PDA

View Full Version : What are the best options for carrying a full size Taurus PT92 concealed?

tazman
03-12-2015, 07:12 PM
I am working on getting my concealed carry permit and would like to carry my Taurus PT92. It is the pistol I am most familiar with and it has proven to be reliable and accurate for me.
I am unfamiliar with carry options and would like input and ideas.
Here in Illinois it needs to be completely concealed from sight. Open or partially visible is a big no no.

Outpost75
03-12-2015, 08:48 PM
El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB works well with full sized M1911 and N-frame S&W. They make it for an M9. Contact them or visit their web site. My EDC holster.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-21-c-force-covert-force-holster.aspx133871

khmer6
03-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Not sure about specific holsters but they're extremely concealable. They are pretty slim to me so maybe IWB if you are comfortable. Or a high riding belt loop. I would probably stay away from paddles they tend to stick out a bit. Is yours with or without a rail

shoot-n-lead
03-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Suitcase

Bzcraig
03-13-2015, 12:07 AM
I understand wanting to carry the gun you're most comfortable with but that is a big gun. If that will be the one and you need to carry IWB spare no expense on a holster and buy pants that are two sizes larger than normal. I carry a much smaller gun (Kahr CW9) in a CrossBreed Supertuck.

tazman
03-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Is yours with or without a rail

Mine has the rail.
I am a fairly large man in both height and girth(for now at least). I would think that due to my size, the full size gun would not be that hard to conceal.
I may well be wrong about that. That is why I am asking.

khmer6
03-13-2015, 09:26 AM
You are just looking at legality correct. It just has to be concealed but "printing " is not an issue

pworley1
03-13-2015, 09:34 AM
One factor to consider is your activity. If you will be sitting most of the time in a chair, or riding in a car, or on your feet. Comfort will be as important as concealment.

DR Owl Creek
03-13-2015, 11:45 AM
If you can get by wearing a jacket or sweater, the Bianchi #7L Shadow works very well. It holds the gun securely and close to your body, and distributes the weight very well. I used to carry a Beretta 92 in the 7L on the job. I no-longer have the Beretta, but in cooler weather, I still have Bianchi 7L's for both my 1911's and my SIG 229, it I want to carry those. I'm a fairly big guy too, and there isn't any problem keeping them concealed under a jacket.

My normal every day carry gun, however, is a Kahr Mk40, and I carry it in a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster.

Dave

Love Life
03-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Mernickle makes great IWB holsters and high ride belt holsters. If carrying IWB, I would buy larger pants as suggested and look into upsizing your shirts as well.

What I do with a new gun or when bringing a new gun into my CCW battery is I'll wear it around the house in the chosen method every chance I get. This allows you to see how comfortable it is for long periods of carrying, while doing chores, sitting, etc. It also allows you to get all the "oopsie" moments discovered and out of the way in the safety and privacy of your own home instead of at the local grocery.

I'm 5'7 and I routinely carry a Colt Commander concealed IWB with no issues.

crazy mark
03-14-2015, 01:28 AM
I use a fanny pack for the 92 and 1911 during summer. It has a velcro pocket for the pistol. My cell phone sits in the zipper pouch along with a full mag. No printing.

MtGun44
03-14-2015, 03:02 AM
Winter coat.

A 1911 which SEEMS to be about the same size will conceal FAR better because it
is MUCH thinner and thin helps tremendously when concealing. PT92 is the poster
gun for FAT guns for small cartridges.

tazman
03-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Winter coat.

A 1911 which SEEMS to be about the same size will conceal FAR better because it
is MUCH thinner and thin helps tremendously when concealing. PT92 is the poster
gun for FAT guns for small cartridges.

I was wondering about that aspect of it. However the PT92 is what I have. I don't have a 1911 in any configuration.

I hadn't thought about the fanny pack mentioned earlier. That may be a very doable idea as it doesn't require special clothes or coats.

