shooting time is too short as it is. Besides, even if I love the gun whose to say they won't discontinue it five years from now?

Also, when a pistol has been in production for more than 30 years with so few changes you know the maker has had more time to "perfect" the materials and production than others, no pun intended. The hiccups Glock has gone through (recoil springs, extractors, ejectors) have been pretty minor and based on the design of parts that are cheap and easily replaced. The aftermarket has so embraced Glock pistols that you can build one any way you like, even put one together with no factory parts whatsoever. My 19 and 26 have some aftermarket mods to correct some things I don't like about their original form.

I don't think any gun is "perfection" but Gaston & Co. have done a very good job, and they have remained faithful to the original gun instead of chasing every fickle trend that comes along. I think the 19 and 26 compliment other timeless designs in my collection such as my Marlin lever actions, Ruger Single Six, and medium frame .38 Special revolvers. Hmm, kind of sounds like the legacy of the 1911, huh?

texaswoodworker
03-24-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't think any gun is "perfection" but Gaston & Co. have done a very good job, and they have remained faithful to the original gun instead of chasing every fickle trend that comes along. I think the 19 and 26 compliment other timeless designs in my collection such as my Marlin lever actions, Ruger Single Six, and medium frame .38 Special revolvers. Hmm, kind of sounds like the legacy of the 1911, huh?

Honestly, I cannot picture someone drooling over an old Glock 100 years from now like they do an older Marlin lever action or an early 1911. They are good guns, but they just don't have that... I'm not really sure what you'd call it. Soul? The Glock is a very well made gun that just plain works, but it's more of a utilitarian tool. I don't know. Maybe people will. Who knows?

robertbank
03-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Since the Glock 17 came out it has gone through 4 iterations and while the internals are the same the barrel and frame have been changed (Barrel 3x, Frame 4X). The Model number has remained the same. The materials have not changed and I suspect not much of the manufacturing line either.

The gun is no more reliable than any other currently manufactured firearm and far easier to limp wrist then a good number I can think of.

The current Gen 4 Glock 17 is not the Gen 1 version and for good reason.

Take Care

Bob

Love Life
03-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Limp wristing is for sissies. I limp wristed once, and I am ashamed.

texaswoodworker
03-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Limp wristing is for sissies. I limp wristed once, and I am ashamed.

As you should be. :P

NavyVet1959
03-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I cannot picture someone drooling over an old Glock 100 years from now like they do an older Marlin lever action or an early 1911. They are good guns, but they just don't have that... I'm not really sure what you'd call it. Soul? The Glock is a very well made gun that just plain works, but it's more of a utilitarian tool. I don't know. Maybe people will. Who knows?

I don't think they will. Old tuperware is not collectable.

lefty o
03-24-2015, 05:27 PM
im sure 100yrs ago, old crotchety fools were making fun of the 1911.

robertbank
03-24-2015, 05:30 PM

I am pretty sure they were not throwing them out of helicopters to demonstrate how reliable they were.

Take Care

Bob

FergusonTO35
03-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Don't know why my previous post has two different font sizes. For the record my fave handgun of all is the Browning Hi-Power. Now that is truly droolworthy!!

Love Life
03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
I am pretty sure they were not throwing them out of helicopters to demonstrate how reliable they were.

Take Care

Bob

I'm pretty sure helicopters weren't invented yet.

texaswoodworker
03-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Take Care

Bob

LMAO!!!! :D

I'm pretty sure helicopters weren't invented yet.

How about Twinkies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjEXfDV8Z7U

apen
03-24-2015, 06:58 PM
I shoot bullseye so 1911 for me.....never saw a glock at a match.

Petrol & Powder
03-24-2015, 08:15 PM

YES- someone finally went there!!! Thank You.

HeavyMetal
03-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Glock's suck, Period!

not fond of the design, not fond of the construction materials and, last time I checked, ( 10 years ago?) Glock had 80% of the Law Enforcement market and 75% of the Accidental Discharge Lawsuits.

Given one I would swap it for something more useful by days end or sell it outright so the proceeds could go to purchase a gun made of real materials, not plastic.

There are no plastic guns in my stable, my AK does have a Plastic stock, and my Taurus PT 99 has an aluminum frame, everything else is steel and will stay that way

I've always had a 1911 of one brand or another in hand, many have been sold or traded off but at least one remains at any time. Currently have Three.

I don't have to worry about my 1911 blowing up because I shot lead in it and I don't have to completely rebuild it every time I want to shoot lead in it.

The Glock was / is aimed at an army of purchasing agents trying to buy skill level in an armed force they would rather not pay to be trained. The Glock is easy to shoot and fulfills the role it was designed for: the easiest, cheapest training possible for the most people for the least amount of money.

The surprise is what it's costing them in lawsuits.

You can have your Glocks if you want them, I won't stand in your way.

