PDA

View Full Version : Old Marlin Lovers?

TXGunNut
03-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Finally got brave enough to fondle the old Marlins I posted about awhile back. Things were a little slow in the Gun Library so I took the opportunity to visit with the manager and fondle a couple that catch my eye every time I walk by.
First was a nice enough 94 in 32-20. Finish is quite good but the action was a bit gummy and would have benefitted from at least a cursory cleaning and some fresh oil. Things moved like I thought they should with no slop, tho. It's a conservative 70% gun, could even go 80% with a less conservative appraiser. The bore was dirty and rifling seemed sharp enough but I couldn't rule out moderate pitting, in fact I feel pretty sure it was at least somewhat pitted.
Right next to it was a 93 in 38-55 built in 1905. Very nice gun, probably 80% or better and obviously well taken care of. If was from the same collection as the 94 but it's action felt better and the bore was somewhat cleaner. Rifling was strong but I could see minor pitting and I'd be a little apprehensive about buying it for a CB shooter.
Both were in the $1300 neighborhood but I have no idea what kind of prices these guns normally bring. There was a 38-40 and a 32-40 in the rack but they didn't interest me much, looked a bit rough and abused. I'm a big fan of vintage Winchester leverguns but I can see a vintage Marlin finding it's way into the stable soon. I like semi-modern Marlins but these older Marlins seem to be quite different from my 10-20 yr old Marlins. I really like what I saw and handled tonight. My resolution to not purchase additional rifles this year may be in trouble. ;-)

freebullet
03-09-2015, 02:26 AM
You said- "My resolution to not purchase additional rifles this year may be in trouble."

That resolution sets you up for failure. Maybe next year try setting a cap on the number.

If you go through your collection and pick out a few to let go of you won't have to feel bad about buying more. I do that every few years. That way I'm not hanging on to guns I didn't intend as forever pieces or just didn't care for.

I like most of them. What I'd be willing to pay is why I don't have more. I'd be open to any I found a deal on.

I'd like to explore a 44-40 sometime.

BrentD
03-09-2015, 04:30 AM
I really like the old Marlins. I think they are a little more accurate and stronger than similar Winchester actions. They are a whole lot easier to work on. And cleaning from the breech is a 1-screw proposition - far easier than a Winchester. I have about 5 of them now. 4 are old, vintage guns in old vintage condition. But the 5th was a vintage gun (Model 1895 circa 1899) in basket-case condition, so I've been restoring that one to something like new condition. I'm getting close to do, just need to polish and rust blue the barrel.

It will be a .45-70 and I will take moose hunting this fall.

If I get courageous, I might take my first attempt at checkering too.

Now I have a 39a, 2 1893s, 1894 and this 1895

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/Marlin/Marlin%201895/Marlin%2095%20action%20left%20colored.jpg

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/Marlin/Marlin%201895/Marlin%2095%20action%20right%20colored.jpg

dave roelle
03-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Outstanding Brent-----------looking forward to seeing it completed. I've been looking for a lever gun project "basket case", one will show up :)

Dave

woody1
03-09-2015, 12:54 PM
WOW. That is flat gorgeous! Regards, Woody

yooper
03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Doug Turnbull would be envious! Nice job on the color case.
yooper

West Creek
03-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Who did the color hardening?

BrentD
03-09-2015, 04:16 PM
classic gun in Illinois they Google pretty easy if you want to find them.

TXGunNut
03-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Beautiful job on the 1895, Brent!
Forgot to mention, there was quite a bit if CCH left on that 93 after 110 years. The beautiful colors on your project gun reminded me. I have a Winchester that's slated for restoration whenever I can rake a big enough pile of cash together. For now it's a pretty sweet shooter.

BrentD
03-09-2015, 10:35 PM
To be honest, I think the colors are a little over the top. I sometimes think less is more, so I have often rubbed down new colors with a hand covered with Simichrome. I do it by just handling the gun like normal but for 10-20 minutes. That takes color off the high points and places where wear normally is highest and leaves it in the inside corners and so forth. This time, however, I have not done that. I may do it yet, but since the rest of the gun is going to be effectively new condition, and there is no engraving, I'll wait and see how it looks when fully assembled.

I'm glad you all like the colors though. I was quite pleased with them. This gun had numerous and large holes drilled in the receiver ring, but a talented friend welded them up for me. He does really good work.

For those looking to have an action colored, I strongly recommend Classic Guns in Illinois. You can google them easily with the words, Classic Guns Case Color. Their prices are about the same as everyone else's but their turn around is normally very fast. This one took 10 days from dropping in the mail to having it delivered to my house. If it wasn't for the weekend, it would have been done in 8.