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2015, 09:03 AM
tazman, your choices pretty much come down to Inside the Waistband [IWB] and On the Waistband [OWB] holsters. They both have pros and cons. Your activities and needs to conceal vs. comfort will be the major factors.
An IWB holster is a bit easier to keep concealed because the bulk of the holster is hidden by your pants. If your cover garment (shirt/jacket) rides up; it has to go much higher before the gun/holster is exposed. IWB holsters are fairly secure and the gun is carried deep in the holster. A point to remember when selecting an IWB holster is you want one with a reinforced mouth so that the holster doesn't collapse when you withdraw the gun. If the holster collapses after you draw the gun it is almost impossible to re-holster the pistol with one hand. The major drawback to IWB holsters is lack of comfort. The last gun I would want to carry in an IWB holster would be a Berretta 92 / Taurus PT-92; Those guns are wide, especially in the slide. I think a PT-92 in an IWB holster would be extremely uncomfortable.

AN OWB holster is a lot more comfortable to carry but slightly more difficult to keep concealed. There are lots of variations but the most common is some type of pancake holster. There are several very good holster makers and the differences are things like thumb-break retention or open top, the location of the belt slots, the amount of gun that is exposed, etc. Again, because the PT-92 is fairly large and has a lot of weight in the grip section - you want a holster that carries that gun low in relation to the belt. That holstered gun tends to be rather "top heavy" in the holster and requires a fair amount of the gun below the center of gravity to keep the top (grip) from moving around. A fully enclosed trigger guard is also an absolute requirement for me.

I have a large selection of holsters from numerous makers and I'll say that there are some excellent products on the market. Galco, Mitch Rosen, Mernickle, El Paso, Don Hume, etc. Pick your poison.

tazman
03-14-2015, 09:15 AM
This is the kind of information I was looking for.
I have never given thought to concealed carry until just recently so this is all new to me.
Thanks to you all for the input.

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2015, 09:26 AM
A Beretta 92FS in a Don Hume model H721 holster.
Note the fully enclosed trigger guard, thumb break retention and how deep the gun sits in the holster. That holster carries the pistol with a slight muzzle rear "FBI" tilt. The gun rides low on the belt line. The belt passes right behind the trigger area which keeps the bulk of the gun's weight below the belt line. This is very stable but a bit harder to conceal.
This is not an endorsement or recommendation - just an example to show some important traits to consider when selecting a holster.

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2015, 10:37 AM
So here are three different holsters for the same gun, happens to be a Glock but the concept is the same.
The first photo is an OWB open top holster. Note the angle of the holster and relationship of the belt slots to the gun. This is a Bell Charter Oak pancake holster and it carries the gun fairly high in relation to the belt.

The second photo is a Galco three slot pancake holster with a thumb break. It also caries the gun fairly high but has the option of straight drop or "FBI" tilt depending on which slots are used. This holster also has the flat back design that places the molded section of the holster completely on the outside of the backing leather, some people feel this is more comfortable.

The third photo is a Galco IWB holster. The bulk of the gun/holster is concealed inside the waist band making it easier to conceal but less comfortable to wear. It includes a reinforced opening so that the holster will not collapse when the gun is drawn and replaceable belt loop that allows the belt loops to be matched to the width of the belt. This is a high quality IWB rig and on par with the old Milt Sparks summer special.

khmer6
03-14-2015, 10:46 AM
I've looked into into Don hummes before for other models. They appear to be very nice and competitively priced with lots of good reviews.

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2015, 11:07 AM
I've looked into into Don hummes before for other models. They appear to be very nice and competitively priced with lots of good reviews.
There are a lot of high quality holster makers out there and Don Hume is certainly one on them. I've used their products and they are durable and well designed.

Outpost75
03-14-2015, 11:16 AM
.....choices pretty much come down to Inside the Waistband [IWB] and On the Waistband [OWB] holsters. They both have pros and cons. Your activities and needs to conceal vs. comfort will be the major factors.
An IWB holster is a bit easier to keep concealed because the bulk of the holster is hidden by your pants. If your cover garment (shirt/jacket) rides up; it has to go much higher before the gun/holster is exposed. IWB holsters are fairly secure and the gun is carried deep in the holster. A point to remember when selecting an IWB holster is you want one with a reinforced mouth so that the holster doesn't collapse when you withdraw the gun. If the holster collapses after you draw the gun it is almost impossible to re-holster the pistol with one hand. The major drawback to IWB holsters is lack of comfort. The last gun I would want to carry in an IWB holster would be a Berretta 92 / Taurus PT-92; Those guns are wide, especially in the slide. I think a PT-92 in an IWB holster would be extremely uncomfortable.....requires a fair amount of the gun below the center of gravity to keep the top (grip) from moving around. A fully enclosed trigger guard is also an absolute requirement.....