For those who claim the mag capacity as a "bonus" here's a tip for ya come range time: Magazine capacity is not a subsitute for marksmenship!

Love Life
03-25-2015, 07:54 AM
A double face palm worth of fail.

garym1a2
03-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Don't believe all other makes are as reliable as Glocks, many compaines make dogs.
Since the Glock 17 came out it has gone through 4 iterations and while the internals are the same the barrel and frame have been changed (Barrel 3x, Frame 4X). The Model number has remained the same. The materials have not changed and I suspect not much of the manufacturing line either.

The gun is no more reliable than any other currently manufactured firearm and far easier to limp wrist then a good number I can think of.

The current Gen 4 Glock 17 is not the Gen 1 version and for good reason.

Take Care

Bob

Petrol & Powder
03-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Glock's suck, Period!

not fond of the design, not fond of the construction materials and, last time I checked, ( 10 years ago?) Glock had 80% of the Law Enforcement market and 75% of the Accidental Discharge Lawsuits.

Given one I would swap it for something more useful by days end or sell it outright so the proceeds could go to purchase a gun made of real materials, not plastic...........

"Glock's suck, period !" - OK, you're entitled to your opinion, don't buy one, problem solved.

80% of the L.E. market and 75% of the lawsuits. - Well the shear numbers kind of speak for themselves. It is reasonable to assume that if 80% of the market is dominated by a particular brand then a corresponding percentage of the issues related to that item would exist. That's like saying 80% of the vehicles used by law enforcement are Fords and 80% of the L.E. crashes involve Fords........well duh ! That doesn't mean the vehicle is faulty, it just means there is a predictable correlation of incidents based on the large dominance of one type in the group. And by the way, if there are 800,000 pistols [I totally made that number up] in use for 30 years and 4 lawsuits over that time, 3 of which involved Glocks - THAT WOULD STILL BE 75% OF THE LAWSUITS.
Using percentages to contrast total numbers is a classic method to slant statistics! 98 % of the people living in Japan are of Japanese decent and 99.9 % of their mass murderers are Japanese! Now Japan doesn't have a lot of mass murderers but 99.9% sounds bad :roll:

".........a gun made of real materials, not plastic" - Plastic is a real material. I guess if we remained in the Victorian era we could try to make airplanes out of cast iron and that new fangled alloy, "brass".......:shock:

I guess the easiest thing for you to do is keep shooting what you like. By the way, congratulation on your acceptance of the internet, this would be much more difficult by telegram!

texaswoodworker
03-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Don't believe all other makes are as reliable as Glocks, many compaines make dogs.

Most guns are just as reliable. Those bad ones are few and far between. The S&W M&P, the Springfield XD, even the cheaper S&W Sigma SD9 VE (which is basically a Glock with a better grip and a nicer price) are all just as reliable as a typical Glock. My 1911 goes bang every time without fail. The old S&W SW40VE I used to have never failed to go bang either.

FergusonTO35
03-25-2015, 11:09 AM
Glock Twinkie test: pure awesomeness!!

Glock's monopolistic practices notwithstanding, Glock is a good choice for LE and military because they are super simple to operate and can tolerate abuse and a complete lack of care. This is why double action wheel guns were the number one choice of LE until Glock made it's conquest complete in the 90's.

I worked for an LE agency for six years. Most of the coppers were not "gun people" and their pistols only left the holster for qualification (which was not particularly difficult). Some of these folks, in spite of other virtues, I would not trust with a water pistol let alone a real firearm. One longtime cop told me that at least one AD occurred in every station he was assigned to while he was on shift. For these folks maybe they should be given something with California style training wheels, i.e., heavy trigger pull, manual safety, mag out safety, giant loaded chamber indicator, limited capacity magazine. Or, if they have an AD or other hazardous event due to their own carelessness maybe they don't get to carry a gun, or it stays in the patrol car.

robertbank
03-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Don't believe all other makes are as reliable as Glocks, many companies make dogs.

Yes including Glocks. I have seen extractors break at matches, jams due to limp wristing while shooting around weak side barriers by shooters at matches. Anything mechanical can fail. The Gen 1 version of the Glock 17 had a weak FLDC. Hang a light on it and the frame would tend to bend down. The Gen 3 and 4 frames strengthened this area. The guns are inexpensive pistols initially designed for the military and police. From my eyes the biggest advantage the Glock and M&P pistols enjoy over steel guns is they weigh less and for those who have to carry them day in and day out this is a huge advantage. That and their cost to the taxpayer would make the guns a winner. They are combat accurate which is all they are designed to be or need to be. The 1911 was a great pistol in it's day but brings nothing to the table today that is not met and exceeded by the polymer guns for both military and police applications.

