PDA

View Full Version : Copper tubing 308 bullet!

BT Sniper
03-10-2015, 03:10 PM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/017_zpszw9ooq0v.jpg (http://s636.photobucket.com/user/BTSniper/media/017_zpszw9ooq0v.jpg.html)

Got a 168 grain bullet here made from 5/16" copper tubing in a customer's 30 cal 10s ogive die. Got a really good close up pic here that shows a lot of detail, if I had tumbled the bullet for a half hour in the vibrating tumbler with some ceramic media it would have smoothed out the finish of the bullet perfectly, but I haven't got around to tumbling them yet :)

Anyway.... wow... that is an impressive looking jacket! Seems like it would make a heck of a hunting bullet! I may have compressed the nose slightly which might account for the jacket looking thicker at the nose??? I was attempting to see how small we can get the nose (meplat) of a bullet made with .030 thick copper tubing, the bullet you see here has a .095 meplat to it even though the die has a .062 nose capability. It would seem that getting the nose any smaller out of the die .......... well.... might not be possible but sure can't complain about the look of the bullet. The copper tubing might be a bit too soft to form any smaller then what I got here or......... the jacket sides simply came together and closed the hollow point not allowing it to close any further???? Either way I don't think it matters, I'm thrilled with the look of the bullet formed from scrap 5/16" copper tubing.

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian

BT Sniper
03-10-2015, 03:11 PM
p.s. the horizontal scuffs you see in the lead of the nose on the left side where from the end mill cutter as I sectioned the bullet in half.

GoodOlBoy
03-10-2015, 03:28 PM
that's awesome my man! I would be proud to shoot those

Richard

AggieEE
03-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Looks good. Can you do a 175 gr BT alla Matchking? If so then the big question, how much? Let us know how they shoot.

Bzcraig
03-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Impressive! I stay away from this forum cause I can't afford to hang out here!

BT Sniper
03-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Anything is possible.... yes even a 175 grain boat tail SMK bullet made from copper tubing. The meplat would be a little bigger using the copper tubing then commercial jackets.

Making bullets from copper tubing is about the same price as using quality RCE jackets. The labor involved is a lot more of course and the cost of the extra tooling to make the jackets from copper tubing would buy a lot of jackets but should the day come when no jackets are available then the one that can make bullets from scrap will still be shooting.

I do not wish to post pics here with the sole intention of generating sales, I simply wish to share what is possible when making your own bullets, and who doesn't like to look at pics of home made bullets! For those that are interested you can find prices listed on my vendor page or send me a PM inquire...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?183513-Available-products-and-current-prices

Thanks

BT