PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Winchester 94 (Post-64) Metal

davidheart
03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Ok, so I recently traded into a buddies Winchester 94 and it has a couple bluing blemishes. Instead of prepping the small area and touching up with Oxpho-Blue as I started sanding I saw a beautiful metal underneath. Suffice to say.... now almost the entire gun has been prepped and blue removed. (whoops)

But it looks great! The stock is a dark wood with some nice marbling and the raw steel in contrast with the dark stock is really attractive! Instead of rebluing this entire gun how might I preserve this steel? I don't want a high polish shine (matte, for hunting applications) but I really like the steal look. I know it's not stainless so I have to do something...

If y'all don't know a way I could protect the stainless (without me spending an arm and a leg) my other option would be aluma-hyde, cerekote or something similar in a light color. I would prefer the steel though.

All input appreciated!

mj2evans
03-08-2015, 05:37 PM
I think duracoat sells a "clear" protective finish that is intended to go over base color but don't see why you could not use it alone. However, most paint like coatings like a rough surface hence they usually want a sandblasted and sometimes parkerized surface as a base.

HeavyMetal
03-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Duracoat also makes several stainless steel looking coatings, I've used the Titianum a couple times and it finishes out like brushed stainless steel.

It's also pretty hard and easy to touched up if needed.

nicholst55
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
A lot of guys use automotive clear coat for applications like this, too.

davidheart
03-08-2015, 09:22 PM
A lot of guys use automotive clear coat for applications like this, too.

Automotive clear coat?

So how would I rough the metal up to apply said coatings? I don't have a sand blaster. Just good ol' sand paper. :)

BrianL
03-08-2015, 09:53 PM
You are lucky. I have a Mdl 94 Classic Rifle that has the black chrome peeling and the shiny silver chrome in under it. Totally destroyed any collector value but it sure does shoot nice.

davidheart
03-08-2015, 10:00 PM
You are lucky. I have a Mdl 94 Classic Rifle that has the black chrome peeling and the shiny silver chrome in under it. Totally destroyed any collector value but it sure does shoot nice.

I've heard about that sort of finish. That's a bummer. What models had this? Mine was supposedly made in 1980 and the metal under the bluing looks fantastic! The rest of the gun does not appear cheaply made at all and has only a half-cock hammer safety. I picked up a Williams FP for it.

BrianL
03-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Mine also has the Williams and as I said, it shoots great. I shot my first deer with it back in 1975. I have heard that a lot of the commemoratives had the black chrome over nickle chrome. Not much you can do with it when it starts to peel. Nice thing is that it still won't rust.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-09-2015, 01:17 PM
I could probably write a book on refinishing '94s, having been a gunsmith for 30+ years and now retired, but I'll try not to do so here. First, since you list your location as "South US" I have to assume that there is high humidity. That's bad on unprotected steel. I do understand you liking the "look", as my dad owned a very early '94 back in the 1950s that had a very light blonde walnut stock and he completely removed what little bluing remained, and used to get compliments and offers to buy all the time. The problem is though, that rust is the mortal enemy of firearms, and your metal needs some protection. My dad got away with just keeping a light coat of oil on the metal surfaces and wiping it down now and then, but we lived in the West and not the South. There are clear coatings, as the other posters have indicated, that will work. On some firearms where I wanted to keep one or two component parts "in the white" I've used clear spray lacquer, available at any paint or hardware store. However, it can scratch or flake under some conditions. Another approach you might consider is a carnuba wax like Trewax brand paste wax. It was originally developed for use on hardwood floors, and comes in both clear and sand color, and of course you'd want the clear. One can is just about a lifetime supply for most guys. Just pry the lid off and place your index finger on the wax for a few seconds, and the heat of your finger will melt a small amount. Rub it around in a circular motion over the metal to fill any microscopic pits and imperfections and then let it dry for about 15 minutes, then buff it with a soft cloth. Were you to do this with a certain regularity it would probably be enough to preserve your firearm's appearance. Be sure to get it between the magazine tube and bottom of the barrel. It doesn't hurt anything if you get it on the wood, and in fact helps the wood as well. I have several firearms preserved entirely with Trewax, metal and wood, and I just buff them off monthly and add a little if needed. If you use too much and get a build up it's easy to strip off from the metal with something like lacquer thinner or even bore solvent. Probably, though, you'd be better served to put a more permanent finish on the rifle, and I'd take a hard look at Brownell's AlumaHyde II spray paint. Properly done it makes a very durable and attractive finish.

Frank46
03-10-2015, 12:08 AM
Might be your what you are looking for, but some years back saw a 94 that had been parkerized and the wood refinished to look like a military rifle. It did have some pitting and appeared to have been bead blasted prior to being refinished as the edges of some parts instead of having sharp edges looked to have been rounded off by the bead blasting. Looked pretty nice though. Frank

davidheart
03-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Thank you Der. I'm really concerned about surface rust when I go hunting. We do have plenty of humidity here in the summer but even when hunting in the winter I found the misty morning would cause one of my guns to surface rust ON THE HUNT! The bluing was absolutely horrible on that gun.

Anyway, I'll look for the Trewax and I am deeply considering the AlumaHyde II. I just don't want it to look cheap or cheesy.

Geezer in NH
03-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Matte Rustoleam Black looks good and refinishes easy. Very practical. A lot of heavy use gun types i.e. trappers boatman use it. I use it on many of my hard use guns even when new!

BrianL
03-11-2015, 08:03 PM
QUOTE=davidheart;3170908]I've heard about that sort of finish. That's a bummer.[/QUOTE]

This is what the peeling looks like. Don't know if there is any way to strip it all, or what is under it.
133618133619133620[