PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Auto Priming Tool

Alan in Vermont
03-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Does anyone here use this for priming? If so, are you happy with it?

For years I have been using the RCBS ram priming tool for rifle cartridges. Slow but fairly precise. Problem is that, with my left hand getting more clumsy over time, I am having a problem feeding the individual primers to it.

There is a used one of these tools at a LGS for $60+/- so I'm thinking about grabbing it.

Am I correct in thinking that you cycle the handle, with no cartridge in the shell holder, to feed the primer and cycle it again with a case in place to seat the primer?

ioon44
03-12-2015, 11:10 AM
I have used one for the last 30+ years for rifle cases, gives a good feel of the primer seating.

$60.00 sounds like a bargain price.

Actually you cycle the primer tube to load the primer and then raise the handle to put the case in the shell holder then push down on the handle to seat the primer.

seagiant
03-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Hi,
You better RUN and get that!!! Excellent tool!!!

BethelHntr
03-12-2015, 11:49 AM
This is a fantastic priming tool at a great price, Worth every penny.

BethelHntr
03-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Hi,
You better RUN and get that!!! Excellent tool!!!

That is a nice...........rifle.

Edster
03-12-2015, 11:58 AM
That is a nice...........rifle.

Wait there was a rifle in that picture

jmort
03-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Seems like most everyone who has one, really likes it. My concern would be taking up space on the bench. I know that is a good price if it is good condition, so if you don't like it, sell it and get your $$$ back.

ioon44
03-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Seems like most everyone who has one, really likes it. My concern would be taking up space on the bench. I know that is a good price if it is good condition, so if you don't like it, sell it and get your $$$ back.

I have crowded loading bench and my RCBS priming tool is mounted on a piece of 3/4" ply wood and is C-clamped to the bench when I need it, other wise it hangs on the wall out of the way.

jmort
03-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Member just put one up for $60, what a coincidence, so I have joined the club and will see how it goes. Not getting rid of my Lee Round Trays just yet. The plywood mount and C-Clamp makes sense.

roysha
03-12-2015, 01:51 PM
I have used mine for nearly 30 years. At some point in time I have used virtually every make and model of priming tool commonly available and NOTHING comes close to this tool as far as I'm concerned. To me priming is the most onerous job of reloading. I just plain dislike priming so I want it to be as painless as possible. This tool makes it bearable.

I also have a very crowded loading bench and while the plywood remedy works very well, it seems something is always in the way, plus my bench top is so thick it takes a rather large clamp to open wide enough. This is how I did mine. I set the unit where I wanted it, drew around it with a magic marker, and then pilot drilled 4 holes for 2" dry wall screws. I put some 3/16" flat washers on the 4 screws and keep everything in a little baggie with the tool. It takes about a minute to run the screws in with a cordless driver.

One thing I have found is that some shell holders have a huge hole in them and will not keep the ram in alignment very well. The only fix is a different shell holder with a smaller hole. I figured this out after having to crush a few primers after they got tipped and partially seated. No big deal but something to be aware of.

Also, for mine at least, I have found that the HOR primer tubes, (the brass ones with the aluminum base) fit correctly and work very well. This allows me to prime aprox. 1000 cases without refilling tubes. A lot of times the HOR tubes can be found cheaper than RCBS. I got mine off GunBroker for $1.00 each including shipping. (of course that was some years ago).

Hardcast416taylor
03-12-2015, 02:23 PM

I`ve had 1 of these units for 30 odd years, got it from a guy selling his equipment after a small house fire, due to smoke damage. I`ve mounted my unit on a 1 x 12" pine board that is 12" long. I use 2, 6" "C", clamps to hold it on my bench when priming then put it on a shelf till next time. I prefer to use the primer tubes that are used on a press over the overly long tubes that are used with the priming unit as it comes with 2 very long tubes for both size primers.Robert

georgerkahn
03-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Not only am I delighted with it, I have three of them! Two notes: the older models simply raise the cup with primer gotten from tube to charge case. The newer RCBS models have a longer handle, with a bevel at far end to automatically move the primer tube forward for you. Saves an extra step, compared to the old ones. (RCBS sends the new, replacement handle gratis!) Second note is Darrell Holland purveys a "Rolls Royce" (my term) modification you may purchase as a whole unit, as well as an add on it for the stock unit. It beautifully controls primer seating depth, includes a dial indicator to read it out, too; and -- my favorite feature is a custom made spring which raises/keeps handle up when not in use. Darrell sells just the spring, and I am ever so happy I got it for mine! Darrel's at http://www.hollandguns.com/
Best! georgerkahnhttp://www.hollandguns.com/PrimerSeater.jpg

Rory McCanuck
03-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Does anyone here use this for priming? Yes.

