PDA

View Full Version : Ouestion's about brass or copper jackets to swage bullets

Dakoma
03-08-2015, 03:51 AM
I see some great bullets made like from 9mm brass a lead core and swaged into some very nice looking 40cal. bullet's , my question is there any difference in barrel wear from brass jackets than copper jackets and how is the accuracy ?

Pipefitter
03-08-2015, 09:15 AM
As for the barrel wear, Most jacketed bullets have a jacket made of gliding metal, 95% copper/ 5% zinc. Cartridge brass is usually 70% copper/30% zinc. Zinc reduces the coefficient of friction in copper alloys, so 70/30 brass will have a lower coefficient of friction than 95/5 brass.
There are more factors involved in barrel wear than the composition of the jacket, flame temperature, pressure, rate of fire all come to mind. (A machine gun barrel will wear out much quicker than a rifle barrel of the same caliber)

As far as accuracy is concerned I can see little to no difference in my handguns between gliding metal jackets and cartridge brass jackets.

Dakoma
03-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Thank you , I am going to give it a try and just needed for peace of mind those answers you give me !

Utah Shooter
03-15-2015, 12:43 AM
Pipefitter said it pretty well. I would only add that if you are shooting high competition then going with cartridge brass jackets may hinder you a bit but not for what I shoot that is for sure.