PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Mauser Bore Slugging

hoppy
03-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Anybody have a simple way to slug a Spanish Mauser bore? I just acquired one in pretty good condition and the bore seems to be in excellent condition. Does anybody have any pet loads for this rifle? Thanks.

Yodogsandman
03-14-2015, 12:45 PM
What caliber? Someone might have one for a specific caliber.

To slug your barrel...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218414-FYI-This-is-how-I-do-a-pound-cast

leadman
03-14-2015, 01:11 PM
If you have a boolit cast of pure lead in the same caliber as the rifle you can use it to slug the bore. The throat in front of the chamber might be very large so you may have to expand the boolit in a vise or with a hammer. I usually slug the throat and muzzle seperate and then push a boolit all the way thru the bore checking for tight or loose spots.
Make sure the bore is free from copper fouling as this makes it very hard to push the slug thru. Oil the bore and slug and tap into the throat with a metal rod slightly longer than the receiver. I usually use a section of an old aluminum cleaning rod. Wrap tape around the rod close to the end slightly smaller than the bore. Drive the slug so it is flush with the chamber end of the throat. Then drive it back out from the muzzle end with a long metal rod with tape on it to protect the bore. I place old towels on the floor so the slug will not be deformed by hitting the floor.
Reverse the procedure for the muzzle with another oiled boolit. This checks for cleaning rod wear. Drive another boolit from the chamber end all the way thru checking for loose and tight spots.
If you don't have a proper size boolit an egg style fishing sinker can be used. The hole in the center actually makes it easier to push thru the bore. I have drilled a small hole thru the last couple of boolits I used for slugging and this does make the boolit easier to drive thru.

If I am lazy or think the bore is decent I will just slug the throat and size the boolits to this dimension. Seems to work out ok.

ukrifleman
03-15-2015, 09:31 AM
I use candle wax to slug bores. You can make them as long as you want and you also get a chamber cast.

Just make sure that the bore is clean and lube free before pouring the molten wax.
ukrifleman.

mrrch
03-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Brilliant idea with the candle wax.

Shiloh
03-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Is there a shrink factor?? How do you remove them?? Just tap them out??

Shiloh

hoppy
03-15-2015, 11:33 AM
I am impressed. The creativity displayed here is very good. I like the idea of ukrifleman using candle wax but one would have to be very careful not to deform it on the way out. Yodogsandman's reference to goodsteels post was very useful. That post really should be a sticky. I have one question though regarding the chamber cast.

Why wouldn't a person use cerrosafe to get an accurate measurement of the chamber?

Yodogsandman
03-15-2015, 11:49 AM
Cerrosafe has a shrinkage factor and most don't have easy access to it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-108485.html

Gtek
03-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Cerrosafe has a timed window of accuracy, it is also not the cheapest thing. 7mm, 8mm or 308 is the first question I would need to answer. Then I think I would make up some low end whatever and get a couple fired cases to mic neck ID's, minus .002" on pills and go make some noise and see what it does.

blackthorn
03-15-2015, 12:18 PM
A Sulfur/Graphite 70/30 mix (not an exact requirement) is as easy to use as wax or Cerrosafe and it does not shrink! The Graphite content can vary from 10% up. Sulfur can be found at most garden supply shops.

ukrifleman
03-15-2015, 01:13 PM
134007Here's how I make the slugs.

First off, you need a suitable funnel, a couple of pieces of wooden dowel and some wax (minus the wicks!)

Make sure the bore is clean and dry, push a paper plug down the bore to the required depth from the receiver end and tamp it from both sides with the dowels to make a wax tight seal.

Suspend the rifle muzzle down, insert the funnel and CAREFULLY pour the molten wax until the chamber is just about full.
CAUTION! do not allow the wax to get into the locking lug recesses, as this will prevent the slug from moving when you try to tap it out.

If you do get some in, it has to be removed and trust me, it is a total PITA to get it all out!

Once the wax has cooled and you are certain that the slug has no restrictions, gently tap the slug from the muzzle end with a piece of dowel and it should break free easily and slide out of the receiver, remembering to support it to prevent it snapping.

When you take measurements of the slug with callipers be careful, remember wax is soft and too much pressure will give false readings.

It has been my experience that wax bore slugs do not shrink.

One final thing, check and double check the rifle is wax free before attempting to fire it.

ukrifleman.