PDA

View Full Version : Rust Bluing a Win Model 67A

aarolar
03-13-2015, 06:30 AM
So I started a covert operation of restoring grandads old Winchester model 67A he has since he was a kid. The bluing was gone stock beat up and finish tattered along with a wore out exactrator from who knows how many firings. This weekend I will attempting the rust bluing process, I built a rust box last night and will build a scalding tank today at work. Im gonna try and document this here for my benefit of using yalls combined knowledge and to help anybody who may want to attempt this in the future.

oldred
03-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Since you say you have built a rusting box I assume you are using a slow rust blue solution? If not or if you have not already obtained the bluing solution I would suggest Mark Lee Express Blue, I honestly can't tell any difference in the results vs Pilkington rust blue formula but the Express blue is much easier and a LOT faster!

Hooker53
03-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Great thread. Do photos if you can.

Roy
Hooker53

aarolar
03-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Using laurel mountain forge solution for now this is after two cycles.

oldred
03-14-2015, 11:26 AM
FWIW I found the Laural Forge product does an excellent job and is easier to work with than some of the others, the only real advantage to the Mark Lee solution is the fact it works a lot faster.

LAGS
03-14-2015, 11:10 PM
I was given a Winchester 67A a year ago.
I converted it and made it so the trigger is now mounted to the receiver instead of on the pin going thru the stock.
I did the metal in slow rust blue , but being single again, I just hung my metal in the second bathroom, and let the shower steam up the room.
I could have never got away with that when I was married.

Mk42gunner
03-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Dad's Winchester Model 67A was the first real gun I ever shot. I still put a few rounds through it every once in a while, it brings back good memories.

Robert

aarolar
03-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Dad's Winchester Model 67A was the first real gun I ever shot. I still put a few rounds through it every once in a while, it brings back good memories.

Robert
Same with me I started on this gun with CB caps I want to keep it going for my kids and my brothers kids.

aarolar
03-15-2015, 02:39 PM

Now I need some advice, fixing to order some replacement parts and I think I want to upgrade the sights on the old girl. Thinking about going with a set of fiber optics that would be easier on old eyes if grandpa wants to shoot it. Any suggestions on something classy I dont want some cheesy true glo something. Also I would love to find some period correct ammo to go along with the gun or possibly just an box I could fill with new ammo.

Hooker53
03-15-2015, 02:53 PM
That convertion with photos would be a gret thread in itself.

Roy
Hooker53

I was given a Winchester 67A a year ago.
I converted it and made it so the trigger is now mounted to the receiver instead of on the pin going thru the stock.
I did the metal in slow rust blue , but being single again, I just hung my metal in the second bathroom, and let the shower steam up the room.
I could have never got away with that when I was married.

firebrick43
03-21-2015, 12:14 PM
I personally hate fiber optic sights. Work great at dusk and dawn but wash out anytime in between. Way to bright.

I own a winchester 69 (which is a similar gun but a repeater)

it has the winchester 96a rear sight with the hooded and it's a joy. Old and young alike love the sights (most like peeps) but it's not so obtrusive like most target type peep sights. Still a pleasure to carry in the woods to hunt mr bushy tail. The sight should easily install on your rifle. The front hooded sight allows for get alignment without taking your focus off the target, which is exactly why high end target rifles use globe type sights.

The front sight is 97A and should fit but look and see. I am not as positive on the front.

rking22
03-21-2015, 05:03 PM
I also have a 69 with that sight, and find it a very good sight.And I also find fiberoptics on a 22 to be "not so good". It is also the sight used on the M68 version of your rifle. Here is a link showing pictures of the sight.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3736851

Here is a link showing the M68 finger groove, a peep sight version of your rifle.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=472181138

LAGS
03-22-2015, 01:58 AM
@ Hooker 53.
I don't have the ability to post pictures, so I will try and get a friend to post them for me.
It is a simple conversion , where I made a three sided box out of some 1/16th " steel plate soldered together , and then the box was soldered to the bottom of the receiver.
The back plate on the box is made out of I think 1/4" thick bar stock and is drilled and tapped so the set screw provides a little spring pressure adjustment on the trigger return spring.
I had a thumb screw that I made to hold the action to the stock, so now it doubles as a take down rifle.
I am too, still working on the sights because they are too low for me with the short stock length of pull.
And putting a 1" thick recoil pad on it to lengthen the pull would look kind of funny.
Maybe I will just make a offset scope mount for it or a receiver sight.
I can get bases for a regular scope mount from Weaver, but it make the scope sit really far forward.
Yes, I have way too much time on my hands, and too many other projects going as well.

LAGS
03-23-2015, 01:07 AM
A Question for the OP ?
Did you Bead Blast ,Sand Blast, or just Strip the metal for Rust Bluing ?
I usually just Bead Blast the metal, but if I have a rifle that has minor surface pitting or if I want a heavier Mat finish, I then sand blast the metal.