PDA

View Full Version : Horrer of horrers

JDHasty
03-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Three weeks ago our 85 year old gunsmith buddy injured his back lifting a lath chuck.

Total perfectionist that disassembled the chucks weekly to clean all the chips out, just because that is what Beretta taught him to do before the Nazis pirated him of to Germany for the duration of WW2.

My other, now retired, gunsmith buddy used to go up and help him once a week to "catch up." Then afterwards he did our machine work. He can do great work, but....

He didn't volunteer to show up and make parts orders from Brownells, mount scopes, "bore sight" rifles and clean rifles and do other things that keep a gunsmith afloat in order to have access to a machine shop. He did that as a favor. But it did allow us access to a machine shop. More that that it provided us with "continuing education."

We're screwed. I'm guessing that the lath chuck that really seriously injured our perfectionist gunsmith's back is the straw that breaks the camel's back this time and he may take his wife's counsel and retire for good.

What good is it to be a "gun crank" without access to a machine shop? Our fascination with what Remchester has to offer started on it's steady slide to disinterest about the time we stopped wearing three cornered pants.

The fun in putting your ideas to work is to sit around and shoot the bull about them and then work together to get the hardware built. It gives everybody an investment interest in seeing what comes out of it.

Let's be clear about where I am coming from, C.S. Landis and Donaldson (idea men) were not sitting and cogitating and then commissioning a gunsmith to execute their vision, they were actively shooting the bull with Marciante and Killborn and other skilled craftsmen who were also "idea men." Then it was into the shop to put the idea together and then see if we were right or wrong at the range.

So... on the up side, this just may be the incentive I needed to clean out the garage and get rid of everything in order to fit a Craftsman (Atlas) lath and knee mill into my humble abode. That is what I have thought about for a long time, but without having our mentor looking over our shoulder it is a voyage into uncharted waters. Barrels and other parts are expensive and oh so many times that perfectionist has kicked us right squarely in the region in which it would do the greatest good.

The good that can come from this is that we are finally going to have to reach down and grab our own bootstraps and actually develop the skills needed to recognize what he was kicking into our backsides on our own. The appreciation of recognizing that you cannot leave anything you have control over to chance, the experience to recognize where you have control and then the patience to take maximum advantage of every bit of precision your machine tools have to offer. All of this without us looking over our shoulder and seeing his boot headed our way and his hands holding the reins that said: whoa, let's think about this for a bit longer before taking away metal you can't put back.

lefty o
03-08-2015, 02:28 AM
you can always take some night machinist classes at the local community college.

M-Tecs
03-08-2015, 03:46 AM
Total perfectionist that disassembled the chucks weekly to clean all the chips out, just because that is what Beretta taught him to do before the Nazis pirated him of to Germany for the duration of WW2.

Interesting story. How old was he when he started his apprenticeship with Beretta and what did he do for them? What type of labor did the German's have him doing? Was he a Axis guest worker or the later Allied forced worker? A couple of my Dad's friends were in the German labor camps. Very interesting history.

JDHasty
03-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Interesting story. How old was he when he started his apprenticeship with Beretta and what did he do for them? What type of labor did the German's have him doing? Was he a Axis guest worker or the later Allied forced worker? A couple of my Dad's friends were in the German labor camps. Very interesting history.

I believe he was 15 when he started. I will refresh on the rest of his story the next time I see him.

Ragnarok
03-08-2015, 11:43 AM
At one time..we had a superb gunsmith within driving distance. He could do it all..rebore barrels..fit new barrels..color case-harden..reblue...he did excellent work....almost equal to or maybe as good as Turnbull on lever-guns but much much cheaper.

He got old and died!

Nothing comparable nearby now...

joesig
03-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Retired doesn't mean he forgot everything he knew. Pick his brain for anything and everything. He will still be involved and enjoy it without being too involved.

You were bound to pick up the torch sometime. There are worse circumstances for it!

DCM
03-08-2015, 12:27 PM
As Joesig said you can still pick his brain and I bet part of him may be happy to let you do just that.
We are not all as physically as fit as we once were but sure do wish we were, and the good guys are willing to help those that are stay that way etc.
Some jerks want to take all of their secrets to the grave.
And some others think they are too smart to listen or be "lectured"... can only Try to lead those to water.

Sorry for rambling.

Garyshome
03-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Too bad you didn't use more of the opportunity that was given.

country gent
03-08-2015, 02:05 PM
I have several retired gentleman friends who have bought shop equipment ( lathes mills one even a small surface grinder) who often call me for information on how to do a certain thing with their equipment. Im sure this gentleman will be more than willing to pass on the information as well. Always remeber knowledge can be given away with out giving it up.

aspangler
03-08-2015, 02:31 PM
My gunsmith is recovering from a heart attach. His 6th. Making loud noises about giving it up. He has taught me a LOT but I still learn something almost every time I am there. (Almost nightly) We are in process of several projects and I hope to learn even more. The old time smiths that can do almost anything are almost all gone.
Pick his brain. Neither one of you will regret it.

Springfield
03-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Sounds like if he stays at it someone else should volunteer to do the lifting and cleaning.

shooter93
03-08-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm very lucky....the Gun maker who does work for me is quite a bit younger than me so most likely I'll never have those problems. Truth is it seems like great Craftsmen in all the trades are getting old and there are few people coming along to replace them. I haven't been able to get younger help for years so I quit looking.

koehlerrk
03-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Sounds similar to my adventures with cast boolits. My three mentors are all in their late 70s to early 80s... With over 150 years combined experience these three men have taught me everything I know about pouring molten lead. Sometimes I'd call them and wonder what was going wrong. Usually... it was me. But they were more than happy to dispense the advice, though sometimes they had to rub my nose in my mistakes first. I learned.

Last year, the oldest, upon inspecting some of my cast boolits, declared that my five years of apprenticeship was over, that I was now a journeyman bullet caster. Hearing him say those words and to say that I had made "a nice looking batch of boolits" meant a lot to me.

Even if he can't help, talk to your old master... he's still a wealth of information. Get as much from him as you can while he's available. besides, it gives him something to do.

Buck Neck It
03-11-2015, 12:46 AM
JD Hasty, is this equipment for sale? Maybe you should buy it?

If the guy who new how to run it can help you set it up in a different place, you have absolutely the best deal you can find on used machine tools?

captain-03
03-11-2015, 10:59 AM
The real point here is the health and welfare of the 'old guy!! Hope he recovers quickly and is able to go back to the things "he" loves to do!!

firebrick43
03-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Make the man a jib hoist! Or vole there once a week to do it for him in exchange for wisdom! If he is 85 and stops doing what he loves he will be dead in months. Seen it many times. Even if he is only physically able to do something an couple of hours keep the body and brain active.

MT Chambers
03-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Horrer of Horrers, that's horreble!