PDA

View Full Version : My bench plate build

firebrick43
03-08-2015, 12:39 AM
As shown in the loading bench pics thread I built a new heavy bench. To go with it I have been constructing a new flush mount bench plate.

Here is the recess for the plate

Here is the base plate. The countersunk holes are for the hold down bolts. The large center hole will house a spring loaded pin to lock movement fore and aft. Plate is 1/4" a50 steel

These are the pins. They are 3/8-24 bolts turn on my lathe. Heads are .500" diameter and the shank is .310".

Here is the underneath side of the top plate with the pins installed. They will be adjusted for a tight but still free sliding fit. The threads will be locktite together so the won't change adjustment.

Here are the two plates together. Press will mount to the top plate.

Here is both plates together from the bottom side. Shows how they slide together and lock via the keyholes.

blikseme300
03-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Very nice work. The creativity and skill of some members here seem to be boundless. Thanks for sharing.

VHoward
03-08-2015, 01:58 PM
That is awesome. I bought Inline Fabrications version for my workbench.

firebrick43
03-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I looked at inline and think they are great products. I don't have a big hydraulic press so I can't joggle a plate like they do at the rear and their is still two wing nuts to install in the front right? There will be no tools nor nuts required to change plates on mine.

Motor
03-08-2015, 03:18 PM
OP, Have you given any concideration to lifting forces. Most people built strong benches but forget that the force applied to them is not all down force.

I've seen a few benches lift right off the floor when the press handle is being raised after sizing. Just something else to think about.

Motor

VHoward
03-08-2015, 03:37 PM
It takes me a few seconds to install the wing nuts, yes. But yours is cool too. If I had the machines to do it, I would have attempted it also.

firebrick43
03-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Even though the bench is 17" x 60" the top is 3" thick laminated 2x4" on edge. The base is doubled 2x4 mortised and tendoned together. The shelves are 2x8's planed to 1" thick and ripped to 6.5" wide. The top and shelf weight over 100lbs each and the base 60ish pounds. Two people required to move each section and then is bolted together. Add several hundred pounds and lead bullets and it's not moving. I can comfortably lift 250 lbs and I can't lift one end. So there was a little thought put into it. :cbpour:

Motor
03-08-2015, 05:19 PM
That's way too neat for me.:lol:

Motor

firebrick43
03-08-2015, 05:19 PM
It takes me a few seconds to install the wing nuts, yes. But yours is cool too. If I had the machines to do it, I would have attempted it also.

I had the plates cnc plasma cut to size. The holes were done on a drill press. The pins could have button head screws substituted instead of done on a lathe. The after drilling the ends of the slots a saber saw with metal cutting blades was used to rough the straight parts and my die filer filed the to the layout line. Most people don't have a die filer but a vise and a hand file works just as well just takes longer.

The top plates were hand tapped using a center in the drill press chuck to keep things vertical.

The biggest thing most handy individuals lack in making this is not tools but the layout and drilling to to those layout punch marks true position. You can learn how to use a wriggler on YouTube

But if you already have an inline fabrications bench plate there is little reason to change.

David2011
03-08-2015, 05:23 PM
When I built my bench plates I way over did it. The bench has 1/4x20 threaded inserts set in a fixed bolt pattern that is common to all of my plates. I mounted al of the tools on 1/2x6x12 mild steel and later moved the trimmers, priming tool and powder measures to 1/4" aircraft ply and reduced the size of the trimmer and priming tool plates to 6"x6". The ONLY complaint I have of my system is that the bench needs to be stiffer. I have a 6' section between legs that flexes downward and put a piece of steel tubing in the span to absorb downward force. The bench top flexes upward in the center so it needs a heavy piece of 2x10 or 2x12 screwed and glued from underneath to tie the front and back edgewise 2x4s together to stiffen it.

The overall construction is a 2x4 on edge perimeter frame with a 1" setback at the front and short pieces of 2x4 on edge between the front and back long sides. The top is 24"x96" oak veneered plywood with a 24"x48" piece making an L at the right end. There is a leg at the inside corner of the L, leaving the 6 foot unsupported span where the presses are mounted. It would last the rest of my life as is. The problem with the flex is that the energy spent flexing the bench is wasted energy and contributes to fatigue in a long loading session. It also transmits vibration to the Charge Master leading to unwanted powder trickles.

David

dlbarr
03-08-2015, 05:37 PM
firebrick, that's a great little invention there. AND a really nice work area - compact, effective looking & tidy. I went the easy route and bought the LEE bench plate for mine, which works fine for me.

BTW, where in west central Indiana are you - Lafayette? My hometown is Fort Wayne. Left there some 30 yrs ago but still love Indiana.

firebrick43
03-08-2015, 05:50 PM
I had a lee bench plate. It worked ok, nothing wrong per say. Just aways had to have a large screwdriver there and it wasn't flush when nothing was mounted. I work in lafayette and live west of there.

ph4570
03-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Very well done!

firebrick43
03-12-2015, 10:47 AM

Yesterday I machined the pin bushing. Used durable cast iron so it's self lubricating against a steel pin. I turned a shoulder .004" over the 7/8 hole in the plate for a press fit. Also it was .050" longer than needed and filed flush after it was pressed in. Green loctite retaining compound was also added as a precaution

This is is from the bottom side. I just turned the diameter (outside) to clean up as it not important. Approx 1.25". Over all length including shoulder is 1.75". A 21/64" drill all the way thru and a 1/2 drill 1.5"(from top) deep. Will work on the pin today.

firebrick43
03-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Here is the pin, spring, and handle. Made the the pin and handle from a grade 10 bolt. Machined beautifully with carbide tooling but I should have single pointed the threads. I used a die and it was hell for such a small section of 1/4-20.
The spring was wound from .032 music wire. Please don't laugh at it. I didn't want to set up the lathe as it would take 1/2 hour or more instead of 2 min by hand. Handle is grooved for grip.

Completed base plate

Artful
03-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Nice, surprised you didn't just fish a spring for the catch all drawer - I have a bunch of stuff in mine.