PDA

View Full Version : MEC 250! Anyone still using one?

seagiant
03-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Hi,
Found one of these (in poor condition) and had a question if someone still has one they are using?

Here is a pic of one, NOT the one I"m getting!

borg
03-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Looks like the Mec 600 Jr, most parts interchange with different models.
A good, basic press

seagiant
03-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the bump! The MEC 250 is different than the 600 Jr. as it uses a "floating" sizer sleeve and a "floating" wad guide!

Still looking for a owner that uses one!

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/Images/document/250.pdf

firebrick43
03-10-2015, 01:34 AM
The primer cup is a station over as well? Are they dispensing powder over where the primers set?

seagiant
03-10-2015, 01:50 AM
The primer cup is a station over as well? Are they dispensing powder over where the primers set?

Hi,
You are correct,even though I do not see a problem with that.

MEC changed that on the 600 Jr. by putting it to the right. One good thing with that is it allowed room to put a primer feeder on the 600 Jr.!

It's interesting to see the improvements in these loaders from the 250, 310, 400, 500,and 600 models!

firebrick43
03-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Wouldn't it be possible when seating the wad and for some reason the primer cup assembly bound causing everything to go off? Friends 600 jr caused a primer to go off due to spilt powder and years of grunge. Of course it was just a primer not the powder as well!

seagiant
03-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Wouldn't it be possible when seating the wad and for some reason the primer cup assembly bound causing everything to go off? Friends 600 jr caused a primer to go off due to spilt powder and years of grunge. Of course it was just a primer not the powder as well!

Hi,
Never seen or heard of such a thing! IMO shotshells prime easier than metallic cartridges???

borg
03-10-2015, 07:59 PM

A dollar to a donut he had a piece of shot in the primer cup.

Terryfromok
03-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Haven't used it in years. I cut my teeth in reloading one of those. We went to the 600 when paper shells went out. We changed it to load .410 shells. It's still in that configuration. It's a good press.

seagiant
03-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Haven't used it in years. I cut my teeth in reloading one of those. We went to the 600 when paper shells went out. We changed it to load .410 shells. It's still in that configuration. It's a good press.

Hi Terry.
I have question, the "floating" wad guide. Does it stay on the tube/ram after seating the wad by the indent going around the tube and the fingers of the wad guide grabbing that to stay on the tube/ram???

Just trying to understand how the wad guide works in the scheme of things!

My first shotshell reloader was a MEC 600 Jr. and there was no "floating" sleeve/resizer or "floating" wad guide!

Terryfromok
03-10-2015, 10:48 PM
First the empty shell is slid into shell sleeve. Set at station 1 to set the old primer knocked out and the brass sized. A primer is put into the primer seater. The deprimed shell/sleeve is moved to station 2 to have the new primer pressed in. With the ram in the down position, slide the charge bar to dispense the powder. Slide the wad guide down off the ram on top of the empty shell/sleeve. Raise the ram, place the wad in the wad guide. Lower the ram to press in the wad. Slide the charge bar to dispense shot. Raise the ram. The wad guide fingers should catch the groove in the ram to keep it from falling off. Move the shell/sleeve to the crimp station to complete the load.
I hop this helps.

seagiant
03-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Hi,
Yes it does thanks!

I was basicly trying to figure out how the wad guide remained on the tube/ram after the shot was dispensed into the wad!

I'm also looking at a Mec 310 which still uses the "floating" sleeve/sizer and the wad guide!

I have a Lachmiller from the early 60's to go with them that I rebuilt. Admittedly it is slow but makes a very nice shell!