PDA

View Full Version : Whole lot of patches

Friends call me Pac
03-12-2015, 06:36 PM
I went to the local thrift store this morning to take advantage of a bag sale. Paid my $5 for my big trash bag and went straight to the linen. I picked up every flat cotton sheet I could find then stuffed a bunch of pillow cases in the bag. I ended up with about 6 sheets. Most were queen size but I also had a full size. Then I threw about dozen pillow cases into the bag.

When I got home I raided my wife's sewing stuff. She has this self sealing mat that you use like a cutting board and this nifty tool that looks and is used like a pizza cutter. So far I've got a gallon jug filled with 3"x3" patches that I like to use on my .45acp and I have about the same amount in a smaller size that I like to use with my 30.06

I have 4 sheets left that are uncut and all of the pillow cases. What I have cut up should last for a while so I think I'll stash them away for another time..

Calamity Jake
03-12-2015, 06:44 PM
I like the white flannel best or the unbleached muslin.
Been cutting patches for decades.

Ed Barrett
03-12-2015, 08:57 PM
I watch for the Flannel sheets. I don't have access to a fancy cutting machine so I just use a scissors.

pworley1
03-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Nice find.

LUBEDUDE
03-13-2015, 02:07 AM
Great idea, patches are so darned expensive!

leadman
03-13-2015, 02:13 AM
The blades for his wife's cutter are not exactly cheap so there is a cost besides time to cut the sheets. My wife cuts mine for me with the same type cutter as long as I pay for the blades when she needs more.

parson48
03-13-2015, 01:39 PM
My wife is a quilter and she occasionally make t-shirt quilts for someone. There's always a whole lot of scraps left, so she quickly renders them into little squares with her rotary cutter. Haven't had to by patches for year. Although I do take my "supplier" out for a meal once in a while!

John Guedry
03-13-2015, 02:38 PM
I'd take the pillow cases and use 'em for covers for presses, lubesizers and whatever else needs a cover.

2wheelDuke
03-13-2015, 04:28 PM
My mom is a quilter, and has my dad pretty well set for patches. They found T-shirt scraps at a flea market for next to nothing and used Mom's cutters and pads to make a whole bunch of patches in a little bit of time.

MrWolf
03-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Never thought of doing that. Great idea! Thanks

TCFAN
03-13-2015, 10:15 PM
My wife is a quilter and she occasionally make t-shirt quilts for someone. There's always a whole lot of scraps left, so she quickly renders them into little squares with her rotary cutter. Haven't had to by patches for year. Although I do take my "supplier" out for a meal once in a while!

Like parson48 my wife is also a quilter and make a lot of T-shirt quilts for other people.As well as having her own Long Arm quilting business there is always lots of scrap fabric to cut up for patches as well as poly quilt batting to use for filler.....Terry

TXGunNut
03-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Great idea, patches are so darned expensive!

I've been noticing that!

GoodOlBoy
03-13-2015, 11:00 PM
my favorite patches are old white ribbed wife beater shirts.... once they get a but holy chop em up and swab a bore with em. I don't wear them much anymore, but I got enough to last me a few more years anyway.

Richard