IMHO the S&W M&P took the design to a new level and for most a better buy than the Glock now. The gun uses a grip angle more akin to the 1911 vs the Glock's angle which is closer to the Luger's. Too, it comes with three very comfortable grip panels and for departments who hire from the general population having a gun that can be shot by people with large and small hands in yet another selling point for the M&P.

Take Care

Bob

garym1a2
03-25-2015, 11:32 AM
You see more feed issues in M&P's than Glocks. My Glock 22 I had over 10K rounds thru it before my first misfeed, around 12K rounds before a failure (trigger return spring).

Most failures I see at USPSA matches tend to be versions of the 1911!

Yes including Glocks. I have seen extractors break at matches, jams due to limp wristing while shooting around weak side barriers by shooters at matches. Anything mechanical can fail. The Gen 1 version of the Glock 17 had a weak FLDC. Hang a light on it and the frame would tend to bend down. The Gen 3 and 4 frames strengthened this area. The guns are inexpensive pistols initially designed for the military and police. From my eyes the biggest advantage the Glock and M&P pistols enjoy over steel guns is they weigh less and for those who have to carry them day in and day out this is a huge advantage. That and their cost to the taxpayer would make the guns a winner. They are combat accurate which is all they are designed to be or need to be. The 1911 was a great pistol in it's day but brings nothing to the table today that is not met and exceeded by the polymer guns for both military and police applications.

IMHO the S&W M&P took the design to a new level and for most a better buy than the Glock now. The gun uses a grip angle more akin to the 1911 vs the Glock's angle which is closer to the Luger's. Too, it comes with three very comfortable grip panels and for departments who hire from the general population having a gun that can be shot by people with large and small hands in yet another selling point for the M&P.

Take Care

Bob

texaswoodworker
03-25-2015, 12:12 PM
You see more feed issues in M&P's than Glocks. My Glock 22 I had over 10K rounds thru it before my first misfeed, around 12K rounds before a failure (trigger return spring).

Most failures I see at USPSA matches tend to be versions of the 1911!

And I've seen more than a few Glocks choke too. "Glock perfection" is a myth.

Love Life
03-25-2015, 12:17 PM
My Glock 41 was a straight up dud right out of the box. Not even worth anything as a paperweight because it would freak out office workers. All brands produce duds.

Larry Gibson
03-25-2015, 12:43 PM
I always favored Glocks for "throw downs"...........:shock:

Larry Gibson

garym1a2
03-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Try a 17/19/20/21/22/23/26/34/35 they all work quite well. At least they won't become a safe queen like the $1200 1911.

My Glock 41 was a straight up dud right out of the box. Not even worth anything as a paperweight because it would freak out office workers. All brands produce duds.

texaswoodworker
03-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Try a 17/19/20/21/22/23/26/34/35 they all work quite well. At least they won't become a safe queen like the $1200 1911.
You know you can get EXTREMELY reliable 1911s for less than a glock don't you?

DR Owl Creek
03-25-2015, 01:23 PM

Somebody once said "even fat, ugly chicks need luvin' too".

Dave

palmettosunshine
03-25-2015, 02:03 PM
First gun I ever bought for myself was an Auto Ordnance (Thompson) 1911. Biggest piece of **** I ever owned. At least I could brain my enemy with it when it failed! It went away and somewhere down the line I acquired a Glock 30SF with factory night sights. I really liked it. I could hit what I aimed at and it felt good in my hand. Good, not great. After trying, and failing, to find a way to CC the damn thing I sold it to a co-worker that had the Glock bug bad.
Next up was a NIBX Glock 19, gen 3. Holy cow could I shoot lights out with that one. At 7 yards, it was one ragged hole, straight out of the box. At one point the range officer said "Now you're just showing off". Again, couldn't find a convenient and comfortable way to CC the darn thing so it went away.

Then there was an ATI Enhanced commander 1911. Liked it, shot it ok, but it just really didn't do anything for me. What I needed was a S&W Scandium framed E series 1911. Drooled over them, had them as the wallpaper on my phone and computer and spent countless hours scouring the internet for more stories about them. Walked in the LGS one day and happened to mention to my local enabler that I was looking for one. The two tone, not the all black. Of course he reaches under the counter and pulls out an all black one. The ATI got traded on the spot. For the next six months I tried every known method to man to Conceal Carry that rascal. Gave up on it the day I threw my back out leaning over a desk with it in a King Tuk at 4 o'clock.

Traded it for a Glock 23 and couldn't be happier. It just feels right in my hand. One Ghost connector later and after discovering AIWB with the Glock (in a holster) it's my go everywhere gun. Yes, I tried AIWB with the 1911's but they never felt right. I learned a long time ago that my troubled back won't accommodate any weight on my belt, either IWB or OWB at the 3-6 o'clock position.