Anyway, good folks that know what they are doing.

Some 70" bull moose is really not going to like this rifle I think.

Many thanks for the compliments. I hope you all like the final product as well.

Brent

TXGunNut
03-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Take good care of yourself, Brent. The colors will fade in good time but you'll have to stick around (and maybe go after a few more moose) to make this old gun show a bit of her age again. Just think, after we're long gone someone will be fondling our treasures and wondering about the adventures we had with them...and your 1895 will still be one great looking rifle!

Trinidad Bill
03-13-2015, 08:48 AM
I love the old Marlins and have a few of the old 1893s, 38-55, 30-30, and 32-40. The are easier to work on than Winchester.

However, buy them now! In the short time I have been collecting the prices have shot up. They will continue to go up.

pls1911
03-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Nice to see this bleed over from the Marlin Owners site, focused on those of us who cast and prefer the older iron.
I've sidelined my affliction for Marlinitus, having run out of safe room for the third time.

It's time for me to focus on the few "Cinderella Salvation" cases which remain unfinished. There remain a few voids in the 1893 through 1957 series, so I still keep a selective eye open.

The older guns indeed have a character and patina lacking in newer guns, each with a unique personality and untold stories hidden in the creases and cracks of old walnut stocks.

It is truly rewarding when these guns are again taken into the field with cast bullets, and after 60 to 100+ years and display smooth actions and excellent accuracy.

On those special days, old men smile and giggle... a lot!

TXGunNut
03-13-2015, 11:19 PM
There truly is something about the feel of an older Marlin's action. These two are the first I've handled but I could tell they were well made, just like Winchesters of that era.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-14-2015, 05:54 AM
The two you are interested in could be good value, and there is no doubt about the quality of those old Marlins. But anybody selling a gun for that sort of money ought to present with the bore and action clean enough to give you a really good idea of what you are getting

TXGunNut
03-14-2015, 02:20 PM
The two you are interested in could be good value, and there is no doubt about the quality of those old Marlins. But anybody selling a gun for that sort of money ought to present with the bore and action clean enough to give you a really good idea of what you are getting

I agree. Every gun shop I've ever frequented seems to comply with an unwritten rule against cleaning used guns before selling them. I understand the reasons behind it but I'll pass on a rifle if I can't determine the condition of the bore. I bought an old Winchester rifle in this condition awhile back and when clean it was obvious that the bore was badly pitted and unsuitable for cast boolit shooting. I think I'd be OK with the 38-55 but I won't take a chance on the 32-20, I already have one that needs a liner. Don't need another.

TXGunNut
03-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Got better look at that 38-55 today, seems I missed the price tag last weekend. $2599. It's a nice rifle but I don't think it's quite that nice.

BrentD
03-16-2015, 07:21 AM
I watched a junker of a Marlin .32-20 sell for $1500 in Nebraska on Saturday. It was beyond ridiculous, but someone did it.

TXGunNut
03-16-2015, 10:48 PM
I watched a junker of a Marlin .32-20 sell for $1500 in Nebraska on Saturday. It was beyond ridiculous, but someone did it.

I have no feel for vintage Marlin prices at all, just want to look them over a bit for now and learn what to look for. Some Winchester prices defy explanation as well. I've seen rifles not nearly as good as mine going for 2-3 times what I paid for them in the last few years. Hard to say if it was the auction excitement in Nebraska or if maybe he knew something we don't. It's a mystery to me, my checkbook will stay home until I get a better understanding of it.

BrentD
03-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Well, let's just say that either the buyer (and his competition) were a little out of control. I've been buying marlins for a little while now. No expert for sure, but enough to know that even if that is a long barrel on that rifle, it wasn't worth half that.

TXGunNut
03-16-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm out on junkers but I understand smiths and collectors are paying serious money for some as parts guns...but not $1200. Where in NE?

BrentD
03-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Somewhere over near Lincoln I think. Friend of mine was there. It was $1500

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2541&aid=92204&lid=23630305&title=Marlin-1894-.32-20c-Rifle

northmn
03-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Seems like Marlin's are starting to gain collector value. I picked up an older waffletop with a Redfield sight a couple of years ago for $275. One of those situations where I could not let is pass although I needed a 30-30 carbine like I needed a hole in the head. Did the same with my 35 Remington. $400 or 450 for a 24" barreled half magazine waffletop. Use it quite a bit. built about the same year I was born. The older ones do give one some satisfaction when used. None are closet queens.

