PDA

View Full Version : Ghost ring revolver sight trouble

Airman Basic
03-14-2015, 12:23 PM
For anyone who has installed PAUL ALMASHY'S peep sight on a Ruger BH. The directions sound simple. Remove the old sight, depress the spring, install the new blade. There's the rub. Seems I need four hands to hold the pistol, depress the spring, and insert the new blade. Anybody done this successfully can help me out? Yes, I'm mechanically disadvantaged.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Stick the gun in a padded vice.

Airman Basic
03-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Now all I need to come up with is a vise. Need one anyway, I guess.

44man
03-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Gunsmiths are born with 10 fingers on each hand and three arms! [smilie=l:

Tackleberry41
03-14-2015, 03:36 PM
You just need something to hold it in place. I use one of the big wood working clamps sometimes.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 04:14 PM
You just need something to hold it in place. I use one of the big wood working clamps sometimes.

Or a friend or significant other.

Airman Basic
03-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Came up with some dusty, rusty C clamps from a dark corner. I'll jury rig something.

contender1
03-14-2015, 10:24 PM
First, yes, a good way to hold the gun while you replace the rear blade is necessary. Next, after you unscrew the screw, the old sight may have a "tit" of metal that has to align with a tiny slot in the base to be removed properly. Look down on the top of the base for this slot off from the blade slot. Next, on reassembly, the tiny spring inside the base will need to be depressed to allow the new blade to be inserted in the tiny slot as it's slipped in the long blade slot. It will take a very small, flat tool to depress the spring AND allow the blade to be properly inserted. This sounds a bit complicated, but it really isn't. I have the old Brownell's tool for depressing the spring, but a lot of other small tools can do the same job. After all goes in, add the adjusting screw.

Airman Basic
03-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Got 'er done, with help from the man himself. Thanks, Paul. The trick was to find a fine blade screwdriver to fit in the spring slot. That little spring is a handful.

ole 5 hole group
03-15-2015, 02:34 PM
I'm not familiar with PAUL ALMASHY'S peep sight but If it's similar to the "one ragged hole" peep sight, you might find you'll need to change out your front sight as well - as the center of the peep might set a tad higher on the frame.

Changing bullet weight might help in that regard.

Airman Basic
03-15-2015, 05:19 PM
I'm not familiar with PAUL ALMASHY'S peep sight but If it's similar to the "one ragged hole" peep sight, you might find you'll need to change out your front sight as well - as the center of the peep might set a tad higher on the frame.

Changing bullet weight might help in that regard.
Same sight, I believe. Hopefully won't need a new front sight. Too much sugar for a dime, I think, if so.

ole 5 hole group
03-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Have you shot it yet? If so, any problem with elevation? On my BFR's I found when you centered the top of the front sight within the peep - the front sight had to come up just a tad more than when shooting regular irons and the point of impact was much higher at 50 yards. In my case it was no problem just changing sights (changed to the tallest BFR had), as the fronts are quick change type unless you use blue or red locktite.:-o

I really like that peep - it's a whole lot faster getting on a moving target and the misses are a lot closer too.:shock:

Airman Basic
03-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Maybe my skill level is showing, but I'm not having trouble with elevation that I can't adjust the rear for back to 50 yards. This on a BH 45 combo with 4 5/8 barrel. Using the larger of the two peeps. Banging 4 inch dueling tree or 8 inch falling plates, which is decent for me. Definitely quicker to pick up the front blade. Both cylinders working good. Think I'll put the smaller peep on a 6 inch 357 BH and see what transpires.

ole 5 hole group
03-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you got a keeper. I also use the larger diameter aperture - I really don't like the smaller size for off-hand shooting. Those sights are a lot quicker and in my opinion, the only thing a tad quicker is the red-dot heads up display - that is, after you learn how to present the handgun so the dot is right there and you don't have to wiggle around to find that puppy.