PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Or Marlin

bouncer50
03-14-2015, 12:53 AM
Funny i met a few guys who only collect Winchester and put their nose up went you say Marlin:shock: I have a few Winchester but more Marlins. I like the looks of the Winchester better but i like the feel of the Marlin the way it handle. I ask on guy can you prove a Winchester is better he had no answer. Me it a matter of personal choice what you like but don"t bad mouth someone else choice. I do not like gun snobs :sad:

Scharfschuetze
03-14-2015, 01:24 AM
To each his own; no reason to start a flamer, but that's probably where this is going. One man's snob is another's aficionado. There have been some serious issues with Winchesters made in the mid to late 60s and recently made Remlins are criticized for lack of quality control. Criticism in these cases is well founded and does not constitute snobbishness at all.

I've got a few of both brands and they each have their advantages and attributes. All of mine, either brand, are usually about 2 to 3 MOA rifles if shot off of a bench when shot carefully and with well loaded ammo.

One thing is for sure though, a deer or other game animal would never be able to tell which brand dropped him.

crazy mark
03-14-2015, 01:36 AM
they each have their pluses and minuses. Marlin easier to scope except if the win angle eject. Win straight stocked and only the Marlin Texans are. Marlin more calibers than winchester when counting all modern Marlin levers and modern win. Since 1899.

starmac
03-14-2015, 02:59 AM
It all depends on weather you drive a ford or chevy.

Shuz
03-14-2015, 12:02 PM
they each have their pluses and minuses. Marlin easier to scope except if the win angle eject. Win straight stocked and only the Marlin Texans are. Marlin more calibers than winchester when counting all modern Marlin levers and modern win. Since 1899.
plus Marlins are easier to clean from the breech end.

northmn
03-14-2015, 01:09 PM
I will make comparisons of each according to observations.
1. As mentioned the Marlin is easier to take down a clean from the breech. You just remove the lever screw and pull the bolt.
2. Marlin has a flat top and is better with scopes. I have seen some that want scout scopes on Marlins and tell them they are for Winchesters. Mount the scope on a Marlin correctly and you do not need a scout scope.
3. Winchesters are no-brainers for making up cast bullet loads as are Ballard rifled Marlins. Microgrooves provide a little more challenge.
4. Winchester forearms are slimmer and many like the "feel" of the Winchester. Especially if you look at the earlier Marlins.
5. When I chambered my first round in a Marlin I checked to see if it chambered as it was that smooth.
6. Also the pistol grip Marlin is designed to offer a shorter lever throw. Pistol grips are also more ergonomic than straight grips and permits a more straight pull with the trigger finger. Why the black rifles are designed the way they are.
7. The Marlin is supposed to have a more closed action to keep out environmental issues like snow and dirt.
8. Some prefer the side eject as the top eject is in the line of sight.
9. At this time the Marlin carbine can be had in 35 Remington. Before Marlin was availabel at one time in 30-30 and 32 Special as well. At this time Marlin is also chambered for the 308 and 338 Marlin. Both calibers that seem to have gone over better than Winchesters attempts at caliber improvement. However some older Winchester angle ejects came in some very nice calibers like the 356 and 375 as well as the 7X30 Waters. Some Marlins were made in these calibers also but no longer.
Some of these points may or may not matter to the users. I have a Rossi 92 copy of the Winchester 92 and a Marlin 94. Both use a receiver sight (Rossi did not drill for one so I had to do it). The Rossi is in 357 Mag and the 94 in 32-20. Depends on the mood I am in as to which I would carry. My Marlin would be hands down for a scope but with receiver sights I really don't care. I have a waffle top 30-30 Marlin and really feel like taking a rasp to the forearm and slimming it down like a Winchester. Some collectors kind of holler about that, but its my gun, my money. Take your pick.

DP

wrench man
03-14-2015, 01:11 PM
I still have my 9422, I sent my 94 30-30 down the road, I have 16 Marlin levers in the safe.
Yep, some guys still like Chivy's better than Fords!?

hpdrifter
03-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Just depends on your criteria.

To ME, the Marlin FEELS tighter, more robust; not saying it is. Winchester is more compact FEELING; not say it is.

To ME, the Marlin is a bit smoother and simpler. Winchester is a bit "notchy", but I still prefer "playing" with the Winchester.

