PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a new press?

DonMountain
03-12-2015, 09:58 PM
About 25 years or more ago I bought a Pacific 007 single stage reloading press. Over all of these years and looking at all the advertisements in the gun magazines it looks like I "need" a newer, better reloading press. This old Pacific press is still tight and primes and reloads just fine. But I probably need a new one to get all the new "stuff" on it. I assume that all the new presses are much easier to operate and work much better than this antique one. So, what press would be a good step up for a single stage press? I only precision load so I don't need an automatic progressive press. And since this old Pacific 007 is so antique should I just throw it away or try to sell it somewhere (Not on Ebay)?

Pipefitter
03-12-2015, 10:06 PM
2 Questions first:
Are you married?
If the answer to #1 is yes; Can you get it i the house and mounted on the bench before SWMBO notices?
I would be looking at the RCBS Summit press if i had space on the bench and cash in the wallet.

Dont get rid of the old press, you will only regret it later......

jmort
03-12-2015, 10:23 PM
This is my next press

No. 444 H PressEver since Charles Heckman ( the founder of CH ) built the first Magnum Press, CH has been a leader in the precision reloading press industry. Now we continue in that tradition with the No. 444 H Press. CH's exclusive H Press design has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages of a turret type press.
CH H presses built over 50 years ago are still in use after loading tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. We hear from customers everyday who purchased an H press decades ago, and they tell us that their presses are still working perfectly after years of use. With that kind of following, we're convinced that after trying our H press, you will never be satisfied with any rotary machine.
With four stations available, you will not have to constantly reset your dies for each step. Simply preset each station once, and you're ready to go.

[*=left]Complete with large and small priming arm and primer catcher.
[*=left]Smooth, consistent, and easy pull of the handle every time. When you seat primers, you can feel them bottom in the primer pocket.
[*=left]Uses industry standard 7/8"-14 dies and snap-in shell holders
[*=left]No turret to wear or wobble. Pressures are centered between two 7/8" solid steel shafts. The platen rides on permanently lubed bronze bushings.
[*=left]Loads everything from the smallest pistol cartridge to the largest magnum rifle cases with ease, including full-length resizing.
[*=left]Loads up to 200 rounds per hour!
[*=left]Mounts on any flat table top. Nothing to turn or jam. You move only the cases. There is adequate hand room and sufficient platen travel for cartridges up to 4" long.

Owners Manual: No. 444 H Press Owners Manual (http://www.ch4d.com/Media/files/manuals/444.pdf)
Replacement parts: No. 444 H Press Parts (http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/444-parts)

Item #:044000

$306.80

http://www.ch4d.com/Media/images/catalog/044000.png

seagiant
03-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Hi,
Well were all different the CH 444 is quality but to cramped and to busy for me!

For a little more you can get a PW Met II that is the cats meow for pistol and quite unbelievable for rifle!

jmort
03-12-2015, 10:39 PM
^^^ I know, we have discussed this before. The arcing/pivoting shell plate makes sense, I just like the simple design of the 444. Different strokes. Not sure how it is "busy" as compared to the PW Metallic II or most any press for that matter. It is a clean machine.

seagiant
03-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Hi,
It's "busy" as you are moving the case by hand from one shellholder to another.

On the PW you put in the case and leave it,then move the swingarm (with the handle) from station to station!

Also powder check/primer check is easy! Just sayin!

Le Loup Solitaire
03-12-2015, 11:02 PM
I've been using a couple of three stations for many years now and they have worked well for me. You need quite a few shell holders...as well for the four station versions. It takes some getting used to the sequence and case shuttling, but you get a loaded round with each pull of the handle. The press is quite strong for its compact size and is well built. I started with a couple of old original single stations built by Roddy back in the day and they too are still going strong...kind of primitive when compared to the three or four station models. Prices on any of them are now thru the roof on E-Bay. Good choice for either pistol or rifle. Just keep them clean and oiled/lubed and they'll go on for pretty much forever. LLS

pworley1
03-12-2015, 11:05 PM
It will probably take about 5 minutes to sell your 007 right here. Name a price and get ready for some pm's.

country gent
03-12-2015, 11:16 PM
There are many very good presses out there. I just bought a RCBS Summit. Have used A rockchucker for several years a CoAx for many years, a little lee c frame and an oarnge crusher by lyman. The Summit and Coax are limited but the over top handle swing but are very good presses for almost everything. The coax has a universal shell plate and snap in and out die changes ( but you have to use the right rings) The summit is flush mount with front of bench and very solid. You may hurt yourself carrying it in. The rock chucker and lyman oarnge crusher are solid o fram presses and do a great jod also. The little lee was used for bullet sizing and other small operations but is a solid decent press. I perfer my Co Ax for alot of things and use it still. The best thing if wanting a new press go to cabellas bass pro shop or stores that have displays and fondle them see what you like and what feels right to you. That old Pacific is probably just starting to get broken in now and may be what you still want.