Good advice.

I edited my earlier post on the El Paso C-Force holster, showing their website catalog photo with a full-sized M1911.

Please note reinforced opening for one-handed reholstering.

Trigger guard fully enclosed

Gun is DEEP into the holster.

Now speaking from personal experience with this holster. If you will note the placement of the belt anchoring loop, this permits the holster to tilt with your body when sitting. This is the only make and model of concealment holster I own. I have these for a 4" N-frame S&W Model 625, a 5-1/2" Ruger Blackhawk, and a 4" Colt Official Police. Note that these revolvers are all wider than your PT92, but like you I am a big guy, and have found this holster secure, accessible AND comfortable.

There are other good holsters out there, but at $75 this one is affordable and has been widely used in law enforcement circles for many years and is very well proven.

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2015, 11:51 AM
I like "Well Proven" !

Outpost75
03-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Suitcase

Without hijacking thread let's suffice to say that you could write books as why why off-body carry is not a good idea.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Tazman,

Is a different gun an option, or are you limited to the PT-92?

Nicholas
03-14-2015, 12:43 PM
the Beretta store has an IWB holster for their 92 that is similar to the CrossBreed holster, but with a perforated thinner leather back and a well-fitted Kydex holster that retains my Beretta 92 very well. It works well in oversized jeans for me but that is a heavy gun to tote around all day in your pants with a tight belt.

rintinglen
03-14-2015, 01:01 PM
The thick slide means that you need to IWB. Here are a couple of options.133886133887
The first type is probably the best for your needs. It spreads the weight over a wider area and is more comfortable. The second type is more convenient.

MtGun44
03-14-2015, 01:14 PM
If your only choice is the PT92, then the need to keep it as low as possible is important,
and then your choices depend a lot on body style. It is pretty important to keep the gun
tucked real close to the body since it is already quite wide (thick), so an IWB is probably
best for concealment, but depending on body shape, may not be very comfortable.

I started with some nice holsters with relatively closely spaced belt attachments, like the
Summer Special. Great holster but it can essentially pivot on the two closely spaced
loops, meaning the angle is all over the place, not good. Currently, the Watch Six in
horsehide (single layera of thinner, stronger leather rather than double layers of thicker
cowhide makes a good bit of thickness difference) has very wide supports, and pulls the
grip in tight, making it far easier to conceal. IME, almost all outside the waist band
holsters (which might be more comfortable for some folks) tend to let the gun flop
outward more, not keeping it close to the body, which makes it much harder to conceal
without a heavy coat or jacket. A KEY POINT is that a heavy, stiff belt is a real plus,
should be a requirement.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 01:41 PM
The belt is the foundation on which the house is built. An el cheapo belt will begin to sag, and with an OWB could allow the Holster to hang away from the body and even flop over.

Something to consider is to practice using the restroom (sit down position) while carrying your gun. Few things in life make me cringe and laugh as hard as seeing a pistol flop on the floor when a man goes to take dump in the public restroom.

Black shirts and shirts with designs do well to make printing less noticeable as well.

Big pants. My pants are all 2-3 sizes larger than they are supposed to be to allow for carrying guns IWB.

tazman
03-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Tazman,

Is a different gun an option, or are you limited to the PT-92?

Not an option for a while at least. I want to get some experience with what I have and see what the problems are before I go for a full time smaller carry gun.
I don't expect to be carrying the gun all the time every day. This is mostly for trips around my state.
There are many areas in this state that are less than hospitable. My permit will be good in the neighboring states where I might be traveling as well.
That is also why I found the fanny pack idea interesting. Easy on, easy off, and no special clothes needed. Certainly there are tradeoffs involved with any system. I just need to get an idea what they are and what I might expect to be dealing with.
When I buy a holster for my gun, cost will not be a major concern. If it doesn't work right or is not comfortable I will have wasted my money in any case. That is another reason I need input.
I want to thank all of you for all the information you have provided. This helps a great deal. If any of you think of anything else that might be applicable to my situation, please let me know.

HeavyMetal
03-14-2015, 05:03 PM
As stated body size and type play a huge part in concealing a gun, the suggestion that you try hitting the head with your gun on is a good one! Many do not realize what will happen when you unbuckle your belt!

You may consider a shoulder holster and a wind breaker as an option but this falls under the heading of ya just gotta try several options before settling on one.