TXGunNut
03-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Only correct answer is both with the addition of the Savage 99. I own all three but have more Winchesters these days. It's not a matter of which one is better, only a matter of which one better fits the situation. I could care less about the opinion of a snob.

tigweldit
03-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Well, I drive a Dodge. So I guess I'll load up my Winchester 94 (30/30) and my Marlin 39A (.22) and head out to the shooting pit for a couple of hours of tin cans and targets. I like them both (the Winchesters and Marlins). One day I hope to add a Savage 99 to the mix.

bouncer50
03-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Only correct answer is both with the addition of the Savage 99. I own all three but have more Winchesters these days. It's not a matter of which one is better, only a matter of which one better fits the situation. I could care less about the opinion of a snob. Yes one of these days i will find a Savage 99 at a good price. I will add it to my Winchester And Marlins collection but their little harder to find at a good price then the others.

TXGunNut
03-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Yes one of these days i will find a Savage 99 at a good price. I will add it to my Winchester And Marlins collection but their little harder to find at a good price then the others.

I guess I was lucky with my Savage find. Had been keeping an eye out for less than two years and every rifle I found was well-used (but generally not abused) and overpriced. Then I found one that was nearly new condition and the price was right. I don't need any more rifles so I'm not a motivated buyer...I just keep a soft rifle case in the trunk of my car in case a really good one wants to follow me home.

Poppaclutch
03-14-2015, 10:19 PM
I have a Ford F150 and a Chevy Silverado. Wife has a Chrysler.

northmn
03-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Had a 99 Savage in 300. I shoot left handed and it had a safety on the right side of the lever. Very unusual trigger pull. sold it and never want to see another. Were I to go more modern I would go a Browning BLR.

DP

waco
03-15-2015, 06:38 PM
I have both and I like my older Marlins More. Just My 2 Cents worth.....

Remiel
03-15-2015, 07:08 PM
i enjoy any and all lever guns

tdoyka
03-15-2015, 07:15 PM
winchester.
never owed a marlin. i just didn't, don't know why.
i had the chance to buy a 25-20 win in a marlin 1894, but it didn't fall thru.

BrianL
03-15-2015, 07:20 PM
I like a Savage 99..........don't have one but..........

KLR
03-15-2015, 09:03 PM
I had a Marlin in 35 Rem. It was accurate and worked great. My son has it now. I got a Winchester 94AE for Christmas this year. I finally got it to feed by modifying the cartridge guides and it still has trouble with the short bullets. Accuracy is good for the first two or three rounds and then it really opens up. I'd trade it for a Marlin if I could.

jmort
03-15-2015, 09:26 PM
Winchester for me.

dragon813gt
03-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Marlin

Even w/ a bunch of 99s I grab one of the Marlin's first when going hunting. Maybe it's because the 99s aren't being made anymore that I don't go to them first. I love the way both receivers feel in my hand in the field. The advantage goes to the 99 w/ the rounded bottom as it begs to be carried into the woods. But the Marlin is no slouch.

Even though I don't scope my rifles I prefer the side eject. The Marlin is a working mans rifle that comes apart in a few seconds for cleaning. There isn't anything to not like about them.....unless you're one of those snobs ;)

I have zero Winchesters in my safe and don't plan on ever buying any. They have zero appeal to me. But there is another iconic brand w/ a silly pony name that I feel the same way about.

OverMax
03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
The kind of money most winchester (collector's) fork out to purchase a pre -64 gives them the opportunity to be a snob. Tip to you Marlin lovers & collector's. Buy Savage in the future.

MT Chambers
03-15-2015, 11:07 PM
For a nostalgia gun gimme a Winchester '95, Winchester doesn't really make leverguns anymore so of course they will build a bigger following, Marlins are current and prolly the best bet for most hunters.

BrianL
03-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Marlin

There isn't anything to not like about them.....unless you're one of those snobs ;)

I have zero Winchesters in my safe and don't plan on ever buying any. They have zero appeal to me. But there is another iconic brand w/ a silly pony name that I feel the same way about.

Are there any Marlin snobs............?:kidding:

sandman228
03-18-2015, 12:07 PM
ive owned a few of both over the years . I own 1 of each now a marlin 336 in 35 rem and a win 94 angle eject in 30 30 win .I like both but will give the edge to marlin they always just seemed to run smoother to me and are easier to tear down and clean .in my younger days I used to hang out at a local gunshop owned by an old timer who wasn't afraid to speak his mind on any topic he always said the marlin is twice the gun as the Winchester ,there just not as popular cause john wayne never killed any Indians with a marlin .

firewhenready7
03-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Personal preference but I like the way a Marlin handles and also the side eject.

