PDA

View Full Version : Got a SKS and have questions

Remiel
03-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Picked up an SKS today(birthday present to myself) and was told it was a chinese, however when i got most of the cosmoline off there were no Chinese markings, the dust cover Sino Soviet but the rest(all matching except dust cover) are stamped with the serial and Russian characters. Any ideas?

Fishman
03-08-2015, 12:17 AM
Probably will need a pic of the whole rifle from the side.

Garyshome
03-08-2015, 12:31 AM
I think Norincos all have a chrome bore.

Remiel
03-08-2015, 12:48 AM
Will get it disassembled and get more pics in the mornin

Dhammer
03-08-2015, 12:58 AM
You may have scored big time!!!

Remiel
03-08-2015, 01:38 AM
You may have scored big time!!!

yeah got it apart(pics coming) and its all stamped matching and in russian, buddy of mine thinks it was sold to the chinese with the tooling,

leebuilder
03-08-2015, 09:03 AM
The original chincoms were made under russian direction in china, your was made in 59 far as i can tell. I have a similar rifle.
Next to no markings, first year production sino soviet and unfired.
Hard to tell, they made tons of them,,, niffty.

GhostHawk
03-08-2015, 10:20 AM
You have a gem, enjoy it!

Remiel
03-08-2015, 11:51 AM
nice thing is i paid 425.00 for it

gew98
03-08-2015, 12:02 PM
$425 seems high to me , unless it's a vietnam bringback - does it lack import markings ?. I've seen them marked on the barrel bottom and on the receiver. Almost bought an SKS or two until I found the import marking polished off the underside of the barrel.

JeffHolt
03-08-2015, 12:05 PM
www.skssurvivor.com (http://www.skssurvivor.com) is your friend.

Dhammer
03-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Prices have gone up. I was shocked to see what people were selling them around where I live and its a repressed area. My favorite is the hype on the yugo's some put on em.
. I've seen a lot of bad Yugo's but never seen a bad Chinese. I get in theory why they Yugo should be better but people forget large lots of em already past their last leg were sent over here. Me I'd take a Norinco over a Yugo any day. Pieces have me tempted to sell mine. But, I don't like to sell anything. ;)

kungfustyle
03-08-2015, 12:25 PM
They are a blast. Enjoy your rifle and the $5 per box of 20. Can't reload for that....
I really like my tech sight (http://www.tech-sights.com/) if you want to do any add-ons later. Have fun with it.

Garyshome
03-08-2015, 12:42 PM
My yugo would not function needed gas tube/piston/gas valve. My norinco looked un fired.

Remiel
03-08-2015, 12:55 PM
In NY any semi auto is pricy and still lower than most on GB in the same condition

VintageRifle
03-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Great looking rifle. Could be a Russian sneak. Russian rifle imported with the last batches of Chinese military SKS rifles.

groovy mike
03-08-2015, 04:54 PM
The Russians set up the Chinese factories. In general the Russian SKS have blade bayonets the Chinese have spikes. Soviet have a star, Chinese have a factory code (like a 26 inside a triangle). For all things SKS search SKS boards fourums

Dhammer
03-08-2015, 06:04 PM
That balde/spike thing isn't correct. I saw hundreds at a min in early 90's where the chinese all had the blade bayo. As in every gun store and show the blade was the norm on the Chinese sks's from FL,GA and IL.

Remiel
03-08-2015, 07:53 PM
looks like a '52 Tula based on the sks forum notes, i did get a chance to shoot it today, shoots good, cycles good and no slam fire issues. no other markings other than the proof marks and serial, I do think it may be a "sneak" and stated previously. it is import marked as made in china, dont think the importer and the LGS knew what it was

Dhammer
03-08-2015, 08:09 PM
If thats what they did, they new exactly what they were doing. The read on how the whole Chinese M1a1's came about and fake British head stamped 308 made in China to set us up as fall guy is an interesting read. But even those A1's and ammo eventually made it over to the the US since it was all about making money.

