PDA

View Full Version : New problem to me with a Lee 6 cavity

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-11-2015, 11:24 PM
I've owned and used Lee 6 cavity molds for years and I've never seen this problem, so thought I'd post it and see if any one has a solution I can implement without having to return the mold to Lee.

Here's the problem:

Brand new mold, 6 Cavity, #90692, 358-158-RF mold. Took it out of the box and started to clean it. Noticed the mold halves did not want to come apart easily as they normally do. Opened the sprue plate and using my hands, was able to separate the two halves of the mold for cleaning. I'm generally light handed and did not use force to do this, but rather "wiggled" it apart.

Cleaned the mold of manufacturing oils/preservatives using scalding hot water and dawn per normal. Inspected mold haves and noticed some flashing, which I removed carefully using an exacto knife. Made sure all flashing was removed and none was "left over" on the mold to get stuck somewhere and jam things.

Assembled the mold halves together and installed a set of Lee handles. In my mind, mold was ready for smoking, heating, lube and casting. The last thing I do before those things is a final check where I open the sprue plate, then confirm the mold will come apart as per normal with these molds.

This is where the trouble started. The locator pin closest to the end where the sprue plate is attached would not release and the mold halves would not separate. I went ahead and lubed the two locator pins with some bullplate lube. Didn't make a difference.

Did a visual inspection of the two pins, but couldn't see any rough machining either on the pins or in the pin bushings that would cause a hang up. Nor could I see any visual misalignment. I should quality this with my 55 YO eyes are not as good as they used to be and there may be something there I cannot see, but I looked closely without my glasses (I'm near sighted.) and still couldn't see anything.

I emailed Lee, but tech support said lube it and if that don't fix it, return it. Returning the mold will cost enough in shipping to make the mold non-economical. I'd rather fix it myself and start using it if I can.

Has anyone seen this sticking problem before and if so, were you able to fix it yourself and how did you do it? I can get the calipers out and start measuring, but I'm hoping this is a simple fix I can implement with some sandpaper or lapping compound, both of which I have on hand.

Thanks,

Dave

flyingmonkey35
03-11-2015, 11:33 PM
Ask Lee for a pre-paid RMA shipping label.

MT Chambers
03-12-2015, 01:25 AM
Punch locating pins in until molds will open freely, they have no lead to test them apparently!!

Echo
03-12-2015, 02:03 AM
Plus one on punching the pin until it doesn't stick anymore. If that doesn't work, back ot Lee...

03-12-2015, 06:30 AM
I recently had issues with a new Lee mold with the pins not being tight in the mold half. After casting a bit the first time, I started having issues, so I swapped to a different mold and when cooled went back and inspected the Lee mold. Found one pin had 'pushed' back in it's hole, causing problems.

I fixed it (so far after a few sessions, no issues) by driving the pin back into place and then staking it (actually both of them) to secure it. Not my preferred method, but I don't have quick and easy access to a lathe to make larger pins to stay put in the mold holes, so... I had to improvise a bit.

gunshot98
03-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Have you tryed just heating up the mold to see if that makes a difference?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Ask Lee for a pre-paid RMA shipping label.

Lee doesn't offer this. Instead, they want proof of purchase and want you to pay shipping. Shipping will be about half of what it costs to buy a new mold.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 09:22 AM
None of the suggested above worked, though through messing with it, it's plain it's a problem with the front alignment pin sticking.

bosterr
03-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Have you tryed just heating up the mold to see if that makes a difference?

This worked for me. Try heating to operating temp and re-lube. You have nothing to lose but a little time.

Bohica793
03-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Considering the time and effort you have expended in an effort to get this mold working, I would suggest you would have been better served spending the extra money for a quality NOE mold (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=1537 for example). I personally quit using Lee molds a while back for reasons very similar to the situation you have experienced. I found my time and stress level to be worth far more that the price difference.

Just my opinion and experience....YMMV

Harter66
03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
I have 1 that sticks a little cold but is fine once up to temperature. The "bump and wiggle" Lee shuffle is just SOP these days. I even have a NOE that is being contrary so it isn't a Lee exclusive, it might be me.

I would say get it hot and lube it again. Maybe run some steel wool over the pins and pockets first I have used dry spray graphite on sticky points or ride over points as a bandaid while the bits wear in.

Cmm_3940
03-12-2015, 10:44 AM
What about the retailer you purchased it from? Will they pay return shipping? Retailers usually give less grief than Lee.

flyingmonkey35
03-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Really I have never had Lee ask for proof of purchase.

Just a photo or two

Harter66
03-12-2015, 11:30 AM
It is likely for the 2 yr proof.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-12-2015, 02:02 PM
PM sent

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Considering the time and effort you have expended in an effort to get this mold working, I would suggest you would have been better served spending the extra money for a quality NOE mold (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=1537 for example). I personally quit using Lee molds a while back for reasons very similar to the situation you have experienced. I found my time and stress level to be worth far more that the price difference.

Just my opinion and experience....YMMV

What time and effort? All of the above took me a whopping 10 minutes. I don't stress about hobby tools I bought for cheap. As far as NOE or any other brand goes, they can have trouble in manufacturing variation too. I own more of their molds than I do Lees.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Okay, issue resolved. Turned out the bushings for the pins (the part the locator pins go into) either had burrs or some slight machining marks that were raised, but too small for my old eyes to see. I had a set of Swiss Files, but you could have used a deburring tool or even a case mouth deburring tool to clean the problem up.

I hit both bushings with a small round to clean out any possible machining marks, then used a half round file to remove any burrs. Sprayed down with WD40 to flush any filings and then dried with a Q-tip. Got better after doing one bushing, fully resolved after doing both bushings.

So another solution for one of Lee's minor issues.

Total time invested to correct: 30 minutes, including posting on the forum.