But that's not the end of the story. Feeling like I was cheating on the 1911 and that maybe I hadn't given it a fair chance, I bought ANOTHER ATI, GIFXE Commander. Bud's had them on a stupid deal on a closeout and I couldn't resist. Got it home, cleaned it, lubed it, shot it and....nothing. Just wasn't there. So there's my story. I tried hard to love the 1911 and still think they are a MUCH better looking pistol but they just don't work for me as well as the Glock. Pick what you like and go with it!

garym1a2
03-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Can you name one good made in the USA 1911 for less than $500?

Love Life
03-25-2015, 04:21 PM

Been there, done that, didn't get a T-shirt, but I got a hat.

As a stated in a post on page 1, I've owned numerous Glocks and Numerous 1911's. I've had one dud Glock, and 1 dud 1911. The 1911 was a Springfield.

To be honest, my 1911's have been every bit as reliable as my Glocks. All it takes is a smidgen of weapons maintenance.

No safe queen here. The wobbley Clapp, or Wiley Crapp gets carried often. Even with the loose slide to frame fit and stiff thumb safety. I believe I will send it back to Colt to fix the issues that shouldn't be on a gun in this price bracket.

robertbank
03-25-2015, 08:01 PM

I have a Chinese made Norinco 1911 that has been with me for about 12 years now. Feeds everything I put in the magazine, has never failed to go bang when I asked it to and cost $349Cdn. The new ones may not be as good as the older ones. I own three Norcs. Two have been dressed up with decent sights and benefit from extensive cleaning up for competition while the other looks like one JMB made back in the day. Terrible small sights but for hitting anything resembling a threat they work. Ego has led me to several other makes and models but none of them shoot any better than that old Norinco. Others do jobs better as in playing IDPA and IPSC but then neither of those two sports were around back in the day.

Take Care

Bob

texaswoodworker
03-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Can you name one good made in the USA 1911 for less than $500?

Remington 1911R1, Made in New York.

$544.99, BUT has a $75 rebate making it... $469.99 It's the gun I use, and it functions flawlessly. One of my friends have the more tricked out model, and it functions flawlessly. A fellow I used to know who knew more about 1911s than anyone save JMB, and was a big Colt fan got a Remington for his collection, and it function flawlessly. He liked it quite a bit.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-1911-r1-45acp-5-blue-sa-wd-grips-2-7rd.html#.VRNWrOElnVI

Where's my prize?

BTW, I was actually referring to the RIAs. Just because they are not made in America doesn't make them any less of a good gun.

texaswoodworker
03-25-2015, 08:53 PM
I have a Chinese made Norinco 1911 that has been with me for about 12 years now. Feeds everything I put in the magazine, has never failed to go bang when I asked it to and cost $349Cdn. The new ones may not be as good as the older ones. I own three Norcs. Two have been dressed up with decent sights and benefit from extensive cleaning up for competition while the other looks like one JMB made back in the day. Terrible small sights but for hitting anything resembling a threat they work. Ego has led me to several other makes and models but none of them shoot any better than that old Norinco. Others do jobs better as in playing IDPA and IPSC but then neither of those two sports were around back in the day.

Take Care

Bob

Nowadays, I think you'd have a hard time finding a 1911 that didn't work great. Even the cheap RIAs work just as well as the $1000 Colts. The fit and finish is just not quite as good. I'd like one of those in 38 Super.

NavyVet1959
03-26-2015, 06:03 AM
Nowadays, I think you'd have a hard time finding a 1911 that didn't work great. Even the cheap RIAs work just as well as the $1000 Colts. The fit and finish is just not quite as good. I'd like one of those in 38 Super.

Having had an RIA in 10mm disassemble itself in my hand when I accidentally loaded it with Alliant Promo instead of Longshot and all it took to fix it was to reinstall the grips and reassemble the mag, I can definitely say that they are well built. Quickload calculated that my mistake generated somewhere around 167K psi.

texaswoodworker
03-26-2015, 06:25 AM
Having had an RIA in 10mm disassemble itself in my hand when I accidentally loaded it with Alliant Promo instead of Longshot and all it took to fix it was to reinstall the grips and reassemble the mag, I can definitely say that they are well built. Quickload calculated that my mistake generated somewhere around 167K psi.

HOLY COW! I'm glad your ok. Who ever said cast frames aren't tough didn't know what they were talking about.How's the 10mm holding up to use? I've though about one of them too, but have heard about issues with 10mm beating the heck out of old Colt 1911s.

garym1a2
03-26-2015, 08:11 AM
If you want a good strong 10mm look into the Glock20!

texaswoodworker
03-26-2015, 08:43 AM

I prefer the 1911 platform. A Glock just doesn't fit my hand right, and I hate the trigger on most striker fire guns.

