PDA

View Full Version : S&w 645

Petrol & Powder
03-11-2015, 07:18 PM
The April edition of "The Blue Press" features the S&W 645 in the Classic Firearms section. That article reminded me of that great .45 semi-auto. I'm generally not a huge fan of S&W semi-auto pistols but I make exceptions for a few models like the 41, 52 and the 645.
The 645 was only made from 1985 to 1988 but it deserves its place in history. The pistol suffered from the frenetic pace of Smith & Wesson's model changes during those highly competitive days and after only three years it was replaced by the 4506.

The mid to late 1980's saw a huge amount of change on the handgun scene. The market was exciting with near constant development and introduction of new designs. The "Wonder-nines" were strongly present, Glock was making inroads, the Berretta M9 had just been selected by the U.S. military and .357 magnum service revolvers were hitting their pinnacle with the L-frame S&W's and Ruger GP-100's!
Into that world in 1985 came the S&W 645; a forged stainless steel DA, full sized .45 pistol from Springfield, MA. It was big and heavy but strong and accurate. The first time I held one I thought it was a boat anchor. A few minutes later after shooting it, I changed my mind forever. The 645 can shoot!
I don't currently own one but it remains on my wish list. Limited funds, priorities and other interests keep it just out of reach but I've always respected that S&W semi-auto pistol.

Petrol & Powder
03-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Allow me to point out the 4506 was also a fine gun. The sights were improved, the right safety was retained by a pin instead of a screw and it had a standard trigger guard as opposed to that re-curved thing on the 645. In many ways it was superior to the 645, it just wasn't the first edition. They are both great pistols in my book.

bouncer50
03-11-2015, 10:09 PM
I have a 4506 it just as good as my Sig 45 and my 1911 all of them are accurate and dependable.

Petrol & Powder
03-12-2015, 09:02 AM
I've always believed that if S&W had been able to introduced the 645/4506 platform a few years earlier the models would have developed a stronger foothold before the market became so crowded in the mid 1980's. Prior to the mid 80's there were very few DA 45ACP pistols available in the U.S. (the H&K P9S and SIG P220 come to mind). The high capacity DA 9mm pistols, AKA the "wonder-nines" were starting to come on the American scene but hadn't dominated the market yet. S&W still had a commanding loyalty in the law enforcement market.

S&W's strength has always been their revolvers and with the exception of some target guns like the models 41 and 52, their pistols have never been all that impressive to me.
The 645 wasn't a revolutionary design, in fact it is very conventional but it was one of the first U.S. made DA 45 caliber pistols that had some sales success. It's a large and heavy pistol, it is very accurate but expensive to produce and the timing of its release probably was the final nail in the coffin but it deserves its place in the sun.

Love Life
03-12-2015, 09:07 AM
The S&W steel autos are the bomb and can be had for good prices...for now. Whenever I buy one, I lay in a good parts supply for that model.

Petrol & Powder
03-12-2015, 09:33 AM
I kind of wish there were more 4506's out there, might drive the prices down a bit. A good clean, unmolested 4506 will generally set you back 5 bills and often more. I'm afraid you're correct Love Life, people are catching on to the steel framed big Smith's.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-12-2015, 09:56 AM
I was a range officer on a police department when we were going through the pains of searching for a good DA .45. The guys bought their own guns. I remember two (2) 645's, neither of them could get through the basic qual course without jamming. Then out came the 4506. We were not happy with Smith and Wesson then Massad Ayoob came to one of our conferences and said the 4506 Smith and Wesson's apology for the 645. I bought a 4506. This was I think my third .45 in less than 2 years. The 4506 worked. It shot great, had a great trigger, was solid, locked up well. I carried the 4506 for almost 10 years. Mine had a problem in that the front sight ramp was visible in the bottom of the rear sight notch. Also I knocked the safety into the on position a couple of times while firing, but I had installed a lighter spring on the safety after tearing the flesh off my thumb during repetitive draw and fire exercises. I talked to Smith and Wesson about that but all we did was talk. The big Smith's sure didn't feel sexy in the hand, kind of tanky but I trusted them. The 4006 is a great gun too if you like a 40.

Petrol & Powder
03-12-2015, 02:28 PM
There were growing pains and the 4506 was clearly better than the 645 but it was a time of near constant change in the handgun world.

AggieEE
03-12-2015, 02:47 PM
I have the 4516 as my CCW. My only real compliant is with the slide mounted safety, too many years with a 1911 I guess. The sights are regulated for about 7 yds, I would prefer it to be about 15 - 25, at 7 it's time to run as they're too close already.

seagiant
03-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Hi,
Well...You guys really rub me sometimes!

Start talking about one of the best pistols ever made and no pics!!!

Here's my 645 and no, it's not for sale!

Bullwolf
03-13-2015, 12:26 AM
Smith and Wesson 4506-1. Later style trigger guard, and adjustable sights wearing Hogue Grips. Not my pictures, but mine is the same model right down to the grips.

http://www.computerscheune.de/images/suw-4506-ll-1024.jpg

http://www.computerscheune.de/images/suw-4506-lr-1024.jpg

It's one of the last guns I would ever part with.

- Bullwolf

Catshooter
03-13-2015, 02:05 AM
With most of those third gen Smith autos you can load an empty into the mag and it'll feed either by hand or firing. Pretty impressive to watch.

I hate that Smith has started to drop production of their parts.