If so, are you happy with it?Very!

There is a used one of these tools at a LGS for $60+/- so I'm thinking about grabbing it. Run, don't walk!

Am I correct in thinking that you cycle the handle, with no cartridge in the shell holder, to feed the primer and cycle it again with a case in place to seat the primer? It looks and sounds awkward, but after the first few it goes very well.

My only real complaint with it is that the handle must cycle a good bit lower than tool height to seat a primer.
This means that it either needs to be mounted on a pedestal (2x4 maybe?) or it needs to be mounted at the front edge of the bench. That means you now have a handle sticking out from the bench, right at belly height. To prevent disembowelling myself, I remove the bolt from the handle every time. I'd like to make up a new bolt with a pin to pull to remove the handle.

The above is just nit picking, the tool itself is truly a joy to use.

seagiant
03-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Member just put one up for $60, what a coincidence, so I have joined the club and will see how it goes. Not getting rid of my Lee Round Trays just yet. The plywood mount and C-Clamp makes sense.

Hi,
My LEE hand primers have sat in a box for years now after getting the RCBS!

My other favorite is my single feed Lachmiller!

jmort
03-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Love seeing some the museum pieces, I like that priming tool.

BDJ
03-13-2015, 05:21 AM
I use one, mine works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-638LgQp4gc

Pressman
03-13-2015, 06:35 AM
If there was/is any reloading tool that is near perfect in design and operation it is the RCBS bench primer. I have used one for years. I got it when the first Glock 17's became available and my department was issued them. I started pumping out 9mm's by the thousands for practice ammo to master the Glock. The RCBS tool made it FAST and easy to prime all those cases with out error.

Go for it,
Ken

youngmman
03-13-2015, 09:01 AM
This is a fantastic priming tool at a great price, Worth every penny.

Just to confirm, I have used one for 25 years or so and love it. Avoid the RCBS primer strip type though........big pain in the butt.

ascast
03-13-2015, 12:02 PM
yup, I also have used one for many years I have no complaints, it's the best out there. I have a vise mounted on the bench so most light duty tools like this one get mounted to a wood block, then into the vise for use. Also closer to the wood stove.

Alan in Vermont
03-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Well, I went to pick up the priming tool at the LGS today and came home without it. Turns out it wasn't $60 but $65, which by itself would not have been a deal breaker. It was missing both priming punches, I asked the owner if he had them, "Nope, that's the way it came in". Not even a hint that he might be open to any dickering. Screw it, I don't need it that badly so I'll watch evilbay and the S &S section here, sooner or later one will turn up at a reasonable price.

VHoward
03-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Go back and buy it quick. Then call RCBS on monday and they will send you the primer punches for it for free.

Alan in Vermont
03-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Go back and buy it quick. Then call RCBS on monday and they will send you the primer punches for it for free.

I know they will but the attitude I got was that was his price, take it or leave it. So I left it. He buys up estate lots and such, probably for pennies on the dollar. Just about all the reloading equipment he has, which isn't much, is well covered with dust or missing some parts and has been on the shelves for months. If I'm back by there in a couple months and it's still there I may throw a $50 offer at him. It's about 90 minutes rounds trip so it's not convenient to go there unless I happen to be down that way.

seagiant
03-14-2015, 10:14 PM
Hi,
I understand what you are saying!

You might want to go on the "wanted" site and put in a post here along with the pic of what you are looking for.

I like these RCBS primers so much that I will buy one if I see it at anything around $50! The one I have now I bought for $15 from a guy getting out of reloading and got the missing parts from RCBS!

VHoward
03-14-2015, 11:04 PM
I paid full price for mine, but that was back when they were $80. Now they are listed at $115 on rcbs' web site. They are selling for $90 at Midsouth right now. I don't regret paying full price. It was worth it.