NavyVet1959
03-26-2015, 09:32 AM

I have one of those also. For shooting, I prefer the feel and trigger of a 1911 though.

robertbank
03-26-2015, 09:51 AM

10.2 gr of 231 did the same thing with my Norinco. I don't own Quickoad but I would assume I was close to the same pressure. Broke my grips, burned off the the first four rounds in the magazine, none of which fired incidentally and gave me a souvenir in the form of a blown out case for my reloading bench. I keep it as a reminder. The Norincos are made from very tough forged steel frames and slides.

Taje Care

Bob

charlie b
03-26-2015, 10:56 AM
OK, so I am one of the 1911 guys. Started shooting them cause my dad still had his, which his dad bought after WWI. Stock form (ok so the flat mainspring was replaced with arched and rear sight was replaced with the wider notch, in 1930's).

Firing std ball ammo it NEVER malfunctioned. Only when I loaded it with SWC's did I find I had to be careful about bullet selection.

Later I had a custom tuned 1911 that shot way better than I did (best group was less than 1" at 25yds). But, if it got dirty it would start to stovepipe (several hundred rounds worth of dirty).

So, today, my wife has a REALLY nice light commander that is a joy to shoot, and likes ball ammot too.

When I wanted another pistol I tried them all. I tried to like the Glock. It just doesn't feel right in my hand. The M&P was another interesting one. It seemed to fit the hand OK, but, when I shot it, it didn't feel right. I could not pinpoint what it was either. Wierd. And I fired three different ones. I ended up with a Springfield XD, full size. That one I like a lot. Fits me. No, it is not for concealed carry so it has the big magazine and longer barrel.

So, between the 1911 and Glock, I choose the 1911. Wife chooses it too, but, she insists on a Colt as well. Yes, she can be a snob :)

1911KY
03-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Dan Wesson offers their Duty Treat aka Hard Hat aka Melonite aka Tenifer aka Ferritic Nitrocarburizing finish on most of their models. They are all series 70 guns and come with all the features a 1911 should.

The 2 on the left are all steel pistols while the one on the right has an anodized aluminum frame.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/trio2_zpsakgdbkzv.jpg

HeavyMetal
03-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Petrol & Powder:
The OP asked for an opinion and I provided mine.

If you prefer Glocks that is your right, note that I am not stepping on that right as it wouldn't be polite.

My Opinion is mine and was not an attempt to change anyone's mind nor is this post an attempt to do so.

I have equally strong opinions on the AR platform, the dollar value of M1 Garands, and most double action auto pistols in general.

and Glock's still suck!

MtGun44
03-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Reloading misadventures will typically destroy the mag and possibly
grips cracked with a 1911, but with a Glock the frame is usually toast
so the gun is done. I have witness multiple examples and the worst
damage to a 1911 was the chamber area of a high dollar aftermarket
barrel left the immediate area. A new barrel fixed that. All other
examples required a new mag and clean shorts for the shooter and
good to go, sometimes needing new grips.

NavyVet1959
03-28-2015, 05:52 AM
Reloading misadventures will typically destroy the mag and possibly
grips cracked with a 1911, but with a Glock the frame is usually toast
so the gun is done. I have witness multiple examples and the worst
damage to a 1911 was the chamber area of a high dollar aftermarket
barrel left the immediate area. A new barrel fixed that. All other
examples required a new mag and clean shorts for the shooter and
good to go, sometimes needing new grips.

My experience was that it seemed that the grips act as a pressure release valve. I was trying out a new bullet and load, so I didn't have any other rounds in the mag. It looked a lot worse that it actually was though. I thought I had destroyed the gun, especially since my hand didn't feel that great afterwards. As I took inventory of the parts and looked them over, it became apparent that all I needed to do was reassemble everything and it would be as good as new. To say the least, I was surprised. Then I proceeded to try to figure out what had gone wrong and I eventually came to the conclusion that I had left the wrong powder in that particular powder measure. I normally keep Longshot in that powder measure, but somewhere along the way I had changed it to Promo for some testing on a 9mm and had forgotten about it since it had been a couple of weeks.

texaswoodworker
03-28-2015, 07:52 AM
My experience was that it seemed that the grips act as a pressure release valve. I was trying out a new bullet and load, so I didn't have any other rounds in the mag. It looked a lot worse that it actually was though. I thought I had destroyed the gun, especially since my hand didn't feel that great afterwards. As I took inventory of the parts and looked them over, it became apparent that all I needed to do was reassemble everything and it would be as good as new. To say the least, I was surprised. Then I proceeded to try to figure out what had gone wrong and I eventually came to the conclusion that I had left the wrong powder in that particular powder measure. I normally keep Longshot in that powder measure, but somewhere along the way I had changed it to Promo for some testing on a 9mm and had forgotten about it since it had been a couple of weeks.

