PDA

View Full Version : Redding C press

BigEyeBob
03-09-2015, 05:42 AM
Hi ,
I have the opportunity to pick up a second hand Redding C press that looks to be in good condition.
I will use it as a second reloading press and for other duties.

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with such a beast .
Id like to hear about them before I commit to buy it.
125AUD +postage seems a reasonable deal .

Kev

bobthenailer
03-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Dont have a Redding press ! just some dies & some other reloading equipment all top quality !

Dont know which model you have but current discount prices from Midsouth Shooter supply for .only the current Redding C presses are.

The Boss @ $122.73

Big Boss @$154.72

Big Boss II @$172.75

Ultramag @$279.19

IMO the price is too high, if in good condtion about 50% ! or less depends on condtion, off of the current above prices or less !

I have picked up a few RCBS Rockchucker used O presses for friends at my LGS for under under $40.00 the press sell's for $152.34 from MSS supply.

BigEyeBob
03-09-2015, 08:56 AM
This is the one I'm referring to .
I have an RCBS Rockchucker that I bought back in the late 70's Just looking for another press for light duty stuff
Prices quoted are in US dollars the postage would easily double the cost .
The big Boss is selling at $295AUD + postage here The T7 Turret press is $500+ The **** has fallen clean out of the Aussie dollar atm.
Its hardly worth importing due to the huge cost of postage (shipping you call it)

bobthenailer
03-09-2015, 09:35 AM
That is a oldie ! IMO no more than $40.00 but more like $25.00 ! all of the newer Redding and the RCBS presses are of the improved ,much stronger and desireable O type press.

salpal48
03-09-2015, 09:56 AM
I had One of those years ago. . Gave it to a friend. That press is very strong. The design of the handle is No accident. . That small bend in the handle acts as a lever to increase pressure. It can do anything a Rockchucker can do.
I have a rcbs now
In very good shape. This is not a light duty machine. many loader overlook it because it's a "C" design. But you will be surprised
Sal

seagiant
03-09-2015, 12:04 PM
I had One of those years ago. . Gave it to a friend. That press is very strong. The design of the handle is No accident. . That small bend in the handle acts as a lever to increase pressure. It can do anything a Rockchucker can do.
I have a rcbs now
In very good shape. This is not a light duty machine. many loader overlook it because it's a "C" design. But you will be surprised
Sal

Hi,
+1, Thats a nice press!!! Much like the Pacific!

mdi
03-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I have an old C-H "C" press that is pretty valuable on my bench. I use it for bullet sizing, priming (ram prime), decapping, and some case sizing. Really handy to have. I'd suggest any reloader with the room have a "simple" "auxiliary" press...

MattOrgan
03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Bob,

That model of Redding press is the first reloading press I ever purchased 40 years ago. I have been using it ever since and it is still tight and smooth operating. I can't say that about most other preses with as much use as the Redding. I have RCBS, Hollywood, Lee, Herter and LYMAN presses now and haven't seen any advantage to the O style presses for what I do which is everything short of swaging. The open front of the C press is a distinct advantage. Not knowing what an Australian dollar is worth, I don't know what kind of value the press you are looking at may be, but it's a great press in my experience.

Dan Cash
03-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Price wise, I don't know how it compares to similar presses in your area but as far as the press goes, you will find it to be as strong as your bench unless the bench is cast concrete. Also, the open front of a C press surely makes access to the ram & die a breeze. I would be inclined to buy it if it is priced comparably.

BigEyeBob
03-10-2015, 01:24 AM
Thanks all for the heads up .Used presses are far and few between . A few Aussie made Simplex turret presses around but mostly are clunkers and asking price is way over board .
I'll make an offer and see where it ends up .
40.00 wont get you a look at a rusted up wreck of a press here.

Kev.