As to the Fanny Pack? Im my opinion this screams GUN louder than any other type of carry and makes you a target for car break in's ( he's not wearing it lets see if it's in the car!)

Or home burglaries ( he's not wearing it let's see if it's on the couch!).

I have a PT 99 and it's a big gun to hide so I don't. bought a Star Firestar for carry if and when I need to.

Again I'd strongly consider a Vertical sholder holster, with a snap type belt loop for visits to the bath room, and then some kind of light covering to hide everything.

A Horizontal holster may work as well but depend greatly on how thick your body is.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Hey Taz--I've got somewhat the same problem as you do regarding girth. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years, and probably own 2 dozen holsters for various pistols/revolvers. All the advice you've been given above is good. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it seems like 2/3 of the year is winter. Maybe not really that bad, but if you count going into and coming out of winter that might be close. Anyway, most of that time period a jacket or coat doesn't look out of place, and many holsters will work. Winter concealment just isn't a difficult problem. In the summer I can usually get by with carrying a full size pistol in an inside the belt holster with a jacket-type shirt with the tails hanging out. You know, the kind of shirt that doesn't have pointy tails, the bottom is cut off even. HeavyMetal is so, so right about fanny packs. They scream "gun". The bad guys know that also, so when they politely ask you for your wallet and you reach into your pack they'll probably shoot you and then take the wallet out of your back pocket. But--I do subscribe to the axiom that some gun is better than no gun, and the pack is better than no chance at all. You might take a look at some of the concealment vests that are being offered by the NRA Store, etc. that have built in holsters/pockets. I also used to utilize a vertical shoulder holster, but as the reach became longer I bought a horizontal rig based on the old ******* shoulder holster which works just fine for me.

Love Life
03-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Concealment vests, to me, scream "GUN" as loudly as a fanny pack could. So do tactical pants. Just dress like a normal person, but upsize your wardrobe a tad.

It's so easy to spot people who are new to, or not comfortable with concealed carry. Resting an elbow on the gun, touching the gun, adjusting the gun, dead arm on the side the gun is carried, always pulling down their shirt, etc.

Get used to carrying it and have fun!

TCFAN
03-14-2015, 06:37 PM
If I was going to carry a pistol that big I would look long and hard at a Cross Breed Super Tuck.
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Geraldo
03-14-2015, 07:21 PM
tazman, I carry a Beretta 92F IWB every day without a problem. My guess is that the naysayers have never tried carrying one.

I use a 1 3/4" rigger belt, a custom kydex holster, and two kydex mag pouches. Kydex is thinner than leather and easier to care for. I'd give you the name of my holster maker, but he doesn't make them for the Taurus 92, and the differences in safeties between Taurus/Beretta mean that the holster won't for you.

mattw
03-14-2015, 07:25 PM
I would suggest a briefcase!

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 11:00 AM
OK, several points have come up:

Fanny pack- this screams GUN and while comfortable to wear it makes you a target.
Photographers vest or other concealment vest - same thing, screams gun. Ditto for 5.11 pants. Just wear normal clothing and blend in as much as possible. A big part of surviving an encounter is surprise. Covering garments are a bit easier in the winter when coats are the norm but even then you have to plan ahead. A light jacket that you keep on indoors works but a heavy coat will not. If you're sitting in a restaurant wearing a parka, I'm going to think something is wrong. Hot climates are a different story; you have to switch your thinking and adjust you mode of carry accordingly.

MtnGun44 brought up a point concerning IWB holsters. There seems to be two schools of thought with those rigs.
1. Close belt loops or even an offset belt loop that allows the holster to move a little.
2. widely spaced belt loops that anchor the holster and prevent movement.
rintinglen shows both types in post #25
In the days of The Milt Sparks Summer Special and Mitch Rosen "rear guard", the idea was to allow the holster to change angles in response to sitting vs. standing. That philosophy intentionally traded some movement for comfort.
The current trend is for widely spaced belt loops that hold the holster firm and have little room for movement.
Both systems have merit but for me an IWB holster needs to be combined with a thin gun regardless of the type of anchoring system.

Some OWB holsters are well made and capable of holding the gun "high & tight", which aids concealment. Generally speaking the higher the pistol rides in relation to the belt the easier it is to keep concealed but the more difficult it becomes to keep the grip "tucked in". Some high quality rigs do that better than the cheaper ones but the bigger the gun the harder it becomes. The Bell Charter Oak holster I showed in a prior post does a good job of holding a large pistol "high & tight".