I usually put the powder back in the can if I'm not going to use it again for a day or so. I use a LEE powder measure, so it's not exactly air tight and I'm a little paranoid about the powder becoming weaker if it's exposed to the air (typically humid in these parts) for too long. I guess it also helps prevent a mistake like this.

Petrol & Powder
03-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Petrol & Powder:
The OP asked for an opinion and I provided mine.

If you prefer Glocks that is your right, note that I am not stepping on that right as it wouldn't be polite.

My Opinion is mine and was not an attempt to change anyone's mind nor is this post an attempt to do so.

I have equally strong opinions on the AR platform, the dollar value of M1 Garands, and most double action auto pistols in general.

and Glock's still suck!

I acknowledged your right to express your opinion at the very beginning of my retort:
"Glock's suck, period !" - OK, you're entitled to your opinion, don't buy one, problem solved.

I then went on to challenge your use of statistics as evidence that the Glock is dangerously flawed. I stand by that challenge.

I'll admit that I got a little sarcastic with the comments about you clinging to Victorian era technology. That was meant in jest and I was not being serious. I apologize for those remarks.

NavyVet1959
03-28-2015, 08:17 AM
I usually put the powder back in the can if I'm not going to use it again for a day or so. I use a LEE powder measure, so it's not exactly air tight and I'm a little paranoid about the powder becoming weaker if it's exposed to the air (typically humid in these parts) for too long. I guess it also helps prevent a mistake like this.

Well, when I last used the powder, I didn't think it would be a couple of weeks before I was going to be back, but it just kind of ended up that way. I keep the powder that I'm using near the powder measure. Longshot was underneath the measure, but Promo was above it. Apparently, I had put Promo in it, but did not move Longshot back over to the other side of the room where I keep my other powders. I guess I figured that I was going to be putting Longshot back in it later in the day, but I had to go away to do something else and never got around to it. Combine that with not being back there for another couple of weeks and you have the recipe for a definite "oops".
https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/ria-10mm-ruptured-brass.jpg

robertbank
03-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Ummm that case looks remarkably like the one I have on my reloading bench as a reminder of my stupidity. Mine only let go at the webbing. As mentioned before the top three rounds in my mag cooked off with the bullets ending up loose in the case, my grip panels were split and I had a very black strong hand and less black on the weak hand. 10+ gr of 231 will do that to you. The event blew the mag out of the gun. The gun of course is no worse for wear other than the grip panels.

If it can happen to me it can happen to anybody. We learn from our mistakes. As my father-in-law used to say to me "anyone can get lost in the bush, it just takes a damn fool to stay lost."

Take Care

Bob

HeavyMetal
03-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Not off topic, I hope, but I always keep a stack of blank mailing labels on the loading bench.

When I put powder in the measure a new label covers the old one and powder type and charge weight a written on it in ink.

This helps when I forget what and who and is just one more safety practise I've found very helpful.

30calflash
03-28-2015, 11:46 AM
I've both. With the 1911 I shot a lot of NRA bullseye years ago, fit my hand like it belonged there.

Used the 23 in some defense courses, never hiccuped once.

I'd use either for anything God intended to be dealt with by a pistol round.

They're both great.

GCBurner
03-28-2015, 12:25 PM
I have one Model 1911A1 that I tinker with, and shoot in IDPA competition sometimes, and use as a general fun range toy. I have four Glocks in various calibres and configurations from .380ACP to .45ACP, which I also shoot in IDPA, but also carry as actual tools for self defense.

clownbear69
03-29-2015, 09:24 AM
its been forever since I last posted on here but I figure this would be a perfect way to get back in

1911 v glock an all too common question in todays society when you have many older individuals who grew up with steel guns and people like me growing up with the "tactical" age. So of course there will always be clash on this topic. So what do I choose?

Which ever you shoot the best. if you feel comfy behind either one that's the one you should choose. no point investing in a system because one person says one thing and another person says another.

Now with that said, for me personally it depends on the situation. If the example is: living in a free state: Ill tend to go over to glock over 1911. Reason capacity. I would much rather have capacity on my side. IN addition to that with capacity you can find many sweet deals on glocks main one being very cheap (less than $350) police trade in glock 22. I own one. (first glock in fact) works great. Instead of changing my grip from 1911 I put a beaver tail on my glock and works great for me. Next situation: I live in a non free that = magazine capacity is 10 rounds max. For me I always felt it pointless having a double stack mags limited to 10 rounds. To me lots of wasted space. In this case ill tend to go 1911 over glock main point being the ability to find magazines. Sure you can find 10 rounders online for glock for many models but they do sell out quickly as well.

As I said which ever one you feel the best behind is the better one.

FergusonTO35
03-29-2015, 01:46 PM
I have something like 23 different types of powder on my bench. When I put one in the measure the can stays next to the measure. As soon as I'm done charging cases the powder goes back in the can. Not only does this prevent charging cases with unknown powders, it protects the measure from the nitro content in the powder.