Total stress: None, because why be stressed by a toy that has an issue? Just fix it and get on with life. Let something important stress you out.

EDK
03-12-2015, 09:56 PM
YOU DONE GOOD

LEE moulds ain't H&G or NOE, BUT they are an entry level item that will serve you long and well with a bit of TLC.

You looked over the problem, did some trouble shooting, AND gave us a solution for similar problems.

Ben
03-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Owning a Lee mold will often times require the owner to do things similar to what you've described.

Some go into cardiac arrest when these things occur, the rest of us see it as part of owning an inexpensive bullet mold. We take the event in stride, we do the work that Lee didn't do during their manufacturing process and then we cast many thousands of bullets.

Ben

melloairman
03-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Okay, issue resolved. Turned out the bushings for the pins (the part the locator pins go into) either had burrs or some slight machining marks that were raised, but too small for my old eyes to see. I had a set of Swiss Files, but you could have used a deburring tool or even a case mouth deburring tool to clean the problem up.

I hit both bushings with a small round to clean out any possible machining marks, then used a half round file to remove any burrs. Sprayed down with WD40 to flush any filings and then dried with a Q-tip. Got better after doing one bushing, fully resolved after doing both bushings.

So another solution for one of Lee's minor issues.

Total time invested to correct: 30 minutes, including posting on the forum.

Total stress: None, because why be stressed by a toy that has an issue? Just fix it and get on with life. Let something important stress you out.

Glad it worked out for you . I keep a cheep magnifying glass on my casting bench at all times . To help my old eyes . Marvin

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Glad it worked out for you . I keep a cheep magnifying glass on my casting bench at all times . To help my old eyes . Marvin

Marvin,

I have a headset up in the cabinet with magnifiers I used to use in pistolsmithing, but I'd forgotten it was there. Going to have to get it out. Obviously, age causes forgetfulness as well.

My poor wife was quite frustrated when she forgot to put a smoked pork shoulder in the oven two days running to cook slow overnight. Last night I reminded her after she went to bed. She was quite aggravated with herself when she got up, so I carried on and funned her until she laughed so she'd get the shoulder in the oven and go back to bed in a good humor and sleep well. It worked.

Getting old ain't for sissies, but I thought this memory stuff started in one's sixties. Apparently it starts the moment the first grandchild is born and accelerates the process as another one is born. We're at ten now and those cute little buggers are aging us fast.:)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-13-2015, 06:58 PM
YOU DONE GOOD

LEE moulds ain't H&G or NOE, BUT they are an entry level item that will serve you long and well with a bit of TLC.

You looked over the problem, did some trouble shooting, AND gave us a solution for similar problems.

Thank you, but I can't take all the credit. I had a little help from a friend who pm'ed me.:)

quasi
03-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Dave, getting old does suck. I find sometimes my fingers can see what my eyes cannot, without an Optivisor. Next time run your fingers over the inside of the mold, most people can feel a .001 thou burr.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Dave, getting old does suck. I find sometimes my fingers can see what my eyes cannot, without an Optivisor. Next time run your fingers over the inside of the mold, most people can feel a .001 thou burr.

Yes, but one cannot get one's fingers into those tiny alignment pin bushings.

Frank V
03-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Dave glad you got it tuned up.
I'm considering a Lee .41 210gr tumble lube mould.
I've used Lee moulds for a number of years & generally good results.

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-16-2015, 08:25 PM
I usually "tune" all my molds before using them. Even new ones. Very slight burrs are often a problem eliminated with a very light application of a needle file. Many people have problems with their HP bullets not dropping off the HP pin. I always polish with 400 grit wet dry sandpaper, and coat with molybdenum disulphide (graphite works good too). As for alignment pins, as you found, I usually clean them up in the same way. Small imperfections our eye - even with magnifiers - can't see, make a difference. I often rely on "feel" over "visual" checks.

Glad you got your problem sorted out. I own MP and NOE molds, but still can make great bullets with those form Lee.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-17-2015, 07:42 PM
I usually "tune" all my molds before using them. Even new ones. Very slight burrs are often a problem eliminated with a very light application of a needle file. Many people have problems with their HP bullets not dropping off the HP pin. I always polish with 400 grit wet dry sandpaper, and coat with molybdenum disulphide (graphite works good too). As for alignment pins, as you found, I usually clean them up in the same way. Small imperfections our eye - even with magnifiers - can't see, make a difference. I often rely on "feel" over "visual" checks.

Glad you got your problem sorted out. I own MP and NOE molds, but still can make great bullets with those form Lee.

Charlie,

The way you describe your process is just about how I've gotten about any piece of equipment I buy from any where, including my firearms. I tune everything some, finding that little bit of extra attention cleaning up the minor imperfections is well worth the reward of a smoothly operating device in the long run. And getting any cleanup/tuning work out of the way in the front of the process allows me to move on and enjoy whatever it is I bought from then one without minor niggling problems tormenting me for no good reason.

castalott
03-17-2015, 08:58 PM
I usually put 1/2 a mold together. in your case assemble the pin that is a problem and not the other pin. the molds should look like a v V. .... Then you can rotate the tight pin and feel how tight. You can even put grinding compound or lube in there as you twist. This has worked out all my issues.

( I don't know how to explain it better....) Dale

gunoil
03-17-2015, 10:33 PM
If ya can since its working, sometimes in future try mold lube from donnie miculek. Bayoubullets.net. Clean and last long time.

rsrocket1
03-18-2015, 04:24 PM
I think you can mail the mold in a small flat rate box or a padded envelope. The 6 cavity mold costs about $40. I don't think it will cost $20 to mail it.

I had considered sending my old worn out mold to have it refurbished/replaced at half their retail price, but figured I might save $5 so I simply bought new molds.