PDA

View Full Version : Came darn close to a tinsel fairy visit - from ladle

RogerDat
03-09-2015, 02:43 AM
When I slid a cast iron ladle into Dutch oven full of lead and there was a rumble and thump from it that tossed some lead around the edges of the pot. Some splatters made it outside the pot. None of the splatter got anywhere near my leather welding gloves, leather apron, leather boots or face shield.

Only thing I can figure is the there was a coating of lead on the ladle, might have hade some moisture trapped behind it, was cold in the garage so maybe condensation formed.

I figure my mistake was not floating the ladle on the lead or resting above the pot long enough to get fully heated before slipping if under the surface. It sat there for a short time but not long enough to melt the lead coating the bowl or get hot enough to drive any moisture out from under that lead coating or pores of the cast iron ladle.

Figure I would mention my mistake as it is getting warmer and more people might be getting out to smelt ingots. That was a pretty solid forceful "thump". No way having experienced a ladle handle with "recoil" I'll make that mistake again.

mold maker
03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
First time I ever smelted in cold weather I made the same mistake. With all the clips and dross removed, I started to dip a cast ladle, to pour ingots. The cast ladle was clean, but cold from resting on the floor. As I passed it over the outer edge of the pot, the humidity from the gas flame condensed and like a dummy I started dipping.
The results was a deep rumble and molten lead spattering vigorously.
That was over 40 years ago, but the memory is still fresh.

Yodogsandman
03-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Been there, done that. That thump feels like a little depth charge. Now I make sure to lay the ladle on top of the alloy to heat it up good to dry out any condensation. All I got was a warning, like you did and I'm going to try to heed it.

lightman
03-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Ladles seem to be prone to collecting moisture. I have made a habit of laying mine on top of the melt before dipping it in the lead. I'm glad your visit was a soft one and you were not injured.

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-09-2015, 11:55 PM
The tensil ferry came to my house last week! I was smelting range lead down and used the new ingot mold from D Crocket for the first time. There was snow on the ground but it was warming up nicely so I went out to do some smelting. I put the molds next to the fire to warm them up and dry them out. Filled the first mold with no problems. Started pouring lead into the second one but didn't notice the drop of water that had apparently dripped off a tree into the mold. it started vibrating then an instant later bang! tensil ferry! Very scary. Didn't know I could move that fast. Luckily it was only a little bit like maybe a 1/4 pound but it definately gets your attention.

Scott

Bullwolf
03-10-2015, 03:30 AM
I don't like to put anything cold, especially cool metal into an already hot liquid alloy.

When casting or smelting I have a propane torch on the bench which I use for additional heat, as well as to preheat my implements. If I'm going to stir the melt with a slotted spoon, I preheat the cold spoon first. If I'm going to ladle pour, I make darn sure that I preheat the metal ladle before dunking it into the melt. Watch this especially so when it's cold and damp outside. (condensation)

I'll even add a caution for those who stir with a wooden stick. Wood pulls moisture right out of the air. Be careful if you stir your melt with a paint stick, or just some scrap of wood before you go and plunge it straight down into the melt be sure that the wood is dry. That hissing-bubbling-thumping sound is a warning, and you won't always get one first.

Failing that wear some safety gear, at the very least glasses to protect your eyes.

I'm not saying to cast lead in a full hazmat suit or anything like that, but your eyes are irreplaceable. Common sense gear after that is good, IE don't cast barefoot, or in polyester pants, or other clothing that will melt and stick to you. I like gloves, but they aren't for everyone, while others go as far as a leather welding apron and face shield.

When/If molten lead goes SPLAT - that safety gear is really nice to have on. Many lbs, or even a whole full pot of sprayed molten lead, is a lot different than some welding slag slowly burning a hole through your sneaker.

- Bullwolf

bangerjim
03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
When dipping from my re-melting pot for ingot making, I always pre-heat my ladle at the side of the pot in the plumber's furnace. Doing that can help prevent your experience and the potential thermal shock cracking of your CI dipper when it is thrust cold into that molten bath of lead.

Glad you were not burned!

banger-j