XBT
03-29-2015, 04:14 PM

MtGun44
03-30-2015, 02:17 AM
LOL! JMB is on the side of God, no doubt. :bigsmyl2:

garym1a2
03-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Everyone should have a Gen3 G22.

Do you know the word "Stovepipe" was invented by a 1911 Shooter?

Nowdays Glock shooters don't even know the meaning of that word.

its been forever since I last posted on here but I figure this would be a perfect way to get back in

1911 v glock an all too common question in todays society when you have many older individuals who grew up with steel guns and people like me growing up with the "tactical" age. So of course there will always be clash on this topic. So what do I choose?

Which ever you shoot the best. if you feel comfy behind either one that's the one you should choose. no point investing in a system because one person says one thing and another person says another.

Now with that said, for me personally it depends on the situation. If the example is: living in a free state: Ill tend to go over to glock over 1911. Reason capacity. I would much rather have capacity on my side. IN addition to that with capacity you can find many sweet deals on glocks main one being very cheap (less than $350) police trade in glock 22. I own one. (first glock in fact) works great. Instead of changing my grip from 1911 I put a beaver tail on my glock and works great for me. Next situation: I live in a non free that = magazine capacity is 10 rounds max. For me I always felt it pointless having a double stack mags limited to 10 rounds. To me lots of wasted space. In this case ill tend to go 1911 over glock main point being the ability to find magazines. Sure you can find 10 rounders online for glock for many models but they do sell out quickly as well.

As I said which ever one you feel the best behind is the better one.

2wheelDuke
03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Not off topic, I hope, but I always keep a stack of blank mailing labels on the loading bench.

When I put powder in the measure a new label covers the old one and powder type and charge weight a written on it in ink.

This helps when I forget what and who and is just one more safety practise I've found very helpful.

I use a little piece of blue masking tape, and write my label in sharpie. For some reason, it seemed to bug my dad when I'd visit him and I'd label the powder measure with the powder inside there when we reloaded.

I was just thinking about my reply here, and labeled the powder measure on my press. Then as I was wondering how I forgot, I remembered that I rotated things around, and that the label was on the far side now.

texaswoodworker
03-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Everyone should have a Gen3 G22.

Do you know the word "Stovepipe" was invented by a 1911 Shooter?

Nowdays Glock shooters don't even know the meaning of that word.

35remington
03-30-2015, 06:10 PM
garym, you musta not talked to the Glock 23 shooter I was conversing with at Omaha's Guns Unlimited about his Glock 23 this past Saturday. Brand new.

His complaint? Stovepipes!!! First time out on a public indoor range. That Glock shooter knew darn well what a stovepipe was, firsthand. The bell tolls for plastic, too. We went down the list of usual causes....ironically, what causes them in a 1911 usually causes them in a Glock. Don't get too complacent or your plastic will bite you, too!

BrianL
03-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I use a little piece of blue masking tape, and write my label in sharpie. For some reason, it seemed to bug my dad when I'd visit him and I'd label the powder measure with the powder inside there when we reloaded.

I was just thinking about my reply here, and labeled the powder measure on my press. Then as I was wondering how I forgot, I remembered that I rotated things around, and that the label was on the far side now.

I just finally after 40 years found that I really need some organization and got Ma's label maker and labeled everything and got everything not currently in use off of the bench. I have a set area for the current die set box, the current powder, loading blocks , etc. It has been a week and several loading seessions and the bench still looks spotless. I have been putting little stickers on the uniflow for years. I have too many powders that look alike.

texaswoodworker
03-30-2015, 06:47 PM
garym, you musta not talked to the Glock 23 shooter I was conversing with at Omaha's Guns Unlimited about his Glock 23 this past Saturday. Brand new.

His complaint? Stovepipes!!! First time out on a public indoor range. That Glock shooter knew darn well what a stovepipe was, firsthand. The bell tolls for plastic, too. We went down the list of usual causes....ironically, what causes them in a 1911 usually causes them in a Glock. Don't get too complacent or your plastic will bite you, too!
Its been my experience that most reliability issues in a 1911 can be fixed by simply using a good magazine. My 1911 had minor feeding issues, and they went away when I stopped using the crappy factory mag that came with it. Reliability is flawless now. It will run just as well as any glock and do it with class! :D

I'm not sure what causes stovepipes. I've only had a couple in a .22 pistol. Never had one on any of my other semi autos.