.45colt
03-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Buy one of each. mount a scope on them, a receiver sight, take them apart to do a simple cleaning . then report back and tell us what You Think......I have five Marlins.

lobogunleather
03-18-2015, 08:49 PM
I have decades of experience with 19th Century Winchesters in several calibers, but little experience with Marlins. Recently added a nice old 1894 Marlin rifle in .44.40 caliber (1905 production) to my little collection and I am having a great time with it. Very impressive design and workmanship.

Now if we limit this discussion to the products rolling off the assembly lines today there will be another discussion.

6.5 mike
03-19-2015, 07:21 PM
2 post '64 94's 30-30, 39a, 375, 444, & a model 1893 32-40 marlin. 2- 250/3000s, 243, & a 303 in the 99. Think these should cover most anything I might want to do.

yooper
03-20-2015, 03:25 PM
I've got a bunch of Win's and a bunch of 99's. The only Marlin I ever had was a 219 Zipper that I foolishly sold. :cry: I've never felt the Marlins were up to the smoothness of the Win's or Savages, but they've been around forever so they've gotta have something going for them. Go for what floats your boat.
yooper

bob208
03-20-2015, 04:14 PM
I have all Winchesters. not being a snob just that all the marlins are hogged up around here or go for way more then a Winchester. last marlin I bib on was src in .30-30. it just went for more then I had.

Clay M
03-20-2015, 08:16 PM
I love old Winchesters..I have owned a good many of them over the years..I can no longer really afford to buy any of them.I grew up shooting Marlins..They were good working guns and what we could afford.
I like 86' Winchesters best of all lever guns..but all I have now is a Browning Saddle Ring Carbine,and new Winchester 86 Rifle .I am very much considering sending the Winchester to Turnbull for case Coloring and chamber work ,as well as removing and wielding up the lawyer amenities..
There is nothing wrong with a good Marlin,and I still have many of those that I hunt with..
I also like the 95 wins especially in the .405

michaelcj
03-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Have to say that, in center fires, I lean heavily towards the Winchester including a '57 model 88 in .308 and a 1932 94 carbine…………..
However……… there is no RF that beats a classic 39A [1946 "C"] for function,handling, looks, and accuracy.

Always wanted a nice 99 in 250-3000 but ammo and brass apear to be approaching unobtainium these days.

dragon813gt
03-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Well my last post is no longer factual. I now own two Winchesters. Neither is a lever. But a post 64 Model 70 in 223 and 375 H&H no reside in the safe.

Oh wait, I almost forgot about the brand new Savage 99 in 375 Winchester complete w/ hang tag. Got a bunch from my Great Uncle's collection and I paid less for all of them than what the 99 is worth. All parties are happy :)

TXGunNut
03-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Hmmmmm...no one has piped up about Brownings or Henrys. Must be a traditional crowd reading this thread. ;-)
When I (and my eyes) were younger I had little use for Marlins. Nowadays I prefer a scope for hunting, especially when light is marginal. Newer Marlins accommodate a scope better, just can't bear to scope a Winchester. My Marlins seem to be more accurate than my Winchesters but that's debatable. Most of my Winchesters have some form of peep sight these days but they're mostly eye candy and range toys. I'll take one hunting now and then, need to do it more often. A scope doesn't hurt the lines of a Savage IMHO but I'd buy a nice one with a receiver sight in a heartbeat.
As I said earlier the choice, for me anyway, is more about the situation than the gun. I love leverguns and don't have a favorite between Winchester and Marlin, starting to really enjoy my Savage as well.

Clay M
03-21-2015, 07:03 PM
The New Winchester 86 I have shoots really well with J bullets..I get MOA for three shots at 100yds using 50grs Rel 7 and a Rem 300grain HP.The throat is very short for many cast bullet choices.That is one reason why I want to send it get work done.The barrel is obviously good or it would never shoot that well with any bullet.My old State Patrol buddy had one just like mine and his would not shoot as good.Needless to say he sold his..
I want the ridiculous safety gone ,and welded up where I can put a tang sight on this gun.
The bottom line is I am a shooter,not a collector.I always have been..
I truly love those old antique Winchester,and If I were a millionaire I would have a marvelous collection......to shoot.
I love the repo Sharps and Winchesters because it allows an average guy like me to experience something fantastic.I still have my original 95's and will never sell them. I hunt with one and the other I use for targets.
I also have two new reproduction 95 and they are totally amazing.
The accuracy is often beyond belief..If I told you ,you would believe it.
The Japanese are very impressive.