PDA

View Full Version : Best Version of Lyman 55 Powder Measure?

PBSmith
03-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Looks like I'm a powder measure junkie. Latest interest is a Lyman 55. I gather there are different versions or generations?

Which ones are best and which ones should be avoided? I was inclined to try the older vintage orange models, but thought best to check here first.

Lyman CustService says not all parts are interchangeable on the different years. Do certain models tend to break parts?

Look forward to your input.

Edit: Not looking for any of the conversions, such as Culver, etc, simply the best of the stock models.

pworley1
03-14-2015, 06:52 PM
I have both the old orange the newer orange and the grey ones and they all work fine for me. The older orange ones are a little harder to adjust for me but they are just as accurate.

Dan Cash
03-14-2015, 07:21 PM
I have 5 or 6 55 measures. The oldest is probably 60 years old and the newest is their black powder model that I have had since 1995 or so. Except for the metal canister on the BP model and its internal baffel and the differnt type knockers, I can't tell any difference in them. Can't speak about parts intercangeability as I have not tried it. As far as I am concerned they are the very best measure ever made.

Outpost75
03-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Culver conversion with baffle and bottle adapter.

wrench man
03-14-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't think the one my uncle had ever would stay set?, we were warned about it and weighed every single charge we threw with it.

762 shooter
03-14-2015, 09:33 PM
I got my grey Lyman 55 measure in my first reloading kit I bought in 1973. I got a used orange 55 as a spare in 1985?

Can't seem to wear the first one out.

Char-Gar
03-14-2015, 10:06 PM
The Lyman 55 is one of the great measures. It was an improvement on the Ideal No. 5 and came out after WWII in 1947. There have been some changes as along the way, but the only significant difference is the early ones were adjusted by moving the slides by hand. The later versions used a long screw like gizmo to move the top two slides. These made adjustment easier, but the older ones were just as accurate but took a little longer to set.

There were other differences as to the width of the mounting boss, the way the drop tubes attached, the material used in the powder tube and cap and so forth. However the method of adjustment was the only really noticeable difference in use.

Lyman Gunsight Company sold out to Leisure Group in 1970 and that is when the color changed to grey and then to black. At some later time, Lyman was sold off and become a free standing company and the color went back to orange, but it was a bit different in color. As far as I am concerned, Lyman died in 1970 and anything made after then holds no interest for me.

Back to the subject of the No. 55 powder measure. They are good solid reliable powder measure. I started with one in 1959 and today I have six, covering the full time span when Lyman Gunsight made them. They are all good solid powder measures.

Once you set one, and lock the thumb screw, they will throw consistent charges for ever. It absolutely is not true that they are not reliable, as to charge weight setting. Once set, they are dead nuts on forever.

There is a fellow that sells a powder measure weight system on Ebay and I have one for my Lyman 55s. I am convinced this aids in throwing consistent charges.

The high point was those made between about 1957 and 1970. These are also the easiest to find. They have the two top slide adjustment screws and the transparent label. This the the second on on the left in pic and also the one with the powder weight in the other pic. These are fairly common on Ebay and should cost you no more than $50.00 in primo condition. I would not be afraid of a rusty or dingy looking Lyman 55. They seem to be everlasting and can be disassembled and put back in good shape very easy. I have never known of a broken part on one of these measure. Lost, yes, but broken no.

seagiant
03-14-2015, 10:22 PM
Hi,
Nice collection! Here's one I rebuilt with a new made hopper and cap. No adjust screws!

Char-Gar
03-15-2015, 07:39 AM
Seagiant...Nice save on a great old piece of reloading equipment. That one is from around 1950 plus or minus a year.

The first edition used a steel spring and plunger arrangement which rested in a groove in the bottom of the casting to hold the drop tube in. In use the tube was just pressed in and pulled out.

The next change was to not use the spring, but drill and tap the plunger hole for a screw. They used the same casting body casting. The hole was on the back side of the casting.

Next was a new casting where the screw was recessed into the casting and moved to the right side of the casting.

Next was a new casting and they moved the screw to the front and made it thumb adjustable. This is the one you have. This is how it remains to this day.

seagiant
03-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the info!

For some reason I wanted to keep the old paint on the measure, just cleaned it up.

I have it set up at this time to throw a charge for my 5.56 nato for my AR-15!

I have enough measures to set up for each charge that I load for!

Char-Gar
03-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the info!

For some reason I wanted to keep the old paint on the measure, just cleaned it up.

I have it set up at this time to throw a charge for my 5.56 nato for my AR-15!

I have enough measures to set up for each charge that I load for!

Yes, that is why I do as well. I keep the Lyman 55s set up for my most used handgun charges of Bulleye and 2400. When I want to load, I just take one down, load it with powder and that is it.

The RCBS Little Dandy is also a very good system and I use it allot. The only draw back is you have to take the powder charge the rotor gives you. Most often this in fine, but with fast powder like Bulleye, I want my charges spot on and not "close enough".

Here is how I keep mine set up:

3/BE for 38 Special target loads and for older Smith M & Ps.
3.5/BE for full charge 38 Special and 9mm.
4.5/BE for 45 ACP 200-230 grain bullets.
6.2/BE for 45 Colt 240-260 grain bullets
7/BE for 44 Magnum
10/2400 for 357 Magnum
16/2400 for a wide variety of cast bullet loads in 30 caliber rifles.

In my vintage years, I have finally realized this constant search for just the right powder and charge, with just the right bullet is mostly a waste of good shooting time. It is not hard to put together loads that will shooter far better than I can with these so called "cookbook loads".

There is no sense in developing loads for fantasy uses that will never happen.