RogerDat
03-12-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm sitting here wondering "are you kidding?". You precision load, what you do worked for about a quarter of a century. Using a proven piece of equipment with a solid reputation as quality built. I don't know if I should laugh at the joke the OP is playing or be concerned for their mental health.

Unless the suggested "new" press will either:
A) improve vision so you can see the bulls eye better.
B) Go fetch the target and bring it in closer for an easier shot.

Exactly what do you think will be improved by purchasing a new press? Lot of really great stuff out there but sort of like having a good woman, getting a second one that is newer or flashier does not make things "better".

ascast
03-12-2015, 11:50 PM
RogerDat - dead on the money if you must I recommend a Bonanza Co-AX. You might better spend you money on upgrading your dies, better neck sizing, in-line seating

Motor
03-13-2015, 12:28 AM
I'm sitting here wondering "are you kidding?". You precision load, what you do worked for about a quarter of a century. Using a proven piece of equipment with a solid reputation as quality built. I don't know if I should laugh at the joke the OP is playing or be concerned for their mental health.

Unless the suggested "new" press will either:
A) improve vision so you can see the bulls eye better.
B) Go fetch the target and bring it in closer for an easier shot.

Exactly what do you think will be improved by purchasing a new press? Lot of really great stuff out there but sort of like having a good woman, getting a second one that is newer or flashier does not make things "better".

Quoted this post because I am thinking the same. Seems like trolling to me. Just a conversation starter.

Motor

jmort
03-13-2015, 12:39 AM
Why not have a couple few or ten presses?

Wayne Smith
03-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Why not have a couple few or ten presses?

Who needs em? (says the guy with 7, plus a couple of 310 handles!)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Don,

Some answers in red in the quote and a picture below with an idea for an option.

About 25 years or more ago I bought a Pacific 007 single stage reloading press. Over all of these years and looking at all the advertisements in the gun magazines it looks like I "need" a newer, better reloading press. This old Pacific press is still tight and primes and reloads just fine. Something you should be aware of is Hornady bought out Pacific and the Hornady LnL single stage is simply a very slight update of the press you have. The only difference I can visually see is the Hornady version has the LnL bushing adapter installed to make die changes quick. If your press has a remove-able bushing to accept larger than 7/8" dies, it can accept the Hornady LnL bushing adapter. If it does not, you could have a machinist drill and tap the die hole in your press to accept the Hornady LnL bushing adapter. Here's a pic of the newer Hornady LnL single stage so you can see what I mean:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RF6E473AL.jpg

But I probably need a new one to get all the new "stuff" on it. The only major "new stuff" on most single stages, other than the one I listed above is through the ram primer disposal. By that I mean the spent primer travels through the ram into a plastic tube and is carried to a trash can or other receptacle. It keeps the primer filth off of your press, allowing it to function much better because it stays clean when a lot of cartridges are deprimed on the press. This is a very worthy to have "new stuff" and very few presses have it.

I assume that all the new presses are much easier to operate and work much better than this antique one? The press you have isn't that antique, as it's still in production by Hornady. It's fairly strong, but not as strong as the Lee Classic Cast (has through ram spent primer disposal, compound linkage and accepts the Hornady LnL bushing conversion) or the RCBS Rock Chucker.

So, what press would be a good step up for a single stage press? Other than a Lee Classic Cast Single stage, I don't know of a press that's much of a step up in standard single stages. You would have to go with a premium single stage for precision reloading and specialized dies. And those are only worth it if you're shooting benchrest or competing at high levels.

I only precision load so I don't need an automatic progressive press. And since this old Pacific 007 is so antique should I just throw it away or try to sell it somewhere (Not on Ebay)? Frankly, I'd just upgrade it with the Hornady LnL bushing adapter, add the LnL bushings to my dies if I wanted the convenience and keep on using it. It's a decent design. If I wanted something more in a single stage, I'd go with the Lee Classic Cast single stage or go up from there to a true precision single stage and specialized dies.