35remington
03-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Ironically, most 1911 shooters aren't using the magazines most likely to work. The other ironic thing is the "new design" magazines have as many drawbacks as advantages, and cure some feeding problems by causing other types of feeding problems.

texaswoodworker
03-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Ironically, most 1911 shooters aren't using the magazines most likely to work. The other ironic thing is the "new design" magazines have as many drawbacks as advantages, and cure some feeding problems by causing other types of feeding problems.
GI mags work for me. If I was going to buy new, I'd go with Wilson Combat or Tripp. From what I've read, seen, and experienced, those three are as good as it gets.

wonderwolf
03-30-2015, 07:21 PM
I purchased my FIRST 1911 when I was 16 years old or so, I never grew up wanting a Glock because all adults I shot with at the time shot 1911's and knew how to work on them. 13 years later...I still don't own a Glock and I've still got my 1st 1911 along with a few more. I like the thin stock sights on a 1911....I can't shoot 50 yards accurate enough with glocks (I've tried) to make me want to get into one.

Someday I'm sure I'll own a Glock as my dad will surely pass down his (mostly unfired), There is nothing wrong with Glocks, its all personal taste. Just like how I'm too tall to even fit in the "perfect" car for my girlfriend. She drives a little honda civic and I hardly fit in the thing. Glock doesn't fit my hand like a 1911 and I'm not going to carry something that I'm not 100% comfortable with.

I guess there is ONE thing wrong with the Glock....it wasn't designed by Browning.

NavyVet1959
03-30-2015, 07:23 PM
I've had a G20 stovepipe on me. I've also had it not even eject the brass out of the barrel. Nothing is foolproof...

garym1a2
03-30-2015, 07:50 PM
I am sure it was a rare occurance.
I wore out a trigger return spring on a glock 22 and a firing pin. Took a lot of rounds for each.
I've had a G20 stovepipe on me. I've also had it not even eject the brass out of the barrel. Nothing is foolproof...

robertbank
03-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Glocks have a very heavy slide. If you can't limp wrist a Glock you have not tried very hard. Do a search on Youtube there is a video of a guy limp wristing pistols. The Glock was one of the easiest to jam due to the slide. Look at a M&P and you will see how S&W carved the slide to lighten it.

Take Care

Bob

texaswoodworker
03-31-2015, 06:09 AM
I am sure it was a rare occurance.
I wore out a trigger return spring on a glock 22 and a firing pin. Took a lot of rounds for each.

Most well made guns rarely jam. That's true for Glock, S&W, 1911s, XDs, ect. That doesn't mean they can't. I've seen just as many people have problems with Glocks as 1911s. No platform is immune to those issues, and saying one is more reliable than the other is just spreading misinformation.

garym1a2
03-31-2015, 08:33 AM
I have a 1911 before (Kimber TLERL2), my G21SF is much more reliable. I shoot plenty of USPSA and 2 Gun matches, averaging 2 per month. The 3 Guns I see the most issues with are 1911 types, 9mm AR's and Sagia 12gages. Almost never an issue with a Glock,

I think a couple makers like S&W and Sig created external extractor models of their 1911 so they might be a little more reliable.

Most well made guns rarely jam. That's true for Glock, S&W, 1911s, XDs, ect. That doesn't mean they can't. I've seen just as many people have problems with Glocks as 1911s. No platform is immune to those issues, and saying one is more reliable than the other is just spreading misinformation.

texaswoodworker
03-31-2015, 08:38 AM
I have a 1911 before (Kimber TLERL2), my G21SF is much more reliable. I shoot plenty of USPSA and 2 Gun matches, averaging 2 per month. The 3 Guns I see the most issues with are 1911 types, 9mm AR's and Sagia 12gages. Almost never an issue with a Glock,

I think a couple makers like S&W and Sig created external extractor models of their 1911 so they might be a little more reliable.
And I've seen more than a few Glocks jam or otherwise fail. Its a good gun, but its far from being the only good choice for self defense, competition, or combat.

FergusonTO35
03-31-2015, 11:08 AM
I've actually had more jams with wheelguns than bottom feeders. Crud under the extractor, out of spec cases, crud built up in the chamber, out of time, mechanical wear; I've experienced all of these.

TXGunNut
04-01-2015, 12:49 AM
I've had a few Colts, one Glock. Still have a few Colts. I carried the Glock for over four years as a deep concealment gun and the finish still looked good in spite of my rather corrosive chemistry. I can shoot a Glock as well as my 1911's but quite honestly I prefer the look and feel of a 1911. Firepower? Make your shots count and you won't have to count your shots.
Grip angle? It's more about muscle memory than ergonomics. If you shoot a Glock today it will point well for you tomorrow. Same with a 1911. If you mix them up it's not so easy.
These days my preferred "platform" is the Colt SAA but I'll carry one of those newfangled 1911's because an 1873 is a little tough to hide, even in my El Paso Saddlery holster.
I won't run down a Glock, it's a great gun for most folks. It's easier to train a recruit to shoot a Glock than it is a 1911 or a DA revolver. It also takes less practice to maintain that level of proficiency. I don't agree with that mindset but I don't bother to argue with beancounters.