Remiel
03-08-2015, 08:20 PM
All i know is that i have a very good condition rifle and will go back to the LGS and see if the other one is the same, or just get more ammo

VintageRifle
03-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Delete

GhostHawk
03-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Remial, I certainly would look at that second one. I bought a Yugo SKS, from gunbroker last year and I have enjoyed it immensely. It is a bit heavy, and has its little tricks.
But it shoots like gangbusters, easy to strip and clean.

Privi Partizan or Red Army Standard "Elite" are the best buys for boxer primed brass I've found in the last year.

As to whoever said you can't afford to reload for this caliber, think again.

Bullet, lead cost me 1$ a pound I get between 35 and 50 bullets per pound. A single mold costs 20$ and will cast bullets for a LONG time. So Bullet cost is 2 cents if you cast your own.

Primers cost 3-4 cents each. Powder can be as cheap as a penny or 2 for Red Dot or as high as 10 cents for fast rifle powders.

So your cost per bullet can be as low as 7-8 cents each which is still cheaper than .22LR ammo.
Or up to 20 cents each, 5 for a dollar, 4 dollars a box which still beats out the cheap steel case.
And if you are careful, is easily more accurate.

Remiel
03-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Remial, I certainly would look at that second one. I bought a Yugo SKS, from gunbroker last year and I have enjoyed it immensely. It is a bit heavy, and has its little tricks.
But it shoots like gangbusters, easy to strip and clean.

Privi Partizan or Red Army Standard "Elite" are the best buys for boxer primed brass I've found in the last year.

As to whoever said you can't afford to reload for this caliber, think again.

Bullet, lead cost me 1$ a pound I get between 35 and 50 bullets per pound. A single mold costs 20$ and will cast bullets for a LONG time. So Bullet cost is 2 cents if you cast your own.

Primers cost 3-4 cents each. Powder can be as cheap as a penny or 2 for Red Dot or as high as 10 cents for fast rifle powders.

So your cost per bullet can be as low as 7-8 cents each which is still cheaper than .22LR ammo.
Or up to 20 cents each, 5 for a dollar, 4 dollars a box which still beats out the cheap steel case.
And if you are careful, is easily more accurate.

yeah that was the general idea, between this an my mosins i have some cheap and accurate shooters now

DR Owl Creek
03-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Those markings appear to be Russian. I doubt the Chi-Coms would have used those on anything they built.

Dave

Gtek
03-09-2015, 11:59 AM
If this is your first SKS please remember that single feeding rounds and releasing from lock at rear and sending to battery creates a situation for inertia firing. Some were made with spring on firing pin, IIRC none of the Chi-Coms had but there is an aftermarket kit that can be installed. Always a good idea to check for firing pin freedom of movement on this platform, make sure all cosmo or whatever is out of there before fun time.

Remiel
03-09-2015, 12:57 PM
If this is your first SKS please remember that single feeding rounds and releasing from lock at rear and sending to battery creates a situation for inertia firing. Some were made with spring on firing pin, IIRC none of the Chi-Coms had but there is an aftermarket kit that can be installed. Always a good idea to check for firing pin freedom of movement on this platform, make sure all cosmo or whatever is out of there before fun time.

I read up on that before getting one, the bolt was fully disassembled and gone over twice, the pin moves freely and I am meticulous enough to go over it again when i was done shooting, in fact i plan to field strip it today and give it a good cleaning even though i only put 20 rounds thru it, need to do the same to the AR i just built and tested so i figure why not

Skipper
03-09-2015, 01:06 PM
I read up on that before getting one, the bolt was fully disassembled and gone over twice, the pin moves freely and I am meticulous enough to go over it again when i was done shooting, in fact i plan to field strip it today and give it a good cleaning even though i only put 20 rounds thru it, need to do the same to the AR i just built and tested so i figure why not

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Remiel
03-09-2015, 01:11 PM
http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

looked into that too, my friend has a Yugo with that and he keeps breaking springs, last one jammed the firing pin and caused a hell of a mess, i may go that route or not as long as i watch what i feed it and keep it clean either way it should not be an issue

Remiel
03-09-2015, 09:42 PM
So went back to the LGS and looked at the other SKS, its another Russian, an Izhevsk to boot, another customer has it on layaway, he is going to be a very happy fella one its cleaned up(covered in cosmoline as well)