There are a lot of factors that go into selecting the "leather part of a hand gun". It is a system and both parts (gun and holster) deserve careful consideration.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-15-2015, 06:14 PM
a good belt , this is a belt made to take the weight all day long , it can be leather but does not have to be it will have some stucture to it or be thicker 2x thick belt , not the saggy thin leather thing most people hold their pants up with

it isn't to hard in the winter when wearing an over size fleece jacket is a normal thing , a good holster it may take a few tries but it should have structure so that you don't have to hold it open when you holster

generally higher and tighter is easier to conceal , the back of the gun will be just a few inches down from your arm pit but still reachable and comfortable but tight up against your body then an un-tucked button up shirt on the large side can cover it fine , darker colors maybe with a bit of a pattern will hide more

light weight denim over sized work shirt works well and is fairly normal to use to keep the sun off even on warm days

your just going to have to dress around the gun a bit

if you get a smaller gun like a LC9 and your a big guy , a pocket holster and toss it in a pocket you can look like your ready for the beach and still be armed , actually I carried mine wading on the beach while I was fishing in the surf and watching the kids play , it was in the pocket of my cargo shorts

I don't carry big often but when I do it is a full size smith auto 40cal about the same thickness as your 92 a touch lighter and a 1/2 inch in length woun't make that big of a difference , your going to want the jacket or cover garment you select a minimum of 3 inches longer than the lowest part of the gun

then carry around your house , property around like minded people and stores where they respect your right to carry , then when your very comfortable venture anywhere

Outpost75
03-15-2015, 07:03 PM
I would suggest a briefcase!

http://www.pagunblog.com/2015/01/06/the-danger-of-off-body-carry/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/02/johannes-paulsen/carry-on-body-or-not-at-all/

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/practical-issues/how-do-i-hide-this-thing/

nicholst55
03-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Take a look at the Galco Concealable (http://www.galcogunleather.com/concealable-belt-holster_8_4_1064.html) holster. It's a belt holster specifically designed to hold large guns close to the body, and it works well. I've been wearing one for three years here in AZ, and I own several of them for different guns. I frequently wear a full-size 1911 under a T-shirt, and it doesn't print. They're available on Gun Broker for about $90.

soldierbilly1
03-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Not an option for a while at least. I want to get some experience with what I have and see what the problems are before I go for a full time smaller carry gun.
I don't expect to be carrying the gun all the time every day. This is mostly for trips around my state.
There are many areas in this state that are less than hospitable. My permit will be good in the neighboring states where I might be traveling as well.
That is also why I found the fanny pack idea interesting. Easy on, easy off, and no special clothes needed. Certainly there are tradeoffs involved with any system. I just need to get an idea what they are and what I might expect to be dealing with.
When I buy a holster for my gun, cost will not be a major concern. If it doesn't work right or is not comfortable I will have wasted my money in any case. That is another reason I need input.
I want to thank all of you for all the information you have provided. This helps a great deal. If any of you think of anything else that might be applicable to my situation, please let me know.

I recently moved to PA, where CC is sacred! I have a Taurus 92 and I frankly gave up on trying to conceal it. I now go with an Airwght or my Taurus 85B, pocket holster in the front. The little guys are concealable for sure. And you will quickly forget its there. No big loud kerplunk when you go to the can, no CC "giveaways" like touching it, leaning on it, dead arming it, running and grabbing it, etc.
If you stay with the 92, I think you got some good recommendations here. Consider a BullHide gun belt for your rig. Its 1/4" thick, looks awesome, and it will hold your piece. (I don't work for Bullhide.)
Good luck in whatever you chose
Billboy

jonp
03-15-2015, 08:23 PM
If I were carrying a full size for daily carry id strongly consider a ******* rig like Galco's Miami Classic

LUCKYDAWG13
03-15-2015, 08:28 PM
El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB works well with full sized M1911 and N-frame S&W. They make it for an M9. Contact them or visit their web site. My EDC holster.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-21-c-force-covert-force-holster.aspx133871

+ 1 this is what i use to carry my 1911 in

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 08:32 PM
I completely agree with Outpost75 - off body carry a disaster waiting to happen. Accessing the gun under stress is only part of the problem. The risks of losing the gun through accident or force are too high for me to even consider it.
The only time it makes sense is when an undercover officer or agent needs to be armed in conjunction with surveillance operations. In those limited circumstances a gun hidden in a tool box, gym bag, cooler, etc. may help the officer blend into the cover role. It has no place in daily carry.