So you gotta ask yourself "What am I reloading, for what purpose and is a clean press, convenience of die changes and a strong compound linkage important/needed for the reloading I'm doing.

Finally, after looking at all that and getting yes for an answer to the questions, I'd look at the Lee Classic Cast single stage or a premium (read very high dollar) precision reloading press with specialized dies.

Me, I'd go for the Lee and upgrade my seating dies to Forrester's best micrometer dies. (I tried the Reddings and found the Forrester's to be superior.) And that's only if I thought things through and truly wanted to upgrade my reloading setup.

BTW, in the "for what it's worth" department, I did this 5 years ago with my progressive press. Changed the way I reloaded as well as what I reloaded with. It was expensive to do and my cartridges improved some, but I'm much more satisfied with what I'm doing and the end result because I know I'm more consistent with less effort expended.

youngmman
03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
I use a Redding T-7 Turret press. It isn't a progressive but is sturdy and greatly speeds the sizing and neck expansion of pistol bullets. It has a good primer set up but I do that as a separate operation then use the seating and crimp operation with those dies in the die head. It's very fast and precision.

I have a separate head for rifle and it is precision enough for match grade ammo. I use it for .223, 308, 7mm mag. & 243.

You have to be careful with the C&H magnum press because there is a lot of flex in the die holes in front of the guide rods. The sizing has to be done with the hold directly between the guide rods or there will be distortion in the case, maybe not a lot but there is some. I had one and got rid of it in favor of the T-7.

Everyone has their preference about presses of course and it's not an easy decision.

Alexn20
03-13-2015, 08:58 AM
I recently sold an old CH and Pacific pres on the swapping and selling. If you want to get rid of it I am sure it will find a great home with someone on this forum.

If I were you, I would keep the press.

N4AUD
03-13-2015, 09:40 AM
I've had my Pacific 07 press for a long time also. I think I will wear out before it wears out. I do keep it clean and lubed. I really don't feel the need for another press, I like to go slow when I'm loading.

pertnear
03-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Whatever you do, do not sell your old Pacific press, eventually you'd regret it. Spare & multiple set-up could be pretty handy someday. Also, talking single-stage, new is better, but not drastically. Keep the Pacific & spend the money on other handy reloading tools like a dedicated bench primer.

FWIW...

lightman
03-13-2015, 09:57 AM
I doubt that you will see any improvement with you ammo or your loading process by swapping presses. If you just want something new, consider breaking your press down for a detailed cleaning and maybe bead blast and paint the frame.

I have a 1970's RCBS Rockchucker and have considered swapping presses. I've looked hard at the Co-Ax and the C-H (CH-4D) "O" frame press. I just can't convince myself that either would really be an upgrade. The only improvement that I see is that some of the newer presses handle spent primers better. The Co-Ax would cost me a fortune buying die rings!

Country Gent offered a good rundown on whats available and the idea to look at presses at one of the stores that have several on display.

If you do buy another press, consider keeping you older one for chores like depriming or using trim dies. At least keep it until you get comfortable with your new one.

Of course, we want to see the new one!:razz:

RogerDat
03-13-2015, 09:59 AM
You might also consider a second press if space allows. Two dies, two presses might make for a smoother process. In which case you can consider purchase of a pacific or other brand of older C press used (the route I went to supplement a turret press). My thinking is the open nature of a C press provides better access for seating bullet or priming, while your full size press provides the strength for sizing.

If you just want a newer press because by golly you deserve it then my vote goes to the Lee Classic Cast. Nothing you can't load with it, best primer disposal, good priming system, under $125. Is pretty! Eh? http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-classic-cast-press

The Lee Classic Cast has the nice primer disposal AND a bushing that when removed allows one to put in the Hornady LnL bushing to use their die quick change, at least that is what owners have reported. Almost bought one on eBay not long ago that was set up that way. And it is not a permanent change from what I understand. Remove the LnL bushing, replace the original bushing and it has normal die threads again. BTW that bushing is removable so that the press can handle the oversized dies used by big calibers, press able to do 50 BMG is going to be pretty solid.