DP

enfield
03-17-2015, 07:43 PM
I have Winchesters and Marlins and I find the Marlin is a much smoother working action and a lot easier to disassemble for cleaning. That square bolt looks nicer too in my opinion. I cant recall ever seeing a Marlin in a western though ?

BrentD
03-17-2015, 08:01 PM
enfield, if you look closely, you will see them. I've been looking for a year or two and I can find them now. They are usually carried by the Mexicans and the extras in the background. There aren't many of them, but they are there.

ndnchf
07-23-2015, 03:50 PM
I haven't had a Marlin since I was 14 when my dad gave me an old 39A. That was 45+ years ago. But lately I've had a hankering for a .32-20 lever gun. I've had a lot of Winchester levers over the years, but know nothing about the old Marlins. I don't want a new one, but am considering an old one, 100+ year old is my comfort zone. So what can you all tell me about the Marlin levers from the late 1800s? Strong/weak points, things to look for in a .32-20 etc. Not looking for a collector piece, but a good shooter. Thanks - Steve

BrentD
07-23-2015, 03:52 PM
ndnchf - Nothing finer than an old 94 Marlin.

historicfirearms
07-23-2015, 04:05 PM
I haven't had a Marlin since I was 14 when my dad gave me an old 39A. That was 45+ years ago. But lately I've had a hankering for a .32-20 lever gun. I've had a lot of Winchester levers over the years, but know nothing about the old Marlins. I don't want a new one, but am considering an old one, 100+ year old is my comfort zone. So what can you all tell me about the Marlin levers from the late 1800s? Strong/weak points, things to look for in a .32-20 etc. Not looking for a collector piece, but a good shooter. Thanks - Steve
I have one that matches your description. One thing to look at is bore condition. A lot of the early 32-20s were shot with black powder and not cleaned well. My bore is dark but it still shoots well, better after a little muzzle clean up.

Blackwater
07-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Brent, anyone who doesn't swoon at THAT rifle, when you git-r-done, isn't really a "gun nut!" Really nice work, sir!

BrentD
07-23-2015, 05:39 PM
There will be no swooning. It broke. Twice. It is finished.

Scharfschuetze
07-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Sorry to hear that it broke BrentD. It looked like a real labor of love. What broke?

Here's an 1893 that's been in the family for four generations now. It's been a fine cast bullet shooter (311041) and is accurate to past 200 yards on small reactive targets. Fine bore, wood and metal, but the case hardened receiver has been bleached by the sun and the blueing is well worn from carry and use. It's action it is butter smooth and is really heads and shoulders above my newer Marlins.

BrentD
07-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Case colors don't bleach or fade. They just wear away or wash away from acidic moisture. That's a nice one. Much like my 93. But I have no family connections for it as I bought it a few years ago.

ndnchf
07-23-2015, 09:55 PM
I've got my eye on a nice 1889 with an excellent bore. Anything in particular I should be looking at?

TXGunNut
07-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Hmmmm....since ndnchf has revived the thread I'll give an update. I told my shooting buddy about the 93 and he gathered up some trading material and brought her home. Very nice rifle, gave him a few of my Lyman boolits to try along with some he's found and it seems to be a sweet shooter. He's hoping to shoot it this weekend but life keeps getting in the way for both of us. 32-20 was still there last weekend when I picked up a 32WS Winchester 94 that I couldn't put down. I fondled that 32-20 again but couldn't talk myself into it, can't say why. Got a PM from a new member asking for particulars so hopefully he'll give her a good home and she won't be begging me for a ride home. I think the 32-40 is still there as well.

kjorgy
07-28-2015, 08:07 AM
I collect the old Marlin lever actions & the old model 1895 is my favorite. I have every caliber taht was chambered in the 1895's. They are accurate guns & easy to work on

ndnchf
07-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Well after much searching and thought, I pulled the trigger on a nice M1889 in .32-20 with a round barrel and mint bore. I should be getting it late next week. Now to start gathering .32-20 loading supplies.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/ndnchf/BPCR/M1889%20Marlin/1_zpshtf5hdfq.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ndnchf/media/BPCR/M1889%20Marlin/1_zpshtf5hdfq.jpg.html)

kjorgy
07-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Nice looking marlin!

TXGunNut
07-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Eye candy! Very nice indeed, ndnchf. Tang sight to boot. Congrats. My 32-20's like NOE's version of the 314008 and the Lee TL 90 grainer.