Nicholst55 - that Galco Concealable is a nice rig for large pistol. Galco makes good gear. A quality holster like that coupled with a good belt is key.

mdr8088
03-15-2015, 08:33 PM
I fell in love with my pt92afs, and have the same problem. You'd think with me being on the fat side, I'd have lots of places to hide it. Luckily it doesn't matter if mine shows half the time. Large T-shirts. Larger means longer, longer means cover and no plumbers but...

shoot-n-lead
03-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Without hijacking thread let's suffice to say that you could write books as why why off-body carry is not a good idea.

While those books are being written...please include that my post was not a serious suggestion...just a comment on the size of that gun.

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2015, 08:55 PM
While those books are being written...please include that my post was not a serious suggestion...just a comment on the size of that gun.
I caught the humor and suspect others did as well. That being said, The issue of off body carry still needed to be addressed and I'm glad Outpost75 jumped in.

tazman
03-15-2015, 09:28 PM

I thought it was funny.
I realize the gun is large and that a smaller gun would be easier to conceal. That said, I am very familiar with this pistol and am confident that I can shoot /handle it in a stressful situation because of that familiarity. I would take me several months to get as comfortable with a new gun as I am with this one. It has proven itself to be very accurate and reliable with the loads I practice with and the loads I would carry. I hate to change if I can work out a method to carry it.
I am enjoying reading all the ideas and suggestions and am learning a great deal. Thank you all for posting and please keep it up.

crazy mark
03-15-2015, 11:44 PM
As to the Fanny Pack? Im my opinion this screams GUN louder than any other type of carry and makes you a target for car break in's ( he's not wearing it lets see if it's in the car!)
Not in the Pacific NW as a lot of different people wear them. Nobody has ever questioned me what was in the fanny pack. I have had somebody question on why I was wearing a light wind breaker zipped up when I was carrying in a shoulder holster. In the summer I do tend to carry my kel-tec 32 acp or 380 auto in my front pocket. Winter is more the pt92 and 1911. To each there own and I hope he finds his best solution.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-17-2015, 08:59 AM
vests are an option , but rather than the 5.11 tactical vest , something more along the line of dress up or denim with a patch or two especially if your a Vet would not stand out at all

as for long t-shirts I like the Duluth trading company t-shirts , they are adequate to cover my ape like proportions , thay aslo have some slightly dressier vests that don't scream tactical

but as a retired guy you could probably get away with wearing even a 5.11 type vest just say something like with all the pockets I no longer loose my readers and my pills

Der Gebirgsjager
03-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Back for one more whack at this one. I was throwing possible solutions out for the O.P. to sift through, but freely admit that I do not own or wear a concealment vest myself, but have considered it. They certainly do come in a number of different styles and fashion statements, all the way from leather and Levis-looking to the padded Michelin Tire Man look. You could indeed sew some organizational patches on them (not NRA!) and deflect suspicions. There are a lot of redneck types here in the Pacific Northwest that wear the most absurd clothing even in winter. You'll see them running around in knee length shorts and vests with short sleeved shirts in the middle of a rain storm134226134227. Not sure if it's a macho thing, or just youth and high metabolism. But I still don't like the fanny packs. I was in Costco awhile back, and they have a notorious anti-gun policy. I'm sitting in the snack bar and here's a WMA with a haircut about age 55 wearing a fanny pack. I made a finger gun at him, and he just grinned back. Just too easy to spot. I dress and carry for the day, and although I have a number of rigs for a number of guns, I more often than not carry a Star Mod. B 9mm which approaches the size of a 1911. Most often it is worn in an inside the waistband holster, unless I'm going to be wearing a coat and won't have to take it off, in which case I favor the horizontal shoulder holster. But it's hard to have one combination of pistol and holster be correct for all circumstances, and a couple of options is the best option. Here's the ones I use the most, both are from Triple-K. The inside the waist band holster is very versatile as it has belt slots on both sides plus the clip, and has the double virtues of being one of the best and inexpensive. The shoulder rig is kind of spendy.