PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Website

TXGunNut
03-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Back before I discovered CB's I was a big fan of Hornady bullets and at one time consulted their website often for load info. I have a couple of their manuals but they are pre-LVR. I especially like the version that had a second volume for ballistic tables. I realize that's silly in this day and time but I hand-amortize a couple of loans this time of year, just glad it's only two these days.;-)
I was doing a little research yesterday and tried to go to the Hornady site for load data on LVR powder for the 32WS. I thought I was doing something wrong but finally realized load data was no longer on the site. The Hodgdon site had minimal info on this cartridge, nothing on LVR even though it is obviously suitable for this cartridge.
For those of you that have the 9th edition of the Hornady manual, is it worth it? I haven't bought a loading manual yet this year other than the Hodgdon annual and I promptly misplaced that. I'm a big fan of Hornady brass and have a long history with their hunting bullets but I'm a bit underwhelmed by my 7th edition Hornady manual. I liked the load data format and product info on the site, I wish they'd bring it back.
Yes, I know I can use 30-30 data safely in the 32WS but I'm looking for data in the 2200-2300fps range and I feel this is where the 30-30 and the 32WS begin to diverge and the 32WS really shines. I've yet to find a manual that recognizes that difference and I doubt the latest Hornady is any different. I'll buy one later today but I still miss the data on the site.

bhn22
03-08-2015, 01:01 PM
You obviously have a computer, have you considered looking at the powder manufacturers websites for loading data? I don't recall seeing loading data on Hornadys site, but I have a lot of manuals, and access to the powder manufacturers websites, so I probably missed Hornady having data on their site at one point.

TXGunNut
03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Yes, as mentioned above I consulted the Hodgdon site. Will consult the Alliant site if I get serious about the Rx7 powder. I liked the earlier version of the Hodgdon site and feel the Hornady format was quite good as well. I guess someone at Hornady decided publishing and maintaining the load info on the site was a thankless task and likely impacted the sales of their manuals. I have (and use) several manuals, I guess this is as good an excuse as any for another. I prefer a hard copy over electronic data so will likely use print manuals as long as they're available.

Jupiter7
03-08-2015, 05:18 PM
I like the #9 manual but have always considered their load data conservative. Just one of many tools in the toolbox.

bhn22
03-08-2015, 08:46 PM
I have to agree with you about having BOOKS on hand. I'll probably never acclimate to the new electronic age. After rereading my original post I'd like to apologize for the snippy tone. It wasn't there when I wrote it, but it's definitely there now. An older manual you would probably appreciate, if you don't already have it, is Hodgdons last bound manual, published before the magazine format, it's #27, and is loose leaf, rather than fully bound. The idea was that Hodgdon would offer updates to the manual, making it more of a "living" book than anything. Unfortunately, they never followed up on it. Pity... Another suggestion for lever actions is a publication from Wolfe Publishing several years ago "The Legacy of Lever Actions". It's a great read, and very well written. I didn't feel the same about its sequel a few years later. It's probably still available too. Then there's Ken Waters "Pet Loads".

TXGunNut
03-08-2015, 10:44 PM
No need to apologize, I had been PM'ing on this subject earlier and quite honestly thought I'd left it out of the OP. Had to re-read it and make sure I'd mentioned it. I'm not a big fan of electronic loading manuals because I think they encourage new reloaders to simply input data and receive data without the background info many of us find so valuable. I like the Hodgdon site but in some cartridges I'm familiar with the charges listed are somewhat over what I consider maximum so whenever I can I tell folks they truly are max loads to approach with caution.
I picked up the 9th edition of the Hornady manual tonight, perused a store copy of the 8th edition and bought a replacement copy of the Hodgdon annual I "lost". Found it when I got home, of course. :-)
Can't recall seeing the 27th edition you mention, will keep an eye out for it. Thanks.
One gem from the Hodgdon annual is that the 32WS apparently likes CFE223 in the velocities I'm trying to achieve. That was a bit unexpected but just the type of thing that keeps me buying manuals. I've seen a bit of it around and have read good stuff about it. Killed an hour or so in a coffee shop with the annual reading about this year's new powders and the 26 Nosler. Articles on the new Enduron line of IMR powders were interesting and worth a read but quite frankly the 26 Nosler article is of little value to the dedicated CB'er. The Enduron seems to take some of the traits of Hodgdon's Extreme powders and adds a few other features & benefits. Pretty interesting stuff but will need to study up a bit more.

tdoyka
03-09-2015, 12:30 AM
my hornady handbook was the 4edition. for years it was my constant companion. then 3 or 4 years ago i got the 8edition. its alright i guess.

Dhammer
03-09-2015, 12:56 AM
I have found reloaders nest can have some useful info.

TXGunNut
03-09-2015, 08:55 PM
my hornady handbook was the 4edition. for years it was my constant companion. then 3 or 4 years ago i got the 8edition. its alright i guess.

I didn't see much difference between 8th & 9th editions.