The Lee Classic Cast turret can be nice if you load a lot of pistol, being in a nice spot between progressive and single stage. but it is a whole different process. One can however slip the indexing rod out and treat it as a single stage, taking advantage of the disk to have the other dies remain set up ready to go. Again you get the nice through the ram primer disposal and good priming system.

However as stated in my earlier post I don't think you are going to find a single stage press that is significantly better able to reload than the Pacific you already have. I would not sell it even if I purchased a new one But hey if you want a new one after 25 years then go out and kick the tires in the stores, check them out online, read the reviews and buy one. It won't be like you are out there chasing every new fad or anything after this long.

Dorf
03-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Oh yes, you really should up grade to a new press. Those old Pacifics just don't last any time at all, in fact they're noted for not having a service life of more than six months--even if they are just sitting there on the bench and not doing anything but catching dust! Do yourself a favor and get rid of it just as soon as you can--send it to me and I'll give it a proper burial (right alongside the other Pacific I bought in 1963 and the single stage Redding I found in a yard sale). NOTE: All previous said in jest. Seriously though, just go buy yourself one of the newer single stage presses with the "lock and load" type inserts and keep the old press, you'll NEVER wear either one of them out. Hope this helps==Stan

avogunner
03-13-2015, 10:53 AM
I only have 1 single stage press, my first - a Pacific Multi-C that I bought almost 35 years ago. I've never felt the need to upgrade either.
Semper Fi

youngmman
03-14-2015, 07:21 AM
I only have 1 single stage press, my first - a Pacific Multi-C that I bought almost 35 years ago. I've never felt the need to upgrade either.
Semper Fi

Not long ago I bought a Pacific Multi-Power press still in the original shipping box: the date on the postal stamp was Nov-1967. I didn't/don't need it, but damn, it was hard to pass up.

Geraldo
03-14-2015, 08:07 AM
You don't need a new press any more than you needed a different shotgun than the first one grandpa gave you as a kid. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try new things. I use two Dillon 550s for volume (9mm and .45acp). I also have a Redding T-7, a Co-ax, and an RCBS Summit. The Co-ax and Summit get used more than the turret, and I'd recommend either if you're looking for a new/different press.

trapper9260
03-14-2015, 08:13 AM
my first press was a Lyman T press and use it for years.Then when i was haven problems with sizen some 308 brass for my semi auto.i got a use single stage hornady press because the price was right and heavy duty for take the sizen and depriming.Now I do all my sizen and depriming on that one and the rest on my T press. I also found that do my 327 on the single press works better on that one then the T press.As for what the OP ask about I say like others you will not gain anything.

1johnlb
03-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Just remember, if you sell, it's gone. Then weeks or months down the road you find which ever new one you decide on, just doesn't suit your need or expectations, it's to late to go back. Don't ask me how I know this.

r1kk1
03-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Primer disposal through the ram is not a new idea. Think A2s, Champions, Reddings. If what works for you, works, then why change? I have one cast steel press in a collection of four single stage presses. It is my goto press for big stuff and for heavy case forming.

I have a Champion, Ultramag, COAX and Summit. Nothing new with the first three presses. Those three designs have been around since the 60s and 70s. The Summit is a very close copy to the Wamadet press. I use Wilson dies, and the arbor press conversion is a wonderful addition. It's compact design goes to the range with me, in the RV or wherever I want to use it. It's a portable single stage solution I've been looking for. It has a great feel when seating bullets, while adjusting the press linkage and using the short handle as followed in the instructions.

I think the only thing changed over the years is the thread pitch of die body bushings. The Champion reflects this. All this means is I cannot use a LNL bushing in it. The other three presses have quick change die features. All four handle spent primers well.

Nothing new. None of mine are UPGRADES from each other. They are very different in design from each other.

Take care

r1kk1

truck driver
03-14-2015, 11:11 AM
I have an old CH Super C press that I started out with and you had to change the rams when changing calibers. The up grade was a RCBS Reloader II which I still use and works fine. I do have several Dillon progressive press for pistol loading, 2 or 3 Square Deal Bs a 550 and a 450 which was up graded to a 550.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 04:24 PM
If you want a new press, then get a new press.

For upping production look to a turret or progressive.

If you reload for precision then it is safe to assume you have the tools to measure if your newer and faster press is loading ammo of sufficient quality for you.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find what you want!

oldreloader
03-15-2015, 12:14 AM
For the Lee Classics, I love the safety Prime system.