Cat

StrawHat
03-13-2015, 06:10 AM
I was given one when they first came out. I tried to like it but it was a self loader and I was/am a revolver kind of guy. Sold it with no regrets.

Kevin

Petrol & Powder
03-13-2015, 09:57 AM
With most of those third gen Smith autos you can load an empty into the mag and it'll feed either by hand or firing. Pretty impressive to watch.

I had a Beretta Model 92SB (Italian made mdl 92) that would feed empty brass with monotonous regularity. :smile:

Love Life
03-13-2015, 10:15 AM
They are good, solid guns. When they run out of ammo, they will make a good bludgeon.

I have been regularly buying parts for most of the models for a bit now as I have a few as does another family member of mine.

At this point in the game, the parts are still cheap.

Petrol & Powder
03-13-2015, 10:58 AM
They are good, solid guns. When they run out of ammo, they will make a good bludgeon.:bigsmyl2:

They are a bit heavy :grin: !
There are other guns higher up on my wish list but if I find a good 4506 at a decent price I would give it some thought. Back in the mid 1980's there were few DA 45 pistols available; SIG P220, H&K P9S, the Colt Double Eagle (late 1980's and not one of Colt's finer designs) and the S&W 645. I think Smith & Wesson's decision to get into that market (DA 45 pistols) was a game changer. Not because the design was revolutionary (it was a very conventional design) but because it was the first American double action 45ACP pistol that really saw some sales success.
I look at it like the small block Chevy engine. There were overhead valve V-8's prior to the Chevy small block but not many. After 1955 the market changed.

Love Life
03-13-2015, 11:59 AM
I feel they are a great buy for someone just getting into shooting who wants a strong, reliable, and accurate firearm. They are usually snubbed as being to heavy and old tech. Fine with me as I will buy them up when the price and opportunity is right. I do remove the magazine disconnect spring if the gun is so equipped. Knock of the sight, remove spring, done.

EDK
03-13-2015, 02:35 PM
I bought a pair of 645s in the late 80s. Sent one to Wayne Novak and his elves to tune up and install his sights. Got it back and sent Wayne the second. Got a MILT SPARKS HSR holster and a H&G 68 boolit mould. Later returned the slides and had BO-MARS installed. Shot the **** out of both for years without anything but recoil springs replaced.

They're coming out of retirement for my CCW...along with the S&W 625s. Things are getting a little rough around St Louis lately...and I'm not going to be a victim at age 66.

RKJ
03-13-2015, 09:33 PM
I wanted a 645 back in the 80's but after holding it in the store, decided it was too heavy for me. I really wanted to like it, but couldn't find the love. Got a SS GM instead and haven't looked back. But, if one came along I probably wouldn't turn my nose up at it now.

Petrol & Powder
03-13-2015, 10:45 PM
EDK- a 645 wouldn't be my first choice for a daily CCW but it would certainly get the job done!
Your mention of Milt Sparks brings back memories. For several years I used a Milt Sparks Summer Special to tote a Lightweight Colt Commander and I always liked that rig. That holster was a significant amount of money when I didn't have a lot of money but it was worth every penny.

Bullwolf
03-13-2015, 11:27 PM
Oddly enough, I owned the 645 (first) for a brief period. I couldn't say exactly what I didn't about the 645 as I generally do appreciate a squared trigger guard on a gun.

My 645 just looked odd to me, and it always felt awkward in my hand. Maybe it was the sights, the grip angle, or the plastic grips themselves, or even that stupid ugly looking screw head on the right side of the safety that kept coming off. Perhaps it was a combination of all those things put together. To be fair, I didn't really give it much of a chance.

http://www.utahgunexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/467987-500x334.jpg

Whatever it was though, I never quite warmed up to my 645, like I did the 4506.

It didn't help that at the same time, we had a 4506 rental gun in the case that I would run test loads through on days when I did not have a 45 on my person. The 4506 was always more accurate with the same loads, than my 645 was. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the gun. I actually qualified with the 4506 instead, while I still owned my 645. Of course none of that helped enamor me to my 645 either.

I eventually horse traded the 645 for something else I thought I wanted more. It was quite a while before I came back to the 4506, probably because of my bad experience with that 645. I'm somewhat embarrassed that it took me so long to do so, as the 4506 has been one of my favorites for quite a while now.

Yes, the 4506 is big and heavy, but it's built like a tank and it shoots like a ***** cat. If I'm wearing an auto pistol on my hip around the Ranch instead of a revolver, it's often the 4506. I'd be hard pressed if I had to pick between the 4506, and one of my 1911's... That's one of those decisions I never want to have to make.

- Bullwolf

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2015, 09:57 AM
The general consensus seems to be that the 4506 was the refinement of the 645, or the gun that the 645 should have been. There were some growing pains with the 645 but you have to start somewhere.

robg
03-14-2015, 10:14 AM
my bil had one but i prefer the745 myself

EDK
03-14-2015, 11:40 AM
I was smart enough to get belts from MILT SPARKS when they made the holsters 30 years ago. D*** belts either wore out or shrunk over the years! Need to contact the new people at Sparks or find someone else who knows how to make a heavy duty belt.

I worked in a power plant and they had a lot of overtime. I gave myself 10% for guns, horse gear, etc. AND got some nice stuff over the years. Quality stuff like Sparks leather is worth every penny. (Someone on eBay has some G. Wm Davis belts that I'm watching.)

BrianL
03-14-2015, 11:46 AM
I had one for a while and liked it. Traded